Thread: Underweight baby grey squirrel

NickieNak Guest

Default Underweight baby grey squirrel

Hi, I have recently acquired a 7 week old baby squirrel, he is very underweight and looks like he is walking funny on his back legs. He was 53 grams 2 days ago and now weighs 69 grams. I want to give him Metacam, how much would you recommend and any other help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you x

Default Re: Underweight baby grey squirrel

Quote Originally Posted by NickieNak View Post
    Hi, I have recently acquired a 7 week old baby squirrel, he is very underweight and looks like he is walking funny on his back legs. He was 53 grams 2 days ago and now weighs 69 grams. I want to give him Metacam, how much would you recommend and any other help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you x
    Are you sure of that weight? 16 grams in two days would be pretty remarkable.
    What is the strength of the Metacam?
    Can you post a picture or better yet a video of your baby.

Go to this link this is a HUGE help.
    It's 6 pages long with the next button on the top right corner.
    http://www.henryspets.com/baby-squirrel-care/
    Step-N-Stone
    State Licensed
    Wildlife Master Rehabilitator

3. Serious fuzzy thank you's to stepnstone from:

Spanky (09-21-2018)

NickieNak Guest

The dosage of metacam I have is 1.5mg. He has lost some of the weight today. He seems very lethargic today.

Name:  42133572_2083563541714458_6418638275216408576_n.jpg
Views: 110
Size:  105.7 KBName:  42144627_311534052955595_6445278694633111552_n.jpg
Views: 106
Size:  101.8 KBName:  42311803_315702619010402_7163631130443251712_n.jpg
Views: 101
Size:  64.7 KB

NickieNak Guest

He has now gone back to 51grams, please help as I dont want to lose him x

What are you feeding him and why do you want to give Metacam?
    redwuff
    State Licensed
    Master Wildlife Rehabilitator

NickieNak Guest

Quote Originally Posted by redwuff View Post
    What are you feeding him and why do you want to give Metacam?
    I am feeding him at the moment farleys rusks with goats milk, and for rehydration giving him sugared water. I think he may be in pain and want something to help him. Am I doing anything wrong, I am so worried for him x

Exclamation Re: Underweight baby grey squirrel

Hold him up to your ear and listen to his breathing: Do you hear a click with each breath?

Clicking, loss of appetite and lethargy are signs of Aspiration Pneumonia (AP). Has he aspirated.. had formula or the sugar water come out his nose while eating?

If this is AP you will need antibiotics. The best choice is Cipro (Ciprofloxacin - human form) or Baytril (Enrofloxacin - Animal form). Other options include Augementin/Clavamox but if you can find any antibiotics at all tell us what you have and we'll let you know if that will work on AP and help you dose it. If this is AP, and it seems like he has the symptoms, time is of the essence so please act quickly to locate antibiotics.

The Goat's Milk is only a temporary formula, in the UK I am unsure if you have Esbilac *the powdered version) available. I do believe you have Royal Canin puppy formula which is acceptable as a s1quirrel formula.

Here is a 6 page primer on baby squirrel care:
    https://www.henryspets.com/1-basic-setup/

9. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Spanky from:

redwuff (09-22-2018)

NickieNak Guest

Good news is there is no clicking, I will go now and buy some royal canin puppy formula. Thank you so much, do I still add the rusks to it and is there anything else I can be feeding him to help him on his way to recovery.

Good news is there is no clicking, I will go now and buy some royal canin puppy formula. Thank you so much, do I still add the rusks to it and is there anything else I can be feeding him to help him on his way to recovery.

No, you do not want to add the rusks to the Royal Canin but you will want to make the formula transition slowly over 4 or 5 feedings. The 6 page primer I posted a link to discusses this process... read the six pages and let us know if you have any questions.

NickieNak Guest

Thank you very much and will keep you informed x

NickieNak Guest

Thanks for everyones help yesterday but he never made it, he passed away at 9.30 this morning uk time, his heart had already stopped once and I got him back but this time I tried but nothing, R.I.P little fella xxx

Awww, I am so sorry.

These guys are so precious that they take a piece of our heart with them. Thank you for caring. I know greys are vilified in the U.K.
    redwuff
    State Licensed

NickieNak Guest

Quote Originally Posted by redwuff View Post
    Awww, I am so sorry.

These guys are so precious that they take a piece of our heart with them. Thank you for caring. I know greys are vilified in the U.K.
    I have been a mess all day, and yes he took a piece of my heart with him too. I wish I could have just done more for him xxx

I have been a mess all day, and yes he took a piece of my heart with him too. I wish I could have just done more for him xxx
    He looked severely underweight. It must have too little too late. He looked beautiful.

Once one comes to you, more will follow.
    redwuff
    State Licensed

Members who have read this thread: 1