Thread: Do they ever get over that "I need to eat now, might not get more" frenzy?

Default Do they ever get over that "I need to eat now, might not get more" frenzy?

My babies are always frantic when feeding time comes. They are all eating well over the 7% at each feeding, but they act like they have not eaten in ages I hope that one day they might get over this.

Default Re: Do they ever get over that "I need to eat now, might not get more" frenzy?

Be glad of that, it means you have healthy babies.
    redwuff
    State Licensed
    Master Wildlife Rehabilitator

3. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to redwuff:

ClemC5 (09-06-2018), island rehabber (09-05-2018)

Default Re: Do they ever get over that "I need to eat now, might not get more" frenzy?

How old? Start putting some healthy rodent block in the bin with them even if their eyes aren’t open. Harlan Teklad 18, Oxbow regal rat, or Mazuri are healthy choices. Then when they are older, they will choose healthy food and will likely chew it even as tiny tikes.

5. 3 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Chickenlegs:

BluePuppet (09-05-2018), cava (09-05-2018), redwuff (09-05-2018)

Quote Originally Posted by Chickenlegs View Post
    How old? Start putting some healthy rodent block in the bin with them even if their eyes aren’t open. Harlan Teklad 18, Oxbow regal rat, or Mazuri are healthy choices. Then when they are older, they will choose healthy food and will likely chew it even as tiny tikes.
    Their eyes opened this past Saturday/Sunday. I put Kaytee forti Diet in there soon after and they are all chewing on it now

Rattriffic Guest

Quote Originally Posted by BluePuppet View Post
    My babies are always frantic when feeding time comes. They are all eating well over the 7% at each feeding, but they act like they have not eaten in ages I hope that one day they might get over this.
    I found while they are nursing I stroke their head or around their neck.... it relaxes them and seems to greatly reduce the frantic flailing and scratching. they will just lay there and suck , they will get to where they close their eyes and calm right down

Quote Originally Posted by BluePuppet View Post
    I chuckled when I read this. My Nibbles was a voracious syringe eater. I tried going up to a 3ml but couldn’t get the push speed right and went back to 1ml. He had nearly the entire end chewed off by the time he weaned. He stood on his hind legs and stretched his whole body out and I’d have to adjust accordingly. And he’d make laps around me and run all over my hands while I tried to refill. It was sometimes annoying but cute as could be.

My 15 week olds would fight over a syringe... so... 'No, they don't get over it'.