Thread: What food to feed and at what age???

Default What food to feed and at what age???

My husband found a squirrel about 11 days ago. Eyes closed. He’s drinking formula great and bathroom business is going good. He opened only one of his eyes 5 days ago. Is that normal for just one eye to remain closed for that long? I’m trying to figure out what’s next. I know he will stay on formula for a while but what do I introduce next and when? And what about his heating pad? I still have him on one because it’s just him but when do I start just using it at night?

Default Re: What food to feed and at what age???

As for food, get Henry's blocks or a quality rodent block like muzuri or Kaytee.
    Heating pad you can remove once you see she is sleeping on the opposite side of the bin than the heating pad is on.

As for the one eye closed still I will leave that to the more knowledgeable members.

There could be a problem with the eye that is preventing it from opening. Don’t force it open. I think others have had that happen but I’m not sure what was recommended.

At 5 weeks he will probably use the heating pad for several more weeks. I think my older guys liked the heat until about 7-8 weeks. Once they were ready for a cage they were also ready to give up the heat.

Quote Originally Posted by Mel1959 View Post
    There could be a problem with the eye that is preventing it from opening. Don’t force it open. I think others have had that happen but I’m not sure what was recommended.

At 5 weeks he will probably use the heating pad for several more weeks. I think my older guys liked the heat until about 7-8 weeks. Once they were ready for a cage they were also ready to give up the heat.

He just ate about a hour ago and I noticed a tiny slit in the eye!! I was really starting to worry. And could you give me some advice on food. I know he’s going to be on formula for a while but do I go ahead and put out a water bottle? And what food should I give first?

First food should be a quality rodent block. This should be thier primary source of solid foods, here is a chart of other foods you can feed,
    Attached Images Attached Images  

6. Serious fuzzy thank you's to TamiKakes from:

Kbroset (09-24-2018)

8. Serious fuzzy thank you's to cava from:

TamiKakes (09-24-2018)