Thread: Weaning question

Default Weaning question

Ashlie is about 6-7 weeks fox squirrel, weighing in at 193g. (Gaining about 10g a day) She has been a healthy eater, fox valley mixed with 1/4 esbilac, every 4-5 hours. Lately she has been only eating about 10cc's until shes "done" and goes running off to play and explore. I put Henry's blocks, the one with extra protein, and she nibbles at it but doesmt eat the whole thing (I break them up) I gave her a little piece of kale yesterday and she tasted/explored it but didnt finish it. Her appetite seems to be there as she is still all about the formula when its feeding time, but just not eating as much.

I guess my question is, when she starts eating more solids/blocks/veggies, and still taking formula, how much and how often do you feed?

Picture of lil Ashlie eating her first piece of Kale.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Default Re: Weaning question

5% of her weight is 9.65 ml so she's eating the correct amount when she decides she's done. It sounds like she's perfectly on track.

3. Serious fuzzy thank you's to cava from:

TamiKakes (09-18-2018)

Quote Originally Posted by cava View Post
    5% of her weight is 9.65 ml so she's eating the correct amount when she decides she's done. It sounds like she's perfectly on track.
    Thank you. I was under the impression I still needed to be feeding 7%.
    So as long as shes getting at least 5% I'm okay?

The table on how often to feed from HenrysPets.com shows age in weeks up to 6 weeks, every 5 hours (i do know that the amount is based on weight not the age)

So how often at 7 weeks if she is also eating solids?

When starting to introduce new veggies (one at a time) in addition to the blocks, how do I monitor how much she is eating and how much should I give, and how often?

She needs to eat 5% - 7%, 4 - 5 times a day at this age. Do you know when she opened her eyes?

She is precious.

6. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Spanky from:

TamiKakes (09-18-2018)

Quote Originally Posted by Spanky View Post
    She needs to eat 5% - 7%, 4 - 5 times a day at this age. Do you know when she opened her eyes?

She is precious.
    She opened her eyes on Sunday 9/9. so 9 days ago. So I am assuming she still in her 6th going into 7th ish week .

They usually open their eyes at 5 weeks so she may be younger than you think, unless you've had her in your care for 6-7 weeks.

Remember, fox squirrels are much larger than grays so she will weigh more week by week than a gray.

So wouldnt she be in her 6th week?

I didn't see the date. Yes, that would make her 6 weeks.

11. Serious fuzzy thank you's to cava from:

TamiKakes (09-19-2018)

So next week we will say she is 7 weeks. After that, at 8 weeks, how often does she need the formula?

According to the this table, it only gives up to 6 week feeding schedule. At 7 weeks should she be more Blocks and veggies and a few feedings of formula throughout the day?

I am giving her 1/2 henry block a day (shes still not really EATING it, more nibbling at it) and starting to introduce some veggies (kale, broccoli) also just nibbling. I did give her 2 little "nubs" off a raspberry ( i know, i know, get her to eat veggies first.... but I had some in my fridge and wanted to see if she would eat or just nibble at it...obviously she loved it)
    Attached Images Attached Images  

I’m feeding my 9 week olds 3 times a day. I just introduced kale, but they have had block in their cage for several weeks. They aren’t eating enough block or veggies to drop a feeding yet. We suggest you continue to offer formula as long as they will take it. When they stop taking it from the syringe I put it in a bowl. The squirrels I’ve had in the past also really like full fat vanilla yogurt in a bowl....but be prepared...it’s really messy.

14. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Mel1959:

cava (09-19-2018), TamiKakes (09-19-2018)