Thread: Aggressive Male...HELP!

Breenaandtony Guest

Question Aggressive Male...HELP!

I'm in serious need of advice My dad runs heavy equipment clearing land. In February he called me to come pick up two Eastern Gray babies for rehabilitation. I had rehabilitated a couple in the past with much success so I jumped at the chance to help. My original plan was to rehabilitate and release but they were both injured. Nothing I couldn't handle. Fin seemed fine other than a few minor scratches. Dipper had about half his tail hanging by a thread so I doctored them up, got them nice and warm, hydrated them, and started feeding etc.... My boys are 8 months old, silly, wild, crazy and the list goes on... My problem is, Fin has recently started to ATTACK me! Bite me for no reason. Hes getting very aggressive toward his sweet little brother Dipper and I feel like I've done everything to stop this behavior. They share an 8ft by 6ft by 3ft home. They have nail trimmings faithfully every Friday. They run free in the house a few hours every day (supervised of course) I've taken away all hides and stashes. I don't feed them nuts unless for a treat or snack. They have a great diet with plenty of fruits, veggies, and squirrel block... How can I break my sweet boy of this aggressive behavior? Hes such a calm cuddly boy before all this, now I'm afraid to touch him. HELP!

2. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Breenaandtony from:

gunpackingrandma (09-11-2018)

Default Re: Aggressive Male...HELP!

Did they not recover from their injuries allowing them to be released? Or maybe the question is what disabilities do they currently have that prevents their release?

This aggressiveness is very normal as they get older, one of the reasons why squirrels do not make great pets (despite how sweet babies and adolescents are).

4. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Spanky from:

gunpackingrandma (09-11-2018)

Default Re: Aggressive Male...HELP!

Sometimes a new scent like shampoo or soap will set them off. They go crazy over the 'fresh outta the shower smell'. They WILL attack if you don't smell right.

Also, you have to consider that Fin is wilding up. Are there permanent disabilities or did the wounds heal? It's very common for them to wild up around puberty. A squirrel that is wilding up can get quite aggressive and vicious. Have you considered releasing them? If there are no disabilities I would certainly consider returning them to the trees. It's where they want to be.

6. 3 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to HRT4SQRLS:

gunpackingrandma (09-11-2018), Spanky (09-10-2018), stepnstone (09-11-2018)

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.