Thread: injured squirrel

nick12 Guest

Default injured squirrel

Hi guys today I found an injured squirrel I suspect my roommate shot with a daisy red rider, I learned later he was chewing the electrical cords on the side of my house and kept returning after being scared off. These guns usually do not penetrate skin but I am worried the squirrel is injured seriously internally. I came back for lunch from work and saw an adolecent squirrel laying on my deck. When I saw how young it was I felt like I had to do something. I put it in a box with blankets nuts and water then went back to work. Thankfully I just got home and hes still breathing. I called a 24 hour vet but they wont do it for free and I am broke as hell. He is currently laying on his belly in the box, he wont accept the nuts or water I am trying to give him. is there anything I can do, I love animals and will feel terrible if he passes on.

Default Re: injured squirrel

Call them back and ask if they will take him and treat him if you surrender him to them. If not, they should be able to direct you to a rehabber near you. I’m assuming you are not looking to raise him as he will then try chewing wires inside your home and really upset your roommate.

1. If there are internal injuries, he needs a rehabber with access to a vet. There should be a list of state certified rehabilitators online for your county. If you are near Austin there’s an excellent wildlife center there. If not they may be able to help find someone near you. 2. Not to be harsh—well—yeah—to be harsh. A bb gun is a gun. There is enough force to penetrate the skin and do serious damage, as you can see. I grew up in the country and the rule is if you don’t eat it don’t shoot it. Chewing electrical lines is a bad thing but there are other options besides shooting an animal. A supersoaker with some cayenne pepper in the water will discourage the animal without potentially killing it or possibly injuring an innocent bystander. There are lots of online suggestions to discourage a chewer. If you really want to do something for animals, lose the bb gun. You have a good heart or you wouldn’t have come here looking for help. A rehabilitator is that baby’s best bet. Look online for rehab networks in your area.

Check your private messages (top left of screen)
    Sent rehabber pair name and number
    Step-N-Stone
    State Licensed
    Wildlife Master Rehabilitator

5. Serious fuzzy thank you's to stepnstone from:

SammysMom (09-15-2018)

nick12 Guest

Smile Re: injured squirrel

Hi guys! great news, Woodhouse (the name I gave the squirrel) in my unprofessional opinion has made a full recovery! He has great movement and seems to be in perfect condition. I'm gonna hold him for two more days just to be sure but thank y'all for the advice and i'm super glad hes gonna be ok!

nick12 Guest

Thumbs down Re: injured squirrel

Do yall have any advice on what toys I could put in his box, i'd be awfully bored if I were him

nick12 Guest

Also i have been feeding him all of the nuts and seeds out of my trail mix bag, sadly all the nuts are gone. Can small squirrels eat almonds if i break them up???

nick12 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Chickenlegs View Post
    1. If there are internal injuries, he needs a rehabber with access to a vet. There should be a list of state certified rehabilitators online for your county. If you are near Austin there’s an excellent wildlife center there. If not they may be able to help find someone near you. 2. Not to be harsh—well—yeah—to be harsh. A bb gun is a gun. There is enough force to penetrate the skin and do serious damage, as you can see. I grew up in the country and the rule is if you don’t eat it don’t shoot it. Chewing electrical lines is a bad thing but there are other options besides shooting an animal. A supersoaker with some cayenne pepper in the water will discourage the animal without potentially killing it or possibly injuring an innocent bystander. There are lots of online suggestions to discourage a chewer. If you really want to do something for animals, lose the bb gun. You have a good heart or you wouldn’t have come here looking for help. A rehabilitator is that baby’s best bet. Look online for rehab networks in your area.
    Also just wanted to say, I live in one of (actually probably the most country place in the world) a bb gun/ daisy red rider is not a gun lol, I have been shot by one three times and im still kicking. Also I didnt shoot it so hop off, there was nothing I could do as I was an hour outta town at work. Naturally my roomate wouldnt call and ask permision to shoot the squirrel as he is a grown man

Quote Originally Posted by nick12 View Post
    Do yall have any advice on what toys I could put in his box, i'd be awfully bored if I were him
    To find toys for my little guy I went to amazon and searched for rat toys. But there’s a thread on here with amazing homemade ideas. I will try to locate it for you. Feeding just nuts is not at all recommended but if you have saved this little guys life I absolutely will not ridicule your efforts. Does he drink water from a dish to stay hydrated? There is a process to releasing one. Are you open to advice and being walked through the process or would you prefer to let someone else near you do this? If you just toss him outside at a said given date there’s a good chance he won’t survive. He also needs rodent blocks for adequate nutrition.

Anyway, THANK YOU for helping him and please let the pros here know what your future plans are so they can help you with which direction to go.

He needs veggies and rodent block in place of nuts. Contrary to popular belief, nuts are not good for them when they are in captivity and dependent upon us to provide them proper nutrition.

How old is your little guy? It’s best to release on the older side of 16-20 weeks. It gives them a better chance at survival and learning the dynamics of being a squirrel. If you need help for the release, maybe we have someone close by that can assist.

nick12 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Mel1959 View Post
    He needs veggies and rodent block in place of nuts. Contrary to popular belief, nuts are not good for them when they are in captivity and dependent upon us to provide them proper nutrition.

How old is your little guy? It’s best to release on the older side of 16-20 weeks. It gives them a better chance at survival and learning the dynamics of being a squirrel. If you need help for the release, maybe we have someone close by that can assist.
    I might have not been very clear in my original post, in the best way i can describe i'd say hes a teenager lol

nick12 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Sottinger View Post
    To find toys for my little guy I went to amazon and searched for rat toys. But there’s a thread on here with amazing homemade ideas. I will try to locate it for you. Feeding just nuts is not at all recommended but if you have saved this little guys life I absolutely will not ridicule your efforts. Does he drink water from a dish to stay hydrated? There is a process to releasing one. Are you open to advice and being walked through the process or would you prefer to let someone else near you do this? If you just toss him outside at a said given date there’s a good chance he won’t survive. He also needs rodent blocks for adequate nutrition.

Anyway, THANK YOU for helping him and please let the pros here know what your future plans are so they can help you with which direction to go.
    originally i gave him water through a small dropper, but as he is healthy now and he wont let me near him, I put a small dish of water in his crate. Will that be ok??

originally i gave him water through a small dropper, but as he is healthy now and he wont let me near him, I put a small dish of water in his crate. Will that be ok??
    Have you seen him drink from the dish? My little guy did at a pretty young age, probably younger than yours considering you’re not able to handle him. Any chance you can upload a picture so members can better guesstimate his age? Maybe he’s old enough to be on his own and only let you handle him because he was injured, not because he was abandoned by mama squirrel.

nick12 Guest

Good news! He made a full recovery and I released him this morning. Upon letting him out of the box my dog came barreling into the back yard which nearly gave me a heart attack. Luckily he is a good boy and I was able to call him off lol. Thank ya'll for all the help and advice you gave me, little guy will be just fine.

Good news! He made a full recovery and I released him this morning. Upon letting him out of the box my dog came barreling into the back yard which nearly gave me a heart attack. Luckily he is a good boy and I was able to call him off lol. Thank ya'll for all the help and advice you gave me, little guy will be just fine.
    That’s awesome news!!

Do you have cayenne pepper around the house? Mix some into water and wipe down those cords he was chewing on. It should keep him from chewing there again. I’ve had to do it in my shop. I first sprayed them with dog deterrent (bitter cherry) and to my disbelief he LIKED it! He even licked the nozzle. I had to cage him and come here and search for something that might deter him and that’s when I saw the cayenne pepper and water suggestion. It’s not perfect in our case but he doesn’t try as often.

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.