Thread: Baby squirrel clicking

Exclamation Baby squirrel clicking

I have been taking care of her for 3 weeks now, she is about 6 weeks old. This morning while feeding, she got scared by thunder and aspirated. She sneezed for a few minutes and now is clicking with each breath. No rehabbers in my immediate area would take her when I found her but I don't have Cipro/Baytril.

I do have Doxycycline and Levofloxacin.

What can I do?

I am in New York state
    I have been feeding her FV 20/50 (for the past week or so) with a 3cc syringe and a miracle nipple

Thank you

Default Re: Baby squirrel clicking

as of 7am, she has sneezed a few more times and the constant clicking has stopped. Still, I am very worried.

Update 840am
    She is sleeping still, sneezing periodically

No clicking noise

Sneezing is not AP and aspiration does not mean she will get AP 100% of the time.

Watch for lethargy, loss of appetite and of course constant clicking. If she is not clicking while sleeping, that is very reassuring.

Doxycycline can work with AP, but make absolutely certain it is not expired. These "cycline" meds actually are dangerous, even lethal after their expiration.

To dose Doxycycline we need to know what strength it is and how much your squirrel weighs.

In the meantime call around to all family and friends and see if you can find Augmentin or Cipro. These are better options and a single pill will provide an entire course of treatment for a squirrel.

Doxy is expired.

I will ask friends for what they have.

I also have Cefdinir.

Riley (squirrel) is still sneezing. She ate just fine, but seems less active than she normally is but maybe I am just being paranoid.