Thread: Baby needs help

Default Baby needs help

This sweet girl was delivered to me last evening. She was found crawling on pavement outside a rec center. Looks like she fell right on her face. She is stuffed up—snorting and sometimes her breathing is in gulps. I just borrowed a gram scale (mine was sent home) and she weighs 120 grams. She looks like she should weigh 150 grams. I’m thinking I should start her on an antibiotic. Most of my supplies are in a box heading home but I do have a cipro 250 mg tablet, and a Clavet 250 mg tablet. I’m letting her breathe steam from a hot shower several times a day. So far she will take some homemade pedialite so she isn’t as horribly dehydrated as she was. I know she hurts—you can tell by her eyes. I do have some Meloxicam mixed up from clipping Missy’s teeth and gave her a tiny bit last night—0.02. It was a guess but she looked like she was on her way out and in pain. If she was going to go, at least she wouldn’t hurt. Today she’s better but has a long way to go. Help. Please!
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Default Re: Baby needs help

Hey Pat, what kind of help do you need? Poor baby
    redwuff
    State Licensed
    Master Wildlife Rehabilitator

Quote Originally Posted by redwuff View Post
    Hey Pat, what kind of help do you need? Poor baby
    Any suggestions you have re clearing her poor nose and helping her breathe.

prayers for this precious girl!

I would use a warm, wrung out moist cloth to loosen crusts and gently remove them.

Thanks. Next steam bath I’ll do just that. On a good note I looked over to where door of death girl was and she was out of the bin. She’s pretty fast for a critter ready to check out.

My poor girl is still snorting. She must have fallen right on her nose. Now that it’s healing you can see the whole end is bunged. Her nostrils are half closed. Thanks for the doseing Redwuff. She missed her Cipro yesterday. The container leaked and I had to dig for another pill. She’s eating now, pooping and peeing but poor thing has a hard time breathing her nose is so hurt. The warm wash cloth helps some but there’s only so much I can do for her on the road. Any suggestions? By the time we get in everything is closed. I have Neosporin on the outside. Tomorrow she’ll have a vaporizer.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

8. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Chickenlegs from:

Grinderhead (09-19-2018)

I had an eyes closed hurricane baby last year that fell on his nose. I started with Baytril because he sneezed a lot and I was afraid he was getting pneumonia. I cleaned his nose at every feeding with a warm moist cloth because the nostrils we're clogged with debris. He developed an abcess on the end of the nose about day four and I started him on SMZ . I found that holding a warm cloth on his nose would open the abcess and allow the pus to drain.

I had him on SMZ for two courses and the abcess stopped draining and scabbed. Until he stopped being syringe fed he would always sneeze after eating. Once he was self fed only, the sneezing stopped. I always wondered if he had some internal nasal damage that was exacerbated by the pressure from sucking.

He made it to the trees with his group healthy and happy.

Hope your guy is doing better.