Thread: Help this new mom please?! Baby can’t go number 2.

Britt Guest

Default Help this new mom please?! Baby can’t go number 2.

My son found a couple of small gray squirrels on the ground being attacked by an adult. Th day before yesterday he found the first, who was dead & yesterday he found the live one. He heard the babies shrieking, and the first one had a big bite in the neck & died immediately, but we got to the other before the adult could hurt him. I’m thinking he’d been away from Mom for awhile bc I did the turgor test & he was very dehydrated. I got pedialyte & a small syringe. I also have esbilac puppy formula & heavy whipping cream, but haven’t given him any of that yet. He’s fully furred, eyes open, but no top teeth yet, I’m thinkimg he’s around 6 weeks old. At first he was so weak he couldn’t hang on to our finger & his eyes looked dull. Now he is very strong & bright eyed. He’s taking the pedialyte just fine & I’m helping him urinate after drinking every time. He’s going every time & it’s light yellow. The problem is he hasn’t deficated yet & he just threw up a tiny bit. I’m worried he’s constipated. My husband & I have taken turns rubbing his bottom with warm water on a cotton ball. While I was at the store yesterday getting pedialyte & formula my husband gave him half an unsalted almond. I told him to stop immediately bc he is dehydrated & not old enough for that, which will someday be an occasional snack & not the main component of his diet. Poor hubby feels awful now. How do I help this baby go potty?! I’m so worried & don’t know what to do. I’ve rubbed for 5 minutes at a time with th warm water. If he’s still drinking the pedialyte & peeing should I keep giving it to him? My mom has successfully rehabbed a newborn pinky , but this is my first time & she’s over 1000 miles away from me.

Default Re: Help this new mom please?! Baby can’t go number 2.

The reason he's not pooping is because he has nothing inside him. Start feeding that baby and he will make poop. Cut back on the Pedialyte. Pinch up the skin for dehydration like you have been doing. He can have hydration between feedings if he is still dehydrated.

Feed that baby. Sometimes it takes a few day before you see poop. It depends on how long they were away from mom.

Bad daddy..
    NO nuts for a baby!

3. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to HRT4SQRLS:

stepnstone (09-09-2018)

Britt Guest

Ok! I’ll start giving him formula. Should I mix it with the ped at first?

No, never mix formula with pedialyte. Mix it with water. Mix his formula at 1 part powdered formula to 3 parts water and let him adjust to that before mixing it full strength, which is 1 part powder to 2 parts water.

Britt Guest

Ok, I knew to mix it with water, but then that mixture, is that ok to mix with the ped? I’ve read both.
    Great news! He finally went!! Yay!

Pedialyte shouldn't be used for more than 24-48 hours. It contains too much sodium. If you feel the need to hydrate above the water in the formula, offer water in between (not in place of) regular formula feedings.

8. Serious fuzzy thank you's to cava from:

Mel1959 (09-09-2018)

Britt Guest

Red face Re: Help this new mom please?! Baby can’t go number 2.

Update:
    He’s on formula now, no pedialyte & pooping like a champ every time he eats.
    Thanks for he help!!

10. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Britt from:

cava (09-10-2018)

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.