Thread: Urine test strips?

Question Urine test strips?

Could someone recommend urine test strips (eg ph, sugar etc) that are accurate for squirrels that one could get from amazon/pharmacy or something?
    Since strips generally are meant for humans, how accurate are they for squirrels?

Who’s tried and found them reflecting a sq’s urine situation fairly accurately?

Default Re: Urine test strips?

Hi Astra: I have been using these "for human" urinalisys strips with 11 parameters, from Amazon for 7 years now:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I have found them to be accurate, at least by comparing the pH to other pH reagent strips and electronic laboratory-grade pH meters. So I would infer that the other parameters are consistent and as accurate. As far as being for human use, mammals urine is just about the same no matter what member of the "mammal" animal kingdom you sample from.

Word of cautions though:
    1-Collect the urine in a super clean surface. Glass, ceramic or LDPE/HDPE plastic being the best because they can be washed and dried.
    2-Do not clean collecting surfaces with 409, bleach, Windex, IPA alcohol, soap, detergent, shampoo, etc. Although some urinalisys strips instructions say IPA alcohol is O.K. because it dries completely, nobody knows what level of contamination or residue is in the IPA you are using, as no alcohol is 100% alcohol, but has small percentages of contaminants or process chemicals residue.
    3-Clean collecting surface with new and unscented paper towels (not cotton towels you use in kitchen or anywhere else) and very hot water.
    4-Let the urine sample come to ambient temperature. This usually means you need to wait for the sample to cool down as squees body temperature is 101.5F normally.
    5-Collect the sample with a clean and washed syringe (wash the syringe with detergent and rinse at least 10 times with hot water. let dry completely.
    6-Pick a test strip from the plain end and DO NOT TOUCH any of the squares. Of course, wash your hands before doing it.
    7-Place a small drop of urine in each parameter square on the strip and let each drop stay within the square of the parameter without letting the urine of one square mingle with the urine of the squares next to it, and vice versa. This is because each parameter square has reagent chemicals that will give either false positive or negative results if it gets cross contaminated.
    8-Read each parameter exactly at the time in seconds indicated on each square. Too early or too late will give false positive/negative results. I use my iPhone timer which I start the moment I place the first drop on the square with the shortest time (usually 30 seconds) and place the next drop on the square with the next higher time (45 seconds). Do not start with the square with the highest time (120 seconds).
    9-Use daylight light if possible to asses color in the comparison chart. If at night, try not to use fluorescent light or bright white LED light. Incandescent or even candle light would be better than fluorescent or LED.
    10-Do not use polarized or tinted glasses to asses colors.
    11-If in doubt with one parameter color, repeat the test on another strip with new urine from the same collected sample. Strips do have a tendency to vary within the same batch.
    12-Do not use past expiration date.
    13-Keep container in cool and tightly closed.

If you are consistent in the process, your readings will be consistent too. The enclosed instructions will give you pointers on how urine with too high pH or too low specific gravity or other high/low parameters, could throw other parameters off into false readings, even if you followed 1 thru 13 properly, so read your values as a whole and not individually.

Good luck,

Trooper's dad
    __________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ _________________________________
    " When you save someone's life, you're responsible for theirs for the rest of yours" - Confucius
    Trooper's Troop: Plain, Rufina, Scratchy, Runty, Blackie, Beanie, Biff, PreetyBoy, Limpy, Jaws, Scarface, Badtail and Housemama
    Trooper's Story at: http://www.mixbook.com/photo-books/interests/trooper-friends-9554554?vk=759PD8gn7A

3. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Trooper from:

astra (09-19-2018)

Thank you very much, Trooper's Dad: and for the quick reply, and for the link, and especially for the very detailed and super needed and helpful explanations/instructions!!!!!

Astra; you are welcome. I think doing urine sampling on a consistent basis, like every Saturday in the morning with first urine sample, for example, will give you a good "big picture' of how your pet is doing, regarding feeding, infections, diabetes and other ailments that would normally not show themselves until it is in well advanced stage. If you are skillful with Excell spreadsheet on your computer, let me know and I'll attach my spreadsheet I made for Trooper so you can log your readings.

Once you establish your pet's standardized urine values from week to week, any drastic change that stays for more than a few days, would be indication for you to take action. Remember that prey animals can hide pain very well and, as far as I know, don't know how to talk to us yet, although sometimes when I see those big black eyes looking at me, I sometimes wonder if they are trying to tell us how much they love us!

Good luck,

Tropper's dad
    __________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ _________________________________
    " When you save someone's life, you're responsible for theirs for the rest of yours" - Confucius
    Trooper's Troop: Plain, Rufina, Scratchy, Runty, Blackie, Beanie, Biff, PreetyBoy, Limpy, Jaws, Scarface, Badtail and Housemama
    Trooper's Story at: http://www.mixbook.com/photo-books/interests/trooper-friends-9554554?vk=759PD8gn7A

6. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Trooper:

astra (09-20-2018), Diggie's Friend (09-20-2018)

Trooper's Dad----
    your instructions were so detailed and easy to understand.
    We have been using test strips for a few years and (honestly) we have not been properly CAREFUL with samples and testing. Our previous results probably were skewed.

Today is a New day.
    Thanks again.

THIS should be a STICKY for members who desire to do accurate testing.

P.S.
    Thanks ASTRA--for asking the original question...............

8. Serious fuzzy thank you's to stosh2010 from:

astra (09-20-2018)

Quote Originally Posted by Trooper View Post
    Astra; you are welcome. I think doing urine sampling on a consistent basis, like every Saturday in the morning with first urine sample, for example, will give you a good "big picture' of how your pet is doing, regarding feeding, infections, diabetes and other ailments that would normally not show themselves until it is in well advanced stage. If you are skillful with Excell spreadsheet on your computer, let me know and I'll attach my spreadsheet I made for Trooper so you can log your readings.

Once you establish your pet's standardized urine values from week to week, any drastic change that stays for more than a few days, would be indication for you to take action. Remember that prey animals can hide pain very well and, as far as I know, don't know how to talk to us yet, although sometimes when I see those big black eyes looking at me, I sometimes wonder if they are trying to tell us how much they love us!

Good luck,

Tropper's dad
    Thank you much again, Trooper's Dad. I think I am fairly good with excel, so if you could somehow share your spreadsheet that would be great.

And yes, I totally understand what you mean by those "big black eyes" looking at you, quite penetratingly... speaking clearly without words

I agree with Stosh - your instructions should be a sticky.