Thread: Almond milk

Default Almond milk

Has anyone used almond milk to mix with block or baby food to make a slurry for an adult squirrel? The unsweetened version. Is there any reason it couldn’t be used, occasionally, for variety since it’s not for primary nutrition?

Default Re: Almond milk

Quote Originally Posted by Mel1959 View Post
    Has anyone used almond milk to mix with block or baby food to make a slurry for an adult squirrel? The unsweetened version. Is there any reason it couldn’t be used, occasionally, for variety since it’s not for primary nutrition?
    Iv'e soaked raw shelled almonds in the almond milk overnight in the fridge occasionally and given them to my squirrels for a calcium boost.Never had any problems. think I might do it again tonight. Thanks for reminding me about that idea.

3. Serious fuzzy thank you's to HappyLittleSquirrely from:

Mel1959 (09-19-2018)

Quote Originally Posted by Mel1959 View Post
    Baby food and almond milk, hmmmmm.. I like this idea! I’m really struggling with Nibbles eating veggies (except the raw onions I must hide) so this could be an idea. Thanks =)

5. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Sottinger from:

Mel1959 (09-19-2018)

Quote Originally Posted by Sottinger View Post
    Baby food and almond milk, hmmmmm.. I like this idea! I’m really struggling with Nibbles eating veggies (except the raw onions I must hide) so this could be an idea. Thanks =)
    Don't forget, blocks are a staple. Check out this link to boo ball recipes. https://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/...ight=boo+balls

7. Serious fuzzy thank you's to cava from:

Mel1959 (09-19-2018)

Quote Originally Posted by cava View Post
    Don't forget, blocks are a staple. Check out this link to boo ball recipes. https://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/...ight=boo+balls
    Yes I’m aware on blocks. Question, how can I pin a message or bookmark something? Is that even possible? I want to save the link you gave me for future reference and try to make some when not so busy at work.

Yes I’m aware on blocks. Question, how can I pin a message or bookmark something? Is that even possible? I want to save the link you gave me for future reference and try to make some when not so busy at work.
    There are multiple boo ball recipes in the Squirrel Nutrition section.

10. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Mel1959 from:

cava (09-19-2018)

Honestly, I just bookmark the page on my browser.

12. Serious fuzzy thank you's to cava from:

Sottinger (09-19-2018)

Though Almond milk (beverages) are generally good sources of calcium, this isn't the only nutrient to consider when choosing a source to include in a boo balls recipe, for the amounts of protein and potassium that a source contains are also important to consider.

Almond milk beverages are notably low in protein, more so than Kefirs, or yogurts, and often excessively high in potassium per serving, that has been known to cause loose stool in some that consume it frequently.

http://drelaine.com/commercial-almon...fake-beverage/

Problems with Commercial Almond Milk
    With sales exceeding $854 million in 2014, almond milk is becoming a standard milk replacement. One of the problems with commercial almond milk is that it contains only 2 percent almonds. In fact, some of the labels on the commercial varieties list more sweeteners than almonds in the mixture. The labeling laws currently allow companies to use additives instead of the nutritious almonds that consumers expect. For a half-gallon of almond milk, about 144 to 192 almonds are needed; however, only 38 to 50 almonds are used per half-gallon by both Blue Diamond and Silk almond milk. Instead of almonds, the product is thickened with carrageenan, which is void of nutrients. Recently, “WhiteWave” and Blue Diamond stated they would be removing carrageenan from their products.
    Here is a partial nutritional comparison of Silk almond beverage, Redwood Hills Farms whole milk Goat Kefir, and Green Valley Low fat organic plain Kefir:

https://redwoodhill.com/products/plain-kefir/

Based upon 1200 mg. RDA for calcium for humans, 1 cup of Redwood Hills Farms provides 30 % of the RDA for humans; 360 mg.;
    reduced to 1/2 Tsp. of portion (example) provides 3.7 mg. of calcium.

I cup of “Redwood Hills Farms” whole milk goat kefir, provides 8 g. / 8000 mg. of protein;
    reduced to 1/2 Tsp. it provides 83.3 mg. of protein.

https://www.myfitnesspal.com/food/ca...70421?v2=false

New formula: with no carrageenan.

Based upon 1200 mg. RDA for calcium for humans, 1 cup of Silk Almond beverage provides 45 % of the RDA for calcium, 540 mg.;
    reduced to 1/2 Tsp. portion (example) provides 5.6 mg. of calcium.

1 cup of SILK almond beverage provides 1 g. /1000 mg. protein; reduced to 1/2 Tsp. provides 10.4 mg. of protein

https://www.goodeggs.com/sfbay/green...22220300f74a5c

Based upon 1200 mg. RDA for calcium for humans, 1 cup provides 40 % of the RDA for Calcium for humans, 480 mg. ;
    reduced to 1/2 Tsp. of Green Valley Low Fat Plain Organic Kefir provides 5 mg. of calcium.

I cup of Green Valley Low Fat Plain Organic Kefir provides 11 g. / 11,000 mg. protein;
    reduced to 1/2 Tsp. (example) provides 114.5 mg. of protein.

Based upon a comparably close amount of calcium, and a higher amount of protein, GV Kefir would be the most overall nutritious source to use, also having probiotics to support both digestion and immune health to use in a recipe. If more fat is needed then the Goat Milk Kefir, with an additional amt. of Calcium citrate added. Calcium citrate is a naturally present form of calcium in cow, and goat milk, not added after it is collected from cows.