Thread: Shivering baby squirrel

Question Shivering baby squirrel

My squirrel is about 6 weeks old and I’ve had him for 2. He just recently started to shiver whenever I take him out of his cage (with a heating pad) to feed him. He is also sneezing a tiny bit but not much. Could this just be because he’s cold? Or should I be concerned about him being sick?

Default Re: Shivering baby squirrel

Better satrt him on antibiotics until you know it is not pneumonia. Please tell us what you are feeding him.
    We live in a heaven created by our virtues --- Muktananda

3. Serious fuzzy thank you's to JLM27 from:

Rock Monkey (04-14-2021)

Quote Originally Posted by JLM27 View Post
    Better satrt him on antibiotics until you know it is not pneumonia. Please tell us what you are feeding him.
    I will start him on antibiotics, and I’m feeding him Fox Valley 20/50. I’m giving him 6cc’s which is 5% of his body weight.

Please change this to Emergency. Babies can go down fast. I am not a rehabber and you need a trained person to help you and the baby.
    We live in a heaven created by our virtues --- Muktananda

6. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to JLM27:

Finley (09-19-2018), Mel1959 (09-18-2018)

Before you administer any antibiotics you need to share which ones you have and the weight of your baby so someone can help you dose.

I have noticed my little ones shiver sometimes, I believe it’s because they are frightened. Mine do not have any nasal discharge or sneezing, though.

Please post in emergency if you need immediate help.

8. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Mel1959:

Finley (09-19-2018), Spanky (09-18-2018)

Quote Originally Posted by Finley View Post
    He just recently started to shiver whenever I take him out of his cage (with a heating pad) to feed him.
    Is the heating pad in the cage? Under the cage.. the entire bottom of the cage?

Note that this squirrel is 6 weeks old.. and they will often shiver (nervous and excitement) when taken from their cage.
    His eyes are just starting to focus.. and he is seeing a lot of weird stuff.
    I think we need more info about his weight, is he is lethargic, how much is he eating, how warm is he to the touch.. and is the sniffling after eating?
    As at this age they often get milk in the nose.
    If he shivers when taken out but stops once he is put back in.. he is probably just nervous.
    We need more symptoms (appetite, lethargic, cold to touch, too hot to touch, guppy breathing, etc before dosing the squirrel)
    Unnecessary drugs could lead to diarrhea, dehydration, bloating, etc.
    Lets not turn a nervous squirrel into a sick squirrel.

11. 6 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Javarat:

cava (09-18-2018), Finley (09-19-2018), Mel1959 (09-18-2018), Rocky1 (04-17-2021), SammysMom (09-19-2018), Sottinger (09-19-2018)

Smile Re: Shivering baby squirrel

Hey everyone! Thank you for your concerns. I gave him some more time before getting into any antibiotics,and he seems to be doing fine when he’s in his cage. If he sees someone new in my family he starts shaking and I believe it’s from what you guys are saying. He’s just nervous. It worried me like crazy at first since he’s never done it before. His sneezing has stopped which makes me so so happy because it had been lasting for a couple days on and off. I have his heating pad on half the cage so he has the option of getting on and off. I’m gonna see how he’s doing in the morning, but since his last meal he has a ton of energy and is wanting to climb all over the place. I think I just freaked out being new to the shivers. I’ll let you all know how he’s doing tomorrow. Thank you for your help! He means the world to me, and I never want him in any pain.

13. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Finley from:

Rocky1 (04-17-2021)

Thumbs up Re: Shivering baby squirrel

Good news! My baby hasn’t shivered at all today and his sneezing has calmed down. I do have the correct antibiotics and dosage ready in case something happens, but will not be giving him any as of right now, but if things change I’ll let you all know. Thanks for all the help!

15. 4 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Finley:

cava (09-19-2018), Mel1959 (09-19-2018), Rock Monkey (04-14-2021), Rocky1 (04-17-2021)

Quote Originally Posted by Javarat View Post
    Note that this squirrel is 6 weeks old.. and they will often shiver (nervous and excitement) when taken from their cage.
    His eyes are just starting to focus.. and he is seeing a lot of weird stuff.
    I think we need more info about his weight, is he is lethargic, how much is he eating, how warm is he to the touch.. and is the sniffling after eating?
    As at this age they often get milk in the nose.
    If he shivers when taken out but stops once he is put back in.. he is probably just nervous.
    We need more symptoms (appetite, lethargic, cold to touch, too hot to touch, guppy breathing, etc before dosing the squirrel)
    Unnecessary drugs could lead to diarrhea, dehydration, bloating, etc.
    Lets not turn a nervous squirrel into a sick squirrel.
    We have a gray squirrel rescue that we were sadly unable to release and has become our "forever squirrel", Harry. Harris will be two in August of 21. He came to us with him umbilical cord still attached. Anyway, after my exercise and walking the dogs in the morning I get Harry from his enclosure for some quality "us time". I'll pet him and he'll curl up in my hands and thoroughly enjoy it. I can tell when he's really happy/content because his whole body will shiver like a cat does when they purr. I know that isn't quite what we have here, but thought I would pass it along.