Thread: Onions and garlic?

Default Onions and garlic?

I’ve been google searching and I read on a gardening site that squirrels will avoid raw onions and garlic. Well, I beg to differ!

Knowing that dogs aren’t supposed to eat them, I naturally snatched the veggie basket off the counter and put it in a closed area. He only got a bite so I think he’s fine; I’d have never expected him to munch on these. But since he seems to want the onion as bad as he does a walnut, is it safe to give? He’s also interested in the raw garlic but the onion was like candy to a baby!! On a side note, he won’t eat a peanut. I think I have the weirdest eater imaginable! 😂

Default Re: Onions and garlic?

In the wild tree squirrels dig up bulbs, onion like forms with layers, 'corms', some of which are edible, yet others are toxic.

As to whether all the humanly edible allium family sources are toxic or non toxic to rats and tree squirrels, I haven't as yet found this confirmed or denied, though not saying it hasn't been.

I have seen squirrels take a nibble on toxic mushrooms (before I had a chance to remove them from my yard); yet no doubt they did for they left teeth marks in the tops (generally one or two small tasting bites). Generally speaking, it is mushrooms that are extreme in pH that are toxic, but then again other compounds found in some mushrooms are toxic due to other than their pH value. And though they recognize a high alkaloid by taste, and a highly acidic (very high in oxalic acid), they are known to eat toxic mushroom at times, and as a result some die, where others do not; this 'perhaps' from only tasting it?

As the following article explains, most often this is do to the dose consumed. For this reason I wouldn't support giving a squirrel a toxic or semi toxic mushroom to eat, and the same with corms, even if edible to humans. Not all allium plants are corms (bulbs with onion like with layers).

The ancient Greek Paracelsus is accredited with this saying:

"All things are poison; the dose makes the poison.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_dose_makes_the_poison

Quote Originally Posted by Diggie's Friend View Post
    In the wild tree squirrels dig up bulbs, onion like forms with layers, 'corms', some of which are edible, yet others are toxic.

As to whether all the humanly edible allium family sources are toxic or non toxic to rats and tree squirrels, I haven't as yet found this confirmed or denied, though not saying it hasn't been.

I have seen squirrels take a nibble on toxic mushrooms (before I had a chance to remove them from my yard); yet no doubt they did for they left teeth marks in the tops (generally one or two small tasting bites). Generally speaking, it is mushrooms that are extreme in pH that are toxic, but then again other compounds found in some mushrooms are toxic due to other than their pH value. And though they recognize a high alkaloid by taste, and a highly acidic (very high in oxalic acid), they are known to eat toxic mushroom at times, and as a result some die, where others do not; this 'perhaps' from only tasting it?

As the following article explains, most often this is do to the dose consumed. For this reason I wouldn't support giving a squirrel a toxic or semi toxic mushroom to eat, and the same with corms, even if edible to humans. Not all allium plants are corms (bulbs with onion like with layers).

The ancient Greek Paracelsus is accredited with this saying:

"All things are poison; the dose makes the poison.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_dose_makes_the_poison

Very interesting! I've been trying to reply to your IM (it's full again, you poor thing lol) and I mentioned my girl who just got over a uti, has never bothered the garlic until she got sick and she ran off with a whole bulb and fought me for it! She got a mouthful before I could get it. lol She's always after the onions but has yet to bite one but she will peel it. Edit to add: I don't offer her either one. She takes it. ��

I found an article some years back on wild animals self medicating; no doubt squirrels do this also.

I saw Diggie eating ground moss when she wasn't feeling well, yet not prior to the time I assume she was ailing not having young,

likely menopause or related malady where she found this as a source of minerals to supplement her diet.

It maybe as a tonic that onions and/or garlic may be desired; then again, I don't want to read that into it.

Doing a topic search to see if any study findings as far as wild animals eating onions and/or garlic specifically as a tonic is the way to go.

Quote Originally Posted by Diggie's Friend View Post
    I found an article some years back on wild animals self medicating; no doubt squirrels do this also.

I saw Diggie eating ground moss when she wasn't feeling well, yet not prior to the time I assume she was ailing not having young,

likely menopause or related malady where she found this as a source of minerals to supplement her diet.

It maybe as a tonic that onions and/or garlic may be desired; then again, I don't want to read that into it.

Doing a topic search to see if any study findings as far as wild animals eating onions and/or garlic specifically as a tonic is the way to go.
    Considering his draw to the onion I’m not in the least upset by your thoughts. If he’s lacking something nutrition wise I’d much rather know early on! I rather think he’s a strange eater with his history but of course I’d prefer to follow just in case! ❤️ If this is an early indication of a missing macronutrient I’m beyond grateful. It’s definitely possible.

Nibbles has been an odd eater from the start. I didn’t see advisory before offering ffruits and nuts. Needless to say he’s mildly spoiled. He will eat some frozen vegggies but not many. Mostly he will wait for his rat block and fruits and nuts. The last two days he’s refusing rat blocks so I’m thinking of switching back again.w

7. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Sottinger from:

Diggie's Friend (09-21-2018)

In the wild tree squirrels consume tender shoots (spring mostly), not the mature leaves or needles. Feeding the immature leaves of various species of lettuce varieties, arugula, escarole, chicory, radicchio, Bok Choy, mizuna, turnip greens, and some kales work well if you first blanch the leaves (1 to 1 1/2 min.) which lowers their pH and removes any parasites and kills bad bacteria common to lettuces grown in soil. Also try boiled stalked (broccoli, cauliflower, broccoflower), root vegetables (carrots parsnips), forbs (peas, edible pea pods), cabbages (headed and non headed varieties like Napa). Also blanch fresh mushrooms for most all contain parasitic worms and their eggs, save they have been dried for some months.

Avoid any nuts save organic, for all are required by law to be fumigated with toxins to kill nut larva. No dried fruits as these tend to be a problem with squirrels as they can more easily choke on them as they expand with moisture.

Feeding measured amounts promotes helps to tract what has been fed long-term, and keeps the diet balanced and on tract for nutrient support when variety of the 'specific forms' of food that they naturally consume in the wild are fed daily. Basically this is taking the seasonal foods and spreading them out in smaller amounts each day over the year. As for wild foods, of course they aren't available all year, green acorns are a favorite of squirrels, not just the mature nuts, yet don't pick them up off the ground as it is far more likely they will be bad (contain toxic fungus). Even acorns taken off the tree can be a problem storing them as they are prone to developing fungus after a few months of storage, an/or going stale.

A base source of nutrition is vital of course, most recommend: https://www.henryspets.com/squirrel-diet/ as it is formulated to be completed with whole foods in addition to this block, whereas other sources aren't. By formulated this refers to not just what they contain, but the ratios of calcium to phosphorus they contain. For adults it is needful to add calcium to the diet as whole foods are low in 'bioavailable' calcium moreover save for the above mentioned immature leafy greens, and boiled vegetables that can provide calcium whereas their mature, or non boiled counterparts do not.

This has to do with oxalic acid content that is generally higher than calcium in most leafy greens and vegetables, even in those sources that have a positive Ca:P ratio, which once freed during digestion the oxalic acid and calcium they contain readily bond into the insoluble form of calcium oxalate (CaOx) that the body cannot utilize. In rodents, and to a far lesser degree in humans, this is problematic; for though allot of the total is eliminated out the stool, much is also absorbed into the bloodstream. Then CaOx is filtered out by the kidneys, which can result in formation of urinary calculi (calcium stones), which begin with just one small crystal that promotes further growth by other crystals that readily bond to the seed crystal. Though this is a complicated process, it has been well confirmed and documented in over 80 years of soil, cultivars, lab rat research; most recently it also has been confirmed in tree squirrels.

9. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Diggie's Friend from:

Sottinger (09-21-2018)

Thank you for that very detailed message. =)

The Henry’s blocks came in yesterday and he is back to his block now. I’d bought a cheaper one in bulk and he ate it for a while then basically quit out of the blue. We are not good eaters ourselves so some of these veggies I’ll have to buy specially for him.

Make it easy for yourself storing frozen foods to use as you need them; this way there is no waste.

Boiled broccoli, cauliflower, turnips, parsnips, carrots, cauliflower, green beans, peas, edible peapods, butternut squash are all good choices.

For Kale, and other leafy greens boil just to where the leaves softens, but not to where it begins to break down into green glop.

With frozen you just take the amount to feed out and boiled it drain cool and feed. Fruits are fine if frozen then thawed in the fridge.

I found from the nutritional data that veggies are first frozen then boiled actually provide more calcium than fresh to boiled does.

Introduce one new veggie at a time, and one new fruit at a time. Do not overfeed.

Earthbound carries a number of organic frozen vegetables and fruits. Cascadian Farms is another organic produced source.

Scroll down to see more sources, lots to choose from, no wasting food this way.

http://www.earthboundfarm.com/produc...rozen-organic/