Thread: Can squirrels brought up by humans from age 5 weeks really learn to live in the wild?

Default Can squirrels brought up by humans from age 5 weeks really learn to live in the wild?

I got my squirrel when he was 5 weeks old. He is very healthy. I have read tons of stuff on raising a squirrel. BUT, I just can't wrap my head around the fact that he can be fine after I release him. How can that be? I can't teach him to look for food. This is making me crazy and I'm actually loosing sleep over this! Please tell me they survive after release!

Default Re: Can squirrels brought up by humans from age 5 weeks really learn to live in the w

Of course they survive outside. Definitely! I have a 5 year old and a 2 year old that I released that still visit me. I raised the 2 yr old from a pinky. I saw her on Friday. They have powerful instincts that tell them what to do. We don't teach them those things. They just know.

I think the most awesome example for me is watching a baby flying squirrel. I can't teach them to glide. A baby flyer will leap off a ledge and they instinctively KNOW to stretch those arms and legs out to unfurl the patagium. How do they know to do that? Instincts. It's in their DNA. They don't need flight lessons.

It's the same with grey squirrels. When they are released, after exploring the trees for a while some will immediately start trying to build a drey. Of course, it's a pathetic drey and it often falls from the tree but they don't give up. They keep working at it. Again, instincts. They are wild at heart. They have not been domesticated for a thousand years like cats and dogs. MOST squirrels will start wilding up near puberty. They start getting bitey and can be aggressive. We never encourage people to keep them as pets because frankly, they make lousy pets. Those that keep non releasable squirrels with disabilities have to adapt their lives to the quirks of the squirrel.

I have to say I do understand the emotions that you're feeling. You can't imagine allowing this precious little thing outside to the mercy of Mother Nature. You have to remember that the trees are their home. When given the opportunity that's where they want to be.

3. 7 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to HRT4SQRLS:

ClemC5 (09-10-2018), Grinderhead (09-09-2018), gunpackingrandma (09-11-2018), island rehabber (09-12-2018), michellel (09-09-2018), stepnstone (09-09-2018), SugarMom (09-09-2018)

Default Re: Can squirrels brought up by humans from age 5 weeks really learn to live in the w

I will warn you that the males are more likely to relocate to establish their own territory. Just because they disappear it doesn't mean that they died.

I know of a person in FL that released a male Sherman Fox squirrel. He hung around the house for a while and then disappeared. Later the mailman told the guy... I know where Buster is. He took him over a mile away. I can't remember the specifics but it was over a mile. There was an area with Shermans in a field of pines. The man called out for Buster and a squirrel came running towards him. It was Buster. This Sherman had left home and would never return home but he was fine. The reality was that he WAS at home... his home which is the trees. If we think about it in terms of our home we will torment ourselves to death. When we release them to nature we do it knowing that it's the right thing to do.

5. 4 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to HRT4SQRLS:

ClemC5 (09-10-2018), gunpackingrandma (09-11-2018), island rehabber (09-12-2018)

Oh, this is wonderful advice. Love the story of Buster. I just wanted to make sure. I read a blog where a woman said she wished her squirrel could live in the wild but wasn't possible because she raised him. That blog put doubt in my mine. So, after I reading that, I brought Hammy outside into my cat enclosure (minus cats, of course). The enclosure has grass and plants and sunshine. First time for him. He was timid as expected. Everyday I will bring him out there then graduate to trees.

Like HRT4SQRLS said "They have powerful instincts that tell them what to do. We don't teach them those things." As they get older and more confident you will see those skills and reflexes develop. I like to think I help them by having a series of cages that progress from the incubator through to the release cage, but I think it is more entertaining for me than anything. Every couple of weeks they graduate to a new cage that is a little bigger and has more toys to help build skills more quickly so the morning when the door to the release cage is opened they are confident and ready to go. They usually come home every evening to sleep in the release cage for a week or two then slowly all find places to be (busy, busy). It is great if they come by for a visit, but even if they don't, just know in your heart that you made a difference in the world and it is all good. Then take the skills that your learned with this one and go find more that need some help to make it back to the trees.

8. 3 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to ClemC5:

gunpackingrandma (09-11-2018), island rehabber (09-12-2018), michellel (09-10-2018)

Hi, thank you for replying. Great advice. Where do you put your release cage. Do you have any pics of it that you can post?
    Thanks!

I built my release cages around the only two large trees I have in my yard....one an oak and the other a royal poinciana. I put the portal at the top near the tree trunk. This way they only have to climb up the tree and not venture to the ground until their ready. I put a 2 wooden nest boxes inside the release cage and let them get their scent in them. Then when it’s time for release I put one of the nest boxes up in the tree above the release cage. Both times that I have done this (I don’t release a lot of squirrels here) the squirrels have stayed close to home, at least for awhile, and used the nest boxes.

Here’s some pics of mine.
    Attached Images Attached Images      

11. 5 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Mel1959:

BuckysMommy (11-07-2019), cava (09-10-2018), gunpackingrandma (09-11-2018), island rehabber (09-12-2018), michellel (09-11-2018)

Here's mine. On the bottom deck near the woods.

Name:  IMG_20180411_180050.jpg
Views: 143
Size:  168.8 KBName:  IMG_20180414_083708.jpg
Views: 143
Size:  153.3 KB

13. 3 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to cava:

ClemC5 (09-11-2018), gunpackingrandma (09-11-2018), michellel (09-11-2018)

@Mel1959 & Cava, your enclosures are awesome and so big. Unfortunately, my little guy is in one of those two tiered cat cage. Thanks for posting your pictures!