Thread: Proper feeding of babies and juveniles

alisakoken Guest

Default Proper feeding of babies and juveniles

Hi everyone! First post here. I have two (approx 6 weeks old) grey squirrels. I have always assumed puppy formula was okay based on the rehab books but here I've read so much about Fox Valley. I know you isn't safe for pinkies but these babies are older and I'm honestly concerned about calcium intake. One of them has had decreased activity in his hind legs. He is currently being treated with liquid SMZ for pneumonia and we are giving oral metacam for pain (he fell out of a 25' tree). I want to know the absolute best formula for what age. I just built a large 10'x12' enclosure and I am really trying to provide the best wildlife care.

Also, what are your favorite regular foods to feed? I've been just offering things like blueberries, squash, tomatoes, kale, a few almonds, etc.

Thank you in advance!

Alisa

alisakoken Guest

Default Re: Proper feeding of babies and juveniles

Meant to also add I am using powder calcium and/or critical care mixed in the formula to help with calcium.

Hi Alisa
    to TheSquirrelBoard

There is no need to supplement with calcium as long as they are on formula. I would discontinue the calcium and Critical Care.

The 2 formula options are powdered puppy Esbilac with probiotics and prebiotics OR Fox Valley 20:50. We don't recommend FoxValley 32:40 any longer due to problems digesting it. Formula is complete nutrition for babies. At 6 weeks the first food should be rodent block. You can give a single Henry's Healthy block and a commercial rodent block. My favorite is Harlan Teklad (Envigo) 20:18 but others are fine also. You can buy Mazuri or Oxbow locally. The Harlan Teklad and Henry's block has to be ordered online. After they stop taking formula the rodent blocks will provide a good deal of the minerals and vitamins. When they are eating block well you can introduce veggies. I wouldn't give fruit to a baby as they will get a sweet tooth and reject healthy veggies. I never give nuts to babies. Once a squirrel discovers nuts they will want ONLY nuts. After all, why eat broccoli or kale when pecans exist. They will become picky eaters and you don't want that. Nuts are extremely unhealthy for squirrels. They are high phosphorus foods. You seem aware of the need for calcium.

I have 4 baby squirrels about 8 weeks. They are also on formula. (Esbilac puppy formula). They have been eating block for about a week. Today I gave them a handful of kale and they devoured it. I will start introducing veggies one at a time. I'll introduce broccoli, cauliflower, sugar snap peas, spring greens, butternut squash, acorn squash, etc. I want them to be good eaters before they find out about fruit or nuts. Fruit and nuts will be for treats.

Let me get a link about baby squirrel care.

Edit... https://www.henryspets.com/baby-squirrel-care/

It's 6 pages long and has a lot of good information although much of it is for young babies.

alisakoken Guest

Where do you find the Envigo 18:20? Why do you like it better that the others?

Members who have read this thread: 2