Thread: Found this little guy in my work parking lot yesterday

anj109 Guest

Default Found this little guy in my work parking lot yesterday

He wasn't afraid of anyone walking by him and seemed like he was scared and I didn't want him to get ran over or possibly eaten by a predator so I didn't want to risk it and took him home in a box. He definitely has some little teeth because he bit a few times at first but now he is very friendly and seems to like being held. We fed him some very small cut up strawberry's, carrots, and romaine lettuce twice before we went to bed and then gave him a nice cozy blanket with a warm compress and bundled him up in a little pocket where he seemed to be this morning. He seems to be doing great this morning and we gave him a little peanut butter. I've been reading about food for them and we are going to buy some of the recommended Zupreme Primate diet for him (we think it's a him cause it looks like he has a little pee pee). In the meantime while that is being shipped, what else can we buy that will be good enough for him to eat? Is there a type of rabbit food or something that will hold him over?

Also, from the pictures, can you guys give him a rough estimate on his age? Any other helpful tips would be great. Should we be giving him goats milk still?

Name:  Snapchat-1739706513.jpg
Views: 103
Size:  49.1 KB

Name:  0913181400b.jpg
Views: 90
Size:  74.9 KB

Thanks!!

Default Re: Found this little guy in my work parking lot yesterday

Please do not feed any peanut butter or any nuts or seeds at this age. The Zupreem (well, rodent block) should be the first solids he is given. He should still be getting formula 3 times a day... Goat's Milk is a temporary fix, here is the formula we recommend... Esbilac Puppy Formula, the powdered version (liquid is not the same):

Attached Images Attached Images  

Here is the healthy Squirrel Diet:
    https://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/...-Pet-Squirrels

anj109 Guest

Thanks for the help! Can you tell that he's still young enough to only get this formula? How will we know when he's ready for hard food? And have we done any harm by feeding him solids so far? How do you recommend we give him the formula? In a bowl or with a syringe feeder?

Thanks again!

Quote Originally Posted by anj109 View Post
    Thanks for the help! Can you tell that he's still young enough to only get this formula? How will we know when he's ready for hard food? And have we done any harm by feeding him solids so far? How do you recommend we give him the formula? In a bowl or with a syringe feeder?

Thanks again!
    Syringe (with a nipple if you can get one)... the formula is the absolutely best thing they can eat so we like to feed it for as long as they will take it. At that age he should still be taking formula for weeks.

You've not done harm, but it may make it more a challenge to get him to eat a healthy diet. Sort of like feeding a human child junk food and then deciding that might not be a good idea and trying to change them over to a healthy diet of carrots and broccoli!

Edit: This guy can have veggies but we establish good eating habits by introducing rodent block first so they will get used to eating that before they get their veggies.

anj109 Guest

So I just bought this stuff because my pet store didn't have the stuff you recommended. I wanted to ask you before opening it and feeding to him if it was good enough of a replacement for the other stuff? Thanks!

Name:  0914181213.jpg
Views: 85
Size:  54.0 KB

Name:  0914181213a.jpg
Views: 70
Size:  73.2 KB

Name:  0914181213b.jpg
Views: 81
Size:  71.2 KB

No, not unless you want failure to grow and diarrhea. :-(

You can order Esbilac online and until then buy ingredients for a goat's milk recipe and feed that until the esbilac arrives.

Goats milk formula :

3 Parts goats
    milk (fresh, canned or powder but make the powder or canned first, into milk)
    1 Part heavy whipping creme
    1 Part full fat yogurt, yo baby vanilla is liked

My guess is about 6-7 weeks but here is a link you can use to get a much better idea. It was how I determined my little guy was about five weeks when found. He wasn’t able to stand on his hind legs unsupported like yours for a week or two, hence my guess.

http://howlongdosquirrelslive.com/ho...baby-squirrel/

anj109 Guest

Can you explain why since this is made from goat's milk and has probiotics? Also, you mention using yogurt but I thought they weren't supposed to have cow's milk??

The goat's milk recipe I gave you doesn't meet all of their nutritional needs, it's a place holder until you can get the proper formula. Cows milk does NOT meet nutritional needs at all and causes diarrhea. The yogurt has probiotics and is gentle on the belly. The heavy whipping cream adds fat. Some babies don't tolerate this recipe (gassy) but it's proven safe to use until you can get what you need. What you have is ??? and you may find yourself combating problems like diarrhea long after you stop using it.

The product you show is made for cats and dogs. Cats are obligate carnivores, so many things labeled for them are too high in protein (which is hard on kidneys) and low in carbs (which leads to baby wasting/losing weight).

Also, the recommendations aren't made based on my opinion. They were taught to me and forged out of many rehabbers working through trial and error, new members bringing sick babies and showing the products they were told to use, etc. I'm only trying to steer you in the right direction to support the best outcome for your little one.

11. 3 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to cava:

cleolovelee (09-14-2018), Mel1959 (09-14-2018), Nancy in New York (09-14-2018)

anj109 Guest

Ok, thank you so much. I'll return this to my local pet store and go to PetSmart (who shows online as having it in store).

Thanks again!

13. 4 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to anj109:

cava (09-14-2018), Grinderhead (09-14-2018), Mel1959 (09-14-2018), Nancy in New York (09-14-2018)

Great!!!

If I might add my struggle..

Not knowing what my Papa had used for milk replacement I asked a girl who I knew who'd raised one. She told me to get kitten milk. So right away I bought and started him on it and he loved it. It gave him horrific diarhhea in the beginning!! That's when I started google searching and came across an article here and immediately ordered Fox Valley. Unfortunately, even by mixing 3:1 I couldn't get him to transition. When he refused the mix for a full 24hrs I had no choice but to give him the kitten milk back which he eagerly took. My point is, if they are known to go from the suggested recipe to the correct formula easily I would definitely go with that advice.

Good luck!
    Selena

16. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Sottinger from:

cava (09-14-2018)

Quote Originally Posted by Sottinger View Post
    If I might add my struggle..
    Not knowing what my Papa had used for milk replacement I asked a girl who I knew who'd raised one. She told me to get kitten milk. So right away I bought and started him on it and he loved it. It gave him horrific diarhhea in the beginning!! That's when I started google searching and came across an article here and immediately ordered Fox Valley. Unfortunately, even by mixing 3:1 I couldn't get him to transition. When he refused the mix for a full 24hrs I had no choice but to give him the kitten milk back which he eagerly took. My point is, if they are known to go from the suggested recipe to the correct formula easily I would definitely go with that advice.
    Good luck!
    Selena
    Kitten milk does not contain the nutrients a squirrel's body needs.
    Squirrels are mammals that fall under canine, not feline!
    Step-N-Stone
    State Licensed
    Wildlife Master Rehabilitator

Are you interested in buddying this little one up with another singleton? Another rehabber in PA needs a buddy baby.

19. Serious fuzzy thank you's to cava from:

Mel1959 (09-14-2018)

Quote Originally Posted by cava View Post
    Are you interested in buddying this little one up with another singleton? Another rehabber in PA needs a buddy baby.
    A buddy for your little one would be ideal. They love snuggling next to a sibling,.....even if the sibling isn’t a relative. You should seriously consider this offer. It would be amazing for your little guy...and the other orphan.

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.