Thread: Possibly in need of antibiotics for pneumonia?

Unhappy Possibly in need of antibiotics for pneumonia?

So just a few minutes ago while my roommate was feeding our 5-6 week old fox squirrel (we are raising her together), the feeding syringe slipped and she aspirated. I held her upside down and did the quick sucking/kissing on her nose and mouth to try to suck any formula out of her lungs and throat. I'm not sure if she is going to develop pneumonia or not but I am in a state that I can't get help for her. I have a personal vet that is a family friend that I could possibly go to for help but I havent talked to him yet and am just hoping I can have a back up plan if he can't help us. I've seen people offer to help with antibiotics on here before and was wondering if worse comes to worst someone could maybe send us some. I can get an updated weight on her and could pay for them. I am just so freaked out and would like to have things ready to go if she does develop pneumonia. TIA.

Default Re: Possibly in need of antibiotics for pneumonia?

The best drug for aspiration pneumonia is either Baytril if you ask your vet friend, or Cipro if you ask your human friends. Cipro is the go to drug now for urinary tract infections so ask your female friends - all you need is ONE pill. Then all you need is a 1cc syringe, and knowing the size of the pill in milligrams and the current weight of your squirrel and someone here can help you.

If you sucked his little nose clean he is probably okay. But I commend you for wanting to address the situation BEFORE it is a situation.

3. 4 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to CritterMom:

Mel1959 (09-14-2018), Nancy in New York (09-14-2018), stepnstone (09-14-2018), Wolfhailey (09-14-2018)

Quote Originally Posted by CritterMom View Post
    The best drug for aspiration pneumonia is either Baytril if you ask your vet friend, or Cipro if you ask your human friends. Cipro is the go to drug now for urinary tract infections so ask your female friends - all you need is ONE pill. Then all you need is a 1cc syringe, and knowing the size of the pill in milligrams and the current weight of your squirrel and someone here can help you.

If you sucked his little nose clean he is probably okay. But I commend you for wanting to address the situation BEFORE it is a situation.
    Thank you! I actually still have some antibiotics from a UTI, but they are nitrofurantoin. Do you know if those will work?

Quote Originally Posted by Wolfhailey View Post
    Thank you! I actually still have some antibiotics from a UTI, but they are nitrofurantoin. Do you know if those will work?
    No, nitrofurantoin is only used for urinary tract infections.
    I'm going to send a PM.

6. 3 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to HRT4SQRLS:

Mel1959 (09-14-2018), Nancy in New York (09-14-2018), stepnstone (09-14-2018)