Thread: Baby Help - Seattle Area

Happy Cee Guest

Default Baby Help - Seattle Area

Hi I’m new here, sorry to jump in on another line but I couldn’t figure out how to start my own. I have a ~5 week baby gray squirrel our dog brought in on Sun evening. He seemed unhurt, and not too skinny as best as I could tell, but mostly sleeping. Eyes just sort of open but kind of unseeing. About 70 grm on Monday when I weighed him. My state isn’t helpful/open to rehab by lay people, advised bringing him in to be euthanized since they were full. We decided those choices weren’t viable, we have the commitment to help him, albeit we don’t know how to find a friendly vet here (WA) should we need one.
    Found squirrel rehab websites and based on their input I’ve been using Pedialite and the first eve a goat milk,yogurt recipe since no stores were open that sold the Esilbac. Puppy Esilbac formula since as the sites direct for 3 days. He’s eating now about 6ml per feeding, or more, and he’s now around 160gm. He’s been growing and getting stronger and more alert, nurses enthusiastically. Pees when stimulated. BUT...not pooping! I tried giving him extra water, Ive applied a bit of veggie oil to his rectum, I’ve done several warm lower body baths and massaging his belly, he seems to like the massage, but still no poop. Actually today I found a half dozen tiny dark brown poops in his bedding, but no poop on command. Getting worried. Belly bigger but not red, genitals and anus look fine. (Well, this is my first squirrel) Full but not hard. He got his upper teeth two days ago and I did introduce the food pellets advised on the sites but he more knaws them than eats them, and just a little bit at that.
    But the pooping issue concerns me! Back to now your very helpful website for advice, now giving him diluted combo of apple juice, some formula and water. He’s ravenous today due to the lack of regular formula, otherwise seems great, but still no pooping that I can tell. I bought some baby glycerine liquid and I bought ducoloc capsules as well, but I don’t know how to administer either in the right dose. I have a wound cleaning syringe with a tinier tip than a regular feeding syringe by quite a bit. I was wondering if it would work to try to give him a drop or two of the glycerine rectally? Your wise input would be much appreciated! And I’m sure Jean Luc will feel much better when he’s doing both pee and poop normally.
    I’d send pics but I cant figure that out. I did get a pic of him as my photo. Thanks!

Default Re: Help baby gray squirrel

If he had a fully belly when you got him, and then you spent a lot of time hydrating him, it may take him this long to poop.
    If I was doing this one, I would at this point be giving him about .15ml Mylicon (Infant GasX at drug store) at each feeding, doing tummy massages in warm water, and extra water between feedings.
    You don't want to give any small animal medicines rectally. You would not be able to put the stuff in far enough have an effect, and could harm the animal.

Hi there. Don't put any meds into his rectum.

At this age they can poop on their own, although we still stimulate them. It's very possible he's pooping in his enclosure. Check and change bedding often to see what's new and what's old. If he is eating well, doesn't have a distended or hard belly, go ahead and give him his regular formula with plain water in between feedings for extra hydration. Apple juice can cause gas in some babies, discontinue it.

admin, can you please make her a new thread and send her a link? Thank you

Quote Originally Posted by cava View Post
    admin, can you please make her a new thread and send her a link? Thank you
    New thread created, poster notified with link to new thread.

5. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Spanky:

cava (09-14-2018), island rehabber (09-14-2018)

Happy Cee Guest

Default Re: Baby Help - Seattle Area

Thanks much for your input! I’ll stay the course with just his formula going forward. Good news update: he has been pooping last night and today, I found some in his bedding. I didn’t realize how tiny poops can be, and it’s not very much. Plus, today I discovered since I last fed him he had moved to the non-bed end of his cage and peed in the corner—hooray! I think we’re doing well now.
    One preventive question: any suggestions for finding a “friendly vet” in a non-friendly state? I prefer to be prepared ahead of time, not scrambling to find someone if I urgently need one.

Thanks again!

Where in Washington are you? Perhaps I can help you. I am a licensed rehabber.

8. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to SQUIRRELSAREME:

Nancy in New York (09-15-2018), stepnstone (09-14-2018)

Quote Originally Posted by SQUIRRELSAREME View Post
    Where in Washington are you? Perhaps I can help you. I am a licensed rehabber.
    Thanks so much!

Happy Cee, the Pacific NW is one area of the country that we have WONDERFUL rehabber help. Do reach out.

Any word???

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.