Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Three newbies

Default Re: Three newbies

Couple new pics with Nibbles on top and the babies just waking up from napping. The babies are Nibby (female), and Chip and Dale for the two boys.Name:  4047DBA6-126D-4F62-9C7F-0E54599BC915.jpg
Views: 100
Size:  116.1 KBName:  33581608-8E06-41F7-9672-7F74799F516B.jpg
Views: 79
Size:  113.9 KB

2. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Sottinger from:

Jen413 (10-23-2018)

Porch finally finished and all four moved out today..
    Attached Images Attached Images  

4. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Sottinger from:

Jen413 (10-23-2018)

I had the door open from noon until a half hour ago. One ventured just a few feet out and right back in, another left for a couple hours right after I stepped inside to shower and couldn't see them but came back right as the sun was setting. The third had no interest in exploring outside at all. Does it often take more than a day? I even sat in the yard for a while thinking they might come to me. No luck. Any suggestions or advice is greatly welcomed!

Quote Originally Posted by Sottinger View Post
    I had the door open from noon until a half hour ago. One ventured just a few feet out and right back in, another left for a couple hours right after I stepped inside to shower and couldn't see them but came back right as the sun was setting. The third had no interest in exploring outside at all. Does it often take more than a day? I even sat in the yard for a while thinking they might come to me. No luck. Any suggestions or advice is greatly welcomed!
    When I released River, I took her out first thing in the morning, I think the earlier the better as long as the sun is up and the weather is good. She was very wild and could not be contained. In her case, I had to go outside with her in a backpack to walk to a good spot and then sit there basically from dawn to dusk while she climbed and ran around, then back in the pack at dusk until one evening she did not come back to me. Visited her the next morning and she came down just to say, "Dad, you're embarrassing me in front of the other squirrels !! Go home!" And never talked to me again...

Be patient, give them time. It's good they are scared, it'll keep them alive and alert! Our motto on this house is "Never not be afraid!"

Last edited by SquirrelDad; 11-10-2018 at 05:18 PM. Reason: Spelling

7. Serious fuzzy thank you's to SquirrelDad from:

Sottinger (11-10-2018)

When I opened the release portal for my first two one hid in the nest box, the other explored everything in sight. Yes, it can take a few days. Let him go at his own pace and be around for encouragement.

9. Serious fuzzy thank you's to cava from:

Sottinger (11-10-2018)

It's happens. We call it 'failure to launch'.
    Try again tomorrow. Eventually they get the hang of it and off they go. I've had a few that ate breakfast and went back to bed with the release door open. I feed them in the AM and release early.

I released today also. One escaped Sunday and the other 3 released today. I would have just released the others but it was supposed to rain (it didn't). They were more than ready to go so I had no hesitation at all.

11. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to HRT4SQRLS:

cava (11-11-2018), Sottinger (11-10-2018)

I worked until 5am this morning so noon was literally the earliest I could drag myself up to do it and not go back to bed. I wanted to sit out with them and watch. Three hours and nada then out Chip went when I stepped away. Little booger! I thought he'd robbed me of one exit photo I was so dying to get of them once their little feet hit the trees. ❤️ I also have the dilemma that Nibbles is caged when they're out so I've already closed their cage door and opened his and planned to give him the morning play time. My attempt at letting all four together wasn't a success. No one got hurt but he did pounce and roll one of them and he sat scared and making alarm calls for several minutes after. It was enough I don't want them out together anymore. I only am releasing them first because he's the one I expect will come back to his bed for a good while and also because they began building a drey with the tree I drug in. He has no interest in the natural bedding whatsoever. Tonight when I went back again the three were snuggled in their nest and not the cage. He always always goes back to his cage. I feel like I need a second porch now. 🙈

All four are in the trees today!! They are all hanging very close by. I see one or another every time I walk out to check. And Nibbles was just in front of my shop what appeared to be looking for me. He jumped right on me and made a few laps then off back to the tree.

14. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Sottinger:

HRT4SQRLS (11-11-2018), island rehabber (11-11-2018)

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12