Thread: Sprouts?

Default Sprouts?

I would like to make Rose (my grey) a tray of organic sprouts. I make fodder for my chickens, so I'm familiar with how to keep them from molding. Thoughts or ideas on what I can sprout for her?

Default Re: Sprouts?

This is good that you brought this up!

Sprouts are moreover equal to the tender green sprouts from specific trees and bushes in their wild habitats are a key part of the natural diet in the Spring.

At this stage of development they are a good source of calcium, nil in oxalates, and highest in nutrient value, this vs. the mature leaves that tend moreover to be high in calcium oxalate that is not a bioavailable form of calcium that the body can use.

There are sprouts that aren't good for squirrels, like most bean sprouts, and alfalfa, that are sources you shouldn't feed them in any case;

yet your pretty much safe in feeding sprouts of vegetable vegetation sources you normally feed, like broccoli, kale, Bok Choy, if you can get organic, non GMO seeds.

We tested some sprouts years ago in the diet and found they were well accepted by the squirrel that liked to eat them right out of the container they grew in, if allowed.

Best to remove them and rinse them though before feeding.

There are systems that are simple inexpensive small hydroponic systems, basically a plastic jar and a grid, so you can sprout your own.

Some you end up feeding some you end up eating for they soon fail do to lack of soil and nutrients.

Still it can be worth doing, and less cost long term than buying them in the market.

3. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Diggie's Friend from:

ScrappyDo (09-17-2018)

Quote Originally Posted by Diggie's Friend View Post
    This is good that you brought this up!

Sprouts are moreover equal to the tender green sprouts from specific trees and bushes in their wild habitats are a key part of the natural diet in the Spring.

At this stage of development they are a good source of calcium, nil in oxalates, and highest in nutrient value, this vs. the mature leaves that tend moreover to be high in calcium oxalate that is not a bioavailable form of calcium that the body can use.

There are sprouts that aren't good for squirrels, like most bean sprouts, and alfalfa, that are sources you shouldn't feed them in any case;

yet your pretty much safe in feeding sprouts of vegetable vegetation sources you normally feed, like broccoli, kale, Bok Choy, if you can get organic, non GMO seeds.

We tested some sprouts years ago in the diet and found they were well accepted by the squirrel that liked to eat them right out of the container they grew in, if allowed.

Best to remove them and rinse them though before feeding.

There are systems that are simple inexpensive small hydroponic systems, basically a plastic jar and a grid, so you can sprout your own.

Some you end up feeding some you end up eating for they soon fail do to lack of soil and nutrients.

Still it can be worth doing, and less cost long term than buying them in the market.
    Great! I'm ordering some now! Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Diggie's Friend View Post

Are you talking about a chia pet?

Name:  DUKmbknUQAA6eCI.jpg
Views: 69
Size:  143.9 KB

Hydroponic type sprouter and organic broccoli seeds kit.

https://sproutpeople.org/broccoli-sprout-kit/

Do not use a chia pet for this; it will pull up compounds not made to support a food source, nor a good yield.

I've ordered sprouting seeds! So far broccoli, red cabbage, arugula, cress, radish, and kale. What about sprouting black chia seeds and black sesame seeds? (I don't feed her the seeds normally...sometimes she gets a few). What else would be good?

Sounds good as far as what you have gotten so far; I wouldn't sprout them all at once, but select a few to try.

Chia and sesame seeds are both very high in oxalate content from their hulls, yet the seed hulls of sesame and chia are too small to be hulled.

The chia oil has the highest Omega 3 to Omega 6 ratio of any plant source available.

I see it as an essential nutrient source like adding a vitamin source to the diet; it balances the high amount of omega 6 in other seed sources.

9. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Diggie's Friend from:

ScrappyDo (09-23-2018)

https://www.economicvoice.com/super-...ning/50025138/

When you posted on raw broccoli sprouts, which back some years were tried in the diet and liked, I recall there was some issue as to why we pulled them from the diet. Today I found it again; it is the same old issue of the negative effect a high concentration of goitrogens have upon rats. Raw broccoli sprouts are very high in goitrogens, which not only have been found to be anti cancerous, but also once broken down in the body can promote cancers also. This like soy that does the same in rats, goitrogens are a double edged sword when it comes to their impact on the health of rodents.

For this reason, feeding this source no more than once a week as a vegetables option is advised.

11. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Diggie's Friend from:

island rehabber (10-09-2018)