Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Three newbies

Default Three newbies

Hi Guys!

I offered to help and picked up three little ones tonight, their weights are 89, 100 and 129 grams. Their eyes opened two weeks ago putting them at 7 weeks which I can’t fathom. I needed to help them potty after eating tonight. They have been with a licensed rehabbed so eye openings are concrete as well as care provided. They are just all over the place for development it seems. Has anyone experienced this?

Default Re: Three newbies

It's not unusual. I'm guessing the little one is a runt.
    Well, that didn't take long. 3 added to the house... already.
    How many more would you like?

3. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to HRT4SQRLS:

island rehabber (09-23-2018), Mel1959 (09-23-2018)

How long have you had them now? You said "I needed to help them potty after eating tonight". Has this happened after past feedings, or was this your first time feeding them since you got them?
    If this was your first feeding, Kudos for staying on top what they are doing, but you may want to wait and see if this is a repeated pattern. They may just be nervous with a new person and new environment.
    Sorta like how it is hard to 'go' in front of strangers in a public bathroom.

Quote Originally Posted by Sottinger View Post
    Hi Guys!

I offered to help and picked up three little ones tonight, their weights are 89, 100 and 129 grams. Their eyes opened two weeks ago putting them at 7 weeks which I can’t fathom. I needed to help them potty after eating tonight. They have been with a licensed rehabbed so eye openings are concrete as well as care provided. They are just all over the place for development it seems. Has anyone experienced this?
    I have a little one that is 88 grams and is probably 7 weeks old, too. I potty my squirrels for as long as they’ll let me because it keeps their cage/bin cleaner.

I’m on the opposite coast from you. If you’d like me to take your littlest one to be a buddy for my little guy we could make arrangements to meet somewhere.

Quote Originally Posted by HRT4SQRLS View Post
    It's not unusual. I'm guessing the little one is a runt.
    Well, that didn't take long. 3 added to the house... already.
    How many more would you like?
    This is plenty!!

This is plenty!!
    Oh, you're just getting started now!! There are plenty more where those came from.

Quote Originally Posted by Javarat View Post
    How long have you had them now? You said "I needed to help them potty after eating tonight". Has this happened after past feedings, or was this your first time feeding them since you got them?
    If this was your first feeding, Kudos for staying on top what they are doing, but you may want to wait and see if this is a repeated pattern. They may just be nervous with a new person and new environment.
    Sorta like how it is hard to 'go' in front of strangers in a public bathroom.
    This was my first time feeding them yes. I tried but was never able to potty Nibbles. That as well makes me wonder if they are indeed younger and eyes opened early. Your example made me laugh 😂

Quote Originally Posted by Mel1959 View Post
    I have a little one that is 88 grams and is probably 7 weeks old, too. I potty my squirrels for as long as they’ll let me because it keeps their cage/bin cleaner.

I’m on the opposite coast from you. If you’d like me to take your littlest one to be a buddy for my little guy we could make arrangements to meet somewhere.
    I wouldn’t mind but I spent four hours on the road yesterday to help out with these guys. My hubby would absolutely lose it if I mentioned another road trip today! 🙈 She still had 11 more and is between us. Would you like me to pm contact info? She had placed ten others before I arrived. Bless her. I couldn’t imagine trying to care for 20+ babies. Never mind the little raccoons. I could’ve spent hours there just googling over the little babies.

This was my first time feeding them yes. I tried but was never able to potty Nibbles. That as well makes me wonder if they are indeed younger and eyes opened early. Your example made me laugh ��
    I typically say "Happy Birthday! You are now 5 weeks old!" when they open their eyes, but I think the fur on their tummy is a better indicator of age.
    It seems to be pretty solid that they hit 5 weeks when the fur has appeared on the top 75% of the tummy.. with just a bit of bare pink skin left at the bottom.
    Also fur appears on their inner thighs right at 5 weeks.
    I just had a 4 week old who is merged with four 5 weeks old that opened her eyes almost a week early. (She has the cutest little chipmunk eyes right now)
    I think opening their eyes may have more to do with activity in the nest than their actual age. I guess they want (need?) to see what the ruckus is about.
    I had one single, who experienced very little activity, who did not open his eyes until he was clearly 6 weeks old (fully covered tummy and tail getting bushy)

Nibbles is notably pissed I must add 😂. He chattered for a solid 10 minutes after I placed their bin in the room with his cage last night. I am keeping them separate of course. He’s in the bedroom with dad now while I prep to feed again. He has a lot of free time with us as he’s been a singleton for the last two months. I really wish I’d learned more and found him a buddy too before he grew up. He’s even running in my shirt and nustling around my boobs which he hasn’t done in forever. I swear it’s like the older sibling that demands attention and still wants to be the baby! 🤣

I have also had some that I spent 10 minutes trying to potty, gave up and returned to the bin, and they IMMEDIATELY squatted and unloaded in the bed linen.
    Or right on top of their sibling.

Nibbles is notably pissed I must add 😂. He chattered for a solid 10 minutes after I placed their bin in the room with his cage last night. I am keeping them separate of course. He’s in the bedroom with dad now while I prep to feed again. He has a lot of free time with us as he’s been a singleton for the last two months. I really wish I’d learned more and found him a buddy too before he grew up. He’s even running in my shirt and nustling around my boobs which he hasn’t done in forever. I swear it’s like the older sibling that demands attention and still wants to be the baby! 🤣
    Be VERY careful. A chattering squirrel WILL bite the hand that feeds them.
    He will bite you and then give you the look.... I didn't give you permission to do that.

Quote Originally Posted by HRT4SQRLS View Post

Be VERY careful. A chattering squirrel WILL bite the hand that feeds them.
    He will bite you and then give you the look.... I didn't give you permission to do that.
    Yes I’ve learned this with him. He seems to be more the “I’m irritated with something” versus “I’m furious beyond repair” and leap right into a bite thankfully.

If you wouldn’t mind sending me her contact info in a pm, that would be great.

Is your plan to release Nibbles? Or is he a NR?

Quote Originally Posted by Mel1959 View Post
    If you wouldn’t mind sending me her contact info in a pm, that would be great.

Is your plan to release Nibbles? Or is he a NR?
    I will release. He’s a healthy, active boy. I admit I’m terrified something will happen to him but that won’t stop me from letting him be free. I’ve bought him an outdoor nest box in hopes he’ll use it and stay close by.

Sending her number by pm now.

Yes I’ve learned this with him. He seems to be more the “I’m irritated with something” versus “I’m furious beyond repair” and leap right into a bite thankfully.
    This made me laugh out loud, and glad I was not drinking when I read it.
    I like how you have created a scale of phrases for his irritation level.

18. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Javarat from:

Sottinger (09-23-2018)

Quote Originally Posted by Javarat View Post
    This made me laugh out loud, and glad I was not drinking when I read it.
    I like how you have created a scale of phrases for his irritation level.
    Most definitely. When he reaches that point there’s no chatter. He lunges, let’s out a growl that sounds like SQUEEEE and gives a warning bite. That has rarely been towards me but happens every single time my daughter tries to come near him. I’ve finally asked her to just please stop. She has three cats plus volunteers at a cat shelter and he clearly thinks she’s a 5’ tall hairless cat herself from the smells on her. The one time he got me and drew blood was after playing with my dogs. I now scrub up to my elbows after.

Help! Just found what looked like a tiny flea on one. Smashed it and saw blood so I know it’s some sort of little blood sucker.

Will a dawn bath be sufficient?

Edit: after a google search it looks more like lice. Now I’m itching just thinking about it! Anyone near me with extra Revolution on hand I could borrow or buy? They are old enough for this since their eyes are open and fully furred?

Back when I raised a liter we got the over the counter spray on the rear for lice for small mammals product that has Geranium noted as a main ingredient, that works for mites, and lice. Ours had mites, really small, hard to see, which tickle when they crawl on you hand. Just about any pet store carries this. I wouldn't spray it though, save to spray it on a Que-tip to apply it to the area under their tails, aka: their, "fuzz butt", and rub it in. You'll probably have to treat again in a couple of weeks to get the ones that have hatched out since.

Be sure to keep the babies warm while they are drying no matter what you decide to use.

https://www.petguys.com/8in1-ultraca...tml#undefined2

https://www.amazon.com/Eight-One-Ult.../dp/B000NGU7R2

The above spray product contains Pyrethrins as the main active ingredient, again used on the rear rubbed into the fur.

I would think as long as the babies can hold body heat you can use dawn in warm water as a separate treatment.

Be sure to let your daughter know to not bring the squirrels near the cats, or vice versa,

as cats carry a deadly bacteria to squirrels in their saliva that can kill a rodent if bitten, let alone a bite itself.

A given then that cats should not be allowed anywhere near squirrels either, not even in the same room;

and to wash your hands in between handling either.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast