Thread: Natural bedding?

Question Natural bedding?

I just upgraded my two little squirrel babies to a larger tote and was curious if i could use pine straw in their box instead of fabric? Cotton is also starting to come up so was wondering if that could be used as well? Does anyone have advice on if this would be a good idea? Thanks for any input!

Default Re: Natural bedding?

I always stick with a flat cloth bottom on any cage, it's so much easier to fold up and shake out in the garbage and to clean in general. Sheets, sort nap rugs, etc. I have cleaned plenty of stuffing and shredded, poo and pee filled confetti out of cages and that alone kept me from using natural bedding. I do always bring nature in and that also becomes poo confetti but at least they got to play with it first.

To answer your question, I think pine straw is a no-no. Aromatics, or something.

3. Serious fuzzy thank you's to cava from:

Lake Gypsy (09-23-2018)

Bringing in pine straw may also bring in things like mites and fleas that are too small for you to see.
    So I tend to stick to blankets and materials I feel safe about, and can routinely disinfect.

5. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Javarat:

Diggie's Friend (09-23-2018), Lake Gypsy (09-23-2018)

I decided not to use the pine straw because i was worried about mites, parasites etc. Just used fabric like usual. They seem to like their new house and have been out tussling with each other and checking out their block pieces. Thank y'all for your input

7. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Lake Gypsy from:

cava (09-24-2018)

Gypz Guest

Is Cypress safe to put in a cage for climbing? Neighbors just trimmed off big branches off their tree! And I also noticed my cage had a couple of roaches in it!! Any suggestions for natrual safe roach repellant! When I clean it I use little bleach