Thread: Quickly removing air bubbles from syringes

Default Quickly removing air bubbles from syringes

Obviously, a syringe with no air bubbles is better for a baby squirrel.
    Less chance of them swallowing air.

I am posting my method... because I have not seen anyone mention this trick.

I draw a syringe and (probably) have an air bubble near the plunger head.
    I hold the syringe in both hands, with the nipple in the formula, and pump the shaft fully and quickly two or three times.
    No air bubble.

This is basic physics. Air is compressible, while formula is not.
    So a quick pull puts more suction on the formula than the air, pulling it past and above the air bubble.
    If you do just one quick push/pull.. you will see the air bubble has moved about halfway down the tube.
    By a second or third push/pull, the air bubble is expelled into the formula.

This is a lot faster, easier, and less messy than the 'medical method' of holding up each syringe, tapping it to make the bubble move to the nipple, and expelling the bubble.
    They do not use this method in the medical field because they are drawing off sealed containers.

Side note: You will hear the air being expelled.. just pump it until the noise stops.

Default Re: Quickly removing air bubbles from syringes

Second Side note: I am trademarking this technique as "JavaRat Air Expulsion"
    If it saves just one of your babies from swallowing a bubble.. you owe me a Hug
    And you just got back in bed quicker after that 3am feeding!

3. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Javarat from:

ClemC5 (09-13-2018)