Thread: Need help rehabbers.

sparkysmom Guest

Default Need help rehabbers.

My son was cleaning the dog pen today, he was spraying it down with clorox water and also putting out 7 dust. He lifted the dog house and there was a nest of what we think are baby field mice. They are tiny. We took them and bathed them for any clorox that might have run down on them as it was wet under the dog house. They are very healthy looking, pink and just starting to get fur on them. My problem is knowing how to feed these tiny things. Help please.

CliffordandDaisy'sDad Guest

Default Re: Need help rehabbers.

These two sites seem to be highly recommended on the internet.

http://www.rmca.org/Articles/orphans.htm

http://mouseranch.com/FYI/orphans.shtml

Those two sites got me thru my first experience last year rehabbing 6 baby deer mice...it's excellent info and you'll see they aren't all that different from squirrels with regard to their needs....only thing is they are self-feeding in 2 weeks (yippee!)
    Island Rehabber
    NY State Licensed
    Wildlife Rehabilitator

"Ancora Imparo" (I am still learning)
    Michelangelo

If you can't afford the vet,
    You can't afford a pet.
    NEGLECT IS ABUSE.

"Better one day in the trees, than a lifetime in a cage."

'...and the greatest of these, is Love. '

wow. just to warn you, mice are difficult to raise. i mean, not the work you have to do, but their mortality rates.....ugh. just don't feel terribly guilty if they die. i mean, it's definitely not hopeless, but every mouse i've ever had has died....poor little things. course, i always get injured adults, not babies.

thanks for caring for them. not everyone would do that.
    :bounce2thundersquirrel:bounce2

CliffordandDaisy'sDad Guest

Linda, how are they doing this morning?? and how are you doing??

sparkysmom Guest

They are doing great, my daughter set up a box outside last night where the nest was, put some nuts and cheese in it and it appears the mother may have come back. There are droppings. They just got through eating again and we are going to put them outside and watch to see if she comes back. These are the tiniest things I have ever seen in my life. They are peeing and pooping so I guess thats a good sign. Wish us luck.

sparkysmom Guest

Update on the baby mice. All are still alive after 24 hours, my daughter has worked diligently with them. I think she has come up with a way to feed them. She took a baggie, made a small hole with a hypodermic need in the corner and put the formula in it. (She is a firefighter/emt) doesn't routinely have those laying around the house. The babies seemed to like it, was soft and they all actually ate pretty good. The corner was just right for them to hold onto. Hope things go as well tomorrow. We will see.

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.