Thread: Baby aspirated before receiving it.

Default Baby aspirated before receiving it.

Hi,

I am a wild life rehabber and I acquired a 67 gram squirrel.

I generally deal with fawns. This is the first squirrel I have had in a few years.

Initially the wee one was doing fantastic. This morning he was fussy at feeding time. This last feeding time he wanted no part of it. AND, what I thought was him fussing this morning, now I think it is actually him having difficulty breathing.

I called the lady back that had him for 3 days before I got him (GW confiscated the squirrel) and ask her if he had ever aspirated while feeding. She ask what is that? SMH and I explained it to her. She said oh he did that all the time and she said she just tipped him upside down, wiped his nose and kept feeding.

SOOO, I fear we have pnuemonia here and I need help.

My antibiotic supply is limited to fawn, my vet is closed until monday so I hope I have something here that I can give him.

I have Albon, liquid and tablet SMZ/TMP. The rest of my supply is injection based antibiotics.

Will either of these help? If so, what is the dose for a 67?

Default Re: Baby aspirated before receiving it.

I want to add:

SMZ/TMP tablets I have are 800mg/160mg

SMZ/TMP oral I have is 200mg/40mg

Albon is 5%.

I remember giving a squirrel SMZ/TMP in the past by dissolving a tablet in water but have misplaced my notes on dosage.

Thanks so much for your help.

Quote Originally Posted by etwr View Post
    I have Albon, liquid and tablet SMZ/TMP. The rest of my supply is injection based antibiotics.

Will either of these help? If so, what is the dose for a 67?
    The SMZ/TMP is pretty slow acting but it can work.

What do you have by way of injectable antibiotics (some, like enrofloxacin) can be given orally.

Quote Originally Posted by Spanky View Post
    The SMZ/TMP is pretty slow acting but it can work.

What do you have by way of injectable antibiotics (some, like enrofloxacin) can be given orally.
    Thank so much.

Injectable I have:

Nuflor gold

Pen-g

Duran pen

Excenel RTU and also Naxcel (excenel rtu is the ready to use form of Naxcel

I also have some 500 mg cephalexin capsules

I also want to add:

I hear no distinctive 'clicking' like I have had in the past with squirrels and when he sleeps his breathing is good with no grunting.

But he was a great eater yesterday but today, this morning feeding he was grunting a lot which I thought he was fussing at me but the second feeding today he would not eat at all and was grunting worse.

Poo and pee are PERFECT.

I started him on goat milk/HWC and yogurt until my Esbilac gets here this afternoon and he has done wonderfully on this, until today......

He has this grunting that is getting worse each feeding today and I am concerned this is moving to something from all of this aspiration the lady now admits he had the three days she had him.

Update on this little one:

Still not interested in eating this feeding round. Only took about 1 cc. Same formula as yesterday when it was eager to eat. No issues on final feeding of the day yesterday. This morning, not interested and has been this way all day.

This feeding round he sneezed a few times so I am feeling like, yes, we have a problem brewing here.

I am afraid the lady that had this baby has caused pnuemonia. No heating pad for the three days she had him and from the sounds of it, aspirating with every feeding.

I found a dosage for Amoxicillin and I do have some of those. I am going to just start that and hope someone comes along with the Bactrium or Albon dosage.

Great week for my Vet to be on vacation. I am on my own until and will have to make do with what I have until Monday

Of all you have listed the Bactrim (SMZ/TMP) is probably the best choice... give me a few minutes and I will PM you doing instructions... can you confirm that the liquid you have is 200mg/40mg per 5ML?

Thank you Spanky.

You helped me with Esbilac back in 2015. Spanky to the rescue

Yes, I just looked and the smz/tmp oral suspension is 200mg/40mg / 5 ml

PM sent with dosing information! Keep us posted!