Thread: Where to buy the safest pre-release outdoor enclosure for young squirrel

Default Where to buy the safest pre-release outdoor enclosure for young squirrel

I must buy a cage that needs little to no modification as I have no one to make me one. Also, I want to put a squirrel box inside of this cage. Which companies have one? I have a cat enclosure, but that won't work. Hammy got out of it today and I almost had a heart attack. I'm going to put his new cage on our deck to slowly acclimate him. I'm not too concerned about cost. I just want the safest.
    Thank you!!!

Default Re: Where to buy the safest pre-release outdoor enclosure for young squirrel

I don't think you are going to find anything... Prefab enclosures strong enough to be left unattended just don't exist. The things you need - sturdiness AND 1/2" wire hardware cloth (1/2" x 1/2" wire mesh) just aren't out there.

Anything with openings larger than the 1/2" x 1/2" will leave them at the mercy of raccoons, who can slip their VERY dextrous hands just about anywhere and WILL use them to pull any animals inside the cage OUT - piece by piece. And yes, I do mean to scare you. This happens.

You need untreated 2x4's, rolls of wire mesh and something to cut it with, a staple gun, and a circular saw. Maybe some corrugated fiberglas panels for a roof. Perhaps look for a handyperson in your area...

3. Serious fuzzy thank you's to CritterMom from:

michellel (09-15-2018)

Default Re: Where to buy the safest pre-release outdoor enclosure for young squirrel

I'm happy to share the specs I drew up when I built mine if you find someone to build it for you. It's pretty easy if I made it by myself.

Name:  IMG_7014.jpg
Views: 96
Size:  111.2 KB

5. Serious fuzzy thank you's to cava from:

michellel (09-15-2018)

Cava, So, could you send me the specs? My husband has the ability to build anything, but he won't for fear I'll start collecting squirrels
    I'll start looking for someone to build it for me! I really do appreciate it, really.

Oh, and this would be good for pre-release?

Yes this is the cage I use when they go outside for a time before they are released, send me your email in a PM and I'll send the photos of the plans I drew..

Any wayni vould get the specs as well?

This thread is two years old and Cava, who posted the picture and had the specs, is rarely on the board anymore. I will share with you how we built our release cage, though.

Its a modular cage so can be disassembled and stored if necessary. Determine the overall finished size you want. It looks as though Cavas was about 8ft long by 4ft wide and 6ft tall. We built easily manageable wooden square frames out of untreated pine 2 x 2s. So, if you were going to use the above size then Id build multiple frames....7 frames that are 4x6 for the sides, ends, top and bottom. Staple the 1/2 hardware cloth to one side of each piece, covering as close to the edge of the wood as possible. The remaining frame needs to be the overall same size,but must have a door so the frame will need to be built in two pieces so the upper portion can be opened.

For assembly but the side with the hardware cloth on it towards the inside of the cage and screw the frames together with stainless screws. Do the same for the top and bottom. You can put it on wooden legs or casters if you like. The hardware cloth being on the inside prevents the squirrels from chewing the wood frames.

Ive attached a picture of my release cage. It is permanently outside and not on a deck so its much larger, about 8 x 6 x 6 with a 2 x 4 x 6 vestibule I can walk into and secure the door behind me to prevent escapes.
    Attached Images Attached Images   

Quote Originally Posted by Mel1959 View Post
    This thread is two years old and Cava, who posted the picture and had the specs, is rarely on the board anymore. I will share with you how we built our release cage, though.

Its a modular cage so can be disassembled and stored if necessary. Determine the overall finished size you want. It looks as though Cavas was about 8ft long by 4ft wide and 6ft tall. We built easily manageable wooden square frames out of untreated pine 2 x 2s. So, if you were going to use the above size then Id build multiple frames....7 frames that are 4x6 for the sides, ends, top and bottom. Staple the 1/2 hardware cloth to one side of each piece, covering as close to the edge of the wood as possible. The remaining frame needs to be the overall same size,but must have a door so the frame will need to be built in two pieces so the upper portion can be opened.

For assembly but the side with the hardware cloth on it towards the inside of the cage and screw the frames together with stainless screws. Do the same for the top and bottom. You can put it on wooden legs or casters if you like. The hardware cloth being on the inside prevents the squirrels from chewing the wood frames.

Ive attached a picture of my release cage. It is permanently outside and not on a deck so its much larger, about 8 x 6 x 6 with a 2 x 4 x 6 vestibule I can walk into and secure the door behind me to prevent escapes.
    Ughhh perfect i really appreciate the comprehensive instructions!!
    Im not faniliar with construction but will do my best to provide an excellent pre release.