Thread: Rehabber needed in northern Virginia

Default Rehabber needed in northern Virginia

Hello, we have an eyes open baby with possible injuries who needs to be placed in northern Virginia. If anyone is in the area and willing to help, please private message me with your contact information. Here is the thread on reddit which has more information and some photos. https://www.reddit.com/r/squirrels/c...full_comments&

Thanks in advance for any help.

2. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Sqwirl from:

TubeDriver (09-10-2018)

Default Re: Rehabber needed in northern Virginia

We will try to locate some NVa rehabbers. He is too young to be out on his own. Has he been able to move his limbs and walk?

Quote Originally Posted by Sqwirl View Post
    Hello, we have an eyes open baby with possible injuries who needs to be placed in northern Virginia. If anyone is in the area and willing to help, please private message me with your contact information. Here is the thread on reddit which has more information and some photos. https://www.reddit.com/r/squirrels/c...full_comments&

Thanks in advance for any help.
    See my wild squirrel adventures in the thread "Squirtle's yard!":
    https://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/...quirtle-s-Yard!

Loving dad to Sir Max, 2017-2018. There is no foot so small that it cannot leave an imprint on this world.

"Once in a while you get shown the light, In the strangest of places if you look at it right."
    -Grateful Dead

Quote Originally Posted by TubeDriver View Post
    We will try to locate some NVa rehabbers. He is too young to be out on his own. Has he been able to move his limbs and walk?
    Thank you for your efforts. I hope we can find someone!

The finder first posted that the baby's legs seemed to be injured, but looking at the second photo, I think the squirrel might just have been too weak to stand up or move around very much. He looks like he might have normal leg strength in the second photo, but it is hard to tell just from a photo. It looks like he is grasping with the toes on one back leg, so that would mean it isn't broken, at least.

5. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Sqwirl from:

TubeDriver (09-10-2018)

Here is a website with licensed wildlife rehabbers. You can search by location. I don't know any of these folks so I can't recommend a specific person. If you talk with one, ask if they regularly rehab squirrels?

In the meantime, keep him in a warm, dry, quiet place. Add some fleece or an old t-shirt so he can hide under it and to help him stay warm. Do not use towels as they can get they claws tangled up in the material and end up with broken fingers. Be very careful about feeding him anything as it is easy for them to aspirate.

If I hear from anyone here about a specific rehabber, I'll post it up.

https://www.dgif.virginia.gov/wildli...tors/?fips=059

Loving dad to Sir Max, 2017-2018. There is no foot so small that it cannot leave an imprint on this world.

"Once in a while you get shown the light, In the strangest of places if you look at it right."
    -Grateful Dead

He did get a rehabber list, but I will share this one, too. He called the Virginia rehabbers on the first list, but they have not returned his call yet. I am concerned because he talked about putting him back in the same area, but I hope I persuaded him that this is not a good idea.

Please do send me the contact info for anyone that you find. Thank you.

We have two members in your area, Birdortiz and Jeeper.

I will send them both PM to akert them about your status.

He did get a rehabber list, but I will share this one, too. He called the Virginia rehabbers on the first list, but they have not returned his call yet. I am concerned because he talked about putting him back in the same area, but I hope I persuaded him that this is not a good idea.

Please do send me the contact info for anyone that you find. Thank you.

-Grateful Dead

Uggh, the moron apparently put him back outside. I just... People...

I explained that a quick blow to the head with a hammer is kinder than what he did and asked if he would go recover the baby. I have little hope of that, but one can pray. Sigh.

10. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Sqwirl from:

TubeDriver (09-11-2018)

DAMN!I won’t be back until next week but if somebody could have just held onto him till then! Pardon the language ****!
    And Pete has been looking EVERYWHERE for somebody to take him!

If you can convince him to take him back in, I will have someone to pick him up. What part of NVa is this in?

Uggh, the moron apparently put him back outside. I just... People...

I explained that a quick blow to the head with a hammer is kinder than what he did and asked if he would go recover the baby. I have little hope of that, but one can pray. Sigh.

-Grateful Dead

Quote Originally Posted by TubeDriver View Post
    If you can convince him to take him back in, I will have someone to pick him up. What part of NVa is this in?
    I don't know if I can, but I am trying... I am mtlchk on that forum in case you want to follow the conversation.

14. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Sqwirl from:

TubeDriver (09-11-2018)

If they get the squirrel back, it will be picked up and brought to a rehabbber. Thanks for trying to save this little one.

I don't know if I can, but I am trying... I am mtlchk on that forum in case you want to follow the conversation.

-Grateful Dead

Thanks for saying so. He did seem to feel bad and told me that he would go out to look. People can be a letdown, but it's always worth the effort to try, right?

Maybe we will get lucky and he will turn up? I am standing by in case this happens. Thanks for trying to help him.

Thanks for saying so. He did seem to feel bad and told me that he would go out to look. People can be a letdown, but it's always worth the effort to try, right?

-Grateful Dead

What happened to this baby? Anyway of checking with the finder who put the baby back out?

19. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Chickenlegs from:

TubeDriver (09-14-2018)

I asked, and that's the most I can do. There is no way to get more contact information from the forum.

21. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Sqwirl from:

TubeDriver (09-14-2018)

-Grateful Dead

I am sorry that it didn't work out I do my best, but people don't always read or listen to what they read.

It can get really heartbreaking sometimes. I help everyone who posts looking for help in that forum, and tonight I got another blow. This guy messaged me saying that he killed his baby girl by rolling over onto her in his sleep. I warned him less than 36 hours ago that that was a serious risk and that I had read about more than one squirrel that died that way... I told him that it happens quite often when you take that chance that you kill them that way... So much irony there. I try and try and try to think of everything, then people go ahead and do thoughtless, careless or stupid things anyway. Sometimes I wonder if I should even bother with it at all