Thread: Please help- Injured Leg- Northern Kentucky

Default Please help- Injured Leg- Northern Kentucky

If this does not belong in this thread, please move to appropriate section. Northern Ky- I know this is a long shot- but does anyone here know someone (Wildlife Rehabber/Vet) in the Northern KY/Greater Cincinnati Area, who works with squirrels? Today, something is wrong with Chompers- who turns 8 years old next week.
    He appears to have an injured leg. He clearly was letting me know he “didn’t feel well” today. I didn’t realize until he moved away from me, that one of his back legs is injured. I’m letting him have his space- so he can rest, and have moved everything he needs to the floor....I’m reaching out because I do not know the proper protocol....

Default Re: Please help- Injured Leg- Northern Kentucky

Quote Originally Posted by Chompers View Post
    If this does not belong in this thread, please move to appropriate section. Northern Ky- I know this is a long shot- but does anyone here know someone (Wildlife Rehabber/Vet) in the Northern KY/Greater Cincinnati Area, who works with squirrels? Today, something is wrong with Chompers- who turns 8 years old next week.
    He appears to have an injured leg. He clearly was letting me know he “didn’t feel well” today. I didn’t realize until he moved away from me, that one of his back legs is injured. I’m letting him have his space- so he can rest, and have moved everything he needs to the floor....I’m reaching out because I do not know the proper protocol....
    Can you describe what you are seeing with the injuried leg?
    Could he have taken a fall? Any noticeable swelling?
    Step-N-Stone
    State Licensed
    Wildlife Master Rehabilitator

3. Serious fuzzy thank you's to stepnstone from:

Chompers (09-14-2018)

Good Morning, It is possible that he could have taken a fall.....I know that's always possible, and what I've been wondering. He does not want us to come near him - which is not usual behavior, unless he doesn't feel good. The day before yesterday - when he came out to play (he gets free reign of my room to run around, play, hide nuts, etc) we were playing with one of his stuffed animals, and when we rolled over with it (like onto his back) he kindof "startled" himself, and make a little "squeak" sound, then ran onto the top of his cage. Normally, this would mean something is sore....or something scared him. I didn't think anything of it at the time....it's a tiny little squeak, like he does at night sometimes when I pick him up to put him back in his cage for the night. So - he is hiding under my bed, and when we go to look at him, he makes his warning sound - the kind he makes when he thinks I'm going to take one of his Pecans The only thing I could see, is that he's not using one of his hind legs - he appears to be holding it up, because it's not like dragging around behind him. A sidenote: for a few months - he has been having more mucous plugs when he urinates - I see them on his potty shelf. I did give him some TUMS the day before yesterday....which he actually seemed to welcome...(later at night, of the day he "startled" himself). The hiding & grunting began yesterday, late afternoon. So, I left him out of the cage - because i didn't want to bother him, and he didn't want to be bothered. This morning, he was sleeping in my bed - where he usually goes at night, before I put him away. He ran under the bed, and made the sounds - so we just let him be.....I don't want to stress him out.

Quote Originally Posted by stepnstone View Post
    Can you describe what you are seeing with the injuried leg?
    Could he have taken a fall? Any noticeable swelling?
    Sorry - I just figured out what "reply with quote" is....

Default Re: UPDATE Please help- Injured Leg- Northern Kentucky

Today Chompers was finally not hiding under my bed...he was actually in his cage, on his “potty shelf”. He was not aggressive at all, he crawled into my hands carefully, and wanted me to pet his head. His left hind foot is the issue. He’s not using it, he does drag it. When he “sits”, it’s underneath him. He is not making any type of whimpering sounds or warning sounds. I did not attempt to touch it. At one point, he ran up the outside of his cage (about 7’ tall) to the top, and laid down. It took about 10 minutes to get him to carefully get into my husbands hands, to get him down. He ate half of his Picky Block, some sweet potato, broccoli, and apple. He drank water, and he is going to the bathroom normally.
    This is a HUGE change from yesterday- when he was clearly showing us he would be aggressive if we tried to touch him. (8 years- he has NEVER shown aggression)

7. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Chompers from:

cava (09-16-2018)

Is he able to use it at all? If you roll his toes under on the back feet will he try to pick the foot up to fix it? How does it look? Compare to the other leg - is anything noticeably out of place?

Can you take some pics?