Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Taz again

Default Re: Taz again

Quote Originally Posted by Trooper View Post
    For those with an inquisitive mind and time to read, I attach these papers on research of this subject.

Trooper's dad
    That is exactly the wax I am seeing.

Thank you for all the gland info. I’ll have to read those papers tonight.

Going back a bit, he did seem to have trouble pooping for about a day but he is past that now. So, if the glands are hazelnut-sized and hard, and he is not having trouble going to the bathroom, then he should be fine?

I’ll print out those papers now and read them over.

Thanks!

Yes, if he is ok and continues to not have any issue passing stool.

Isn't there is still the concern as to what the dark spot on the x-ray is looking like now?

Quote Originally Posted by Diggie's Friend View Post
    Yes, if he is ok and continues to not have any issue passing stool.

Isn't there is still the concern as to what the dark spot on the x-ray is looking like now?
    If the glands are fine, then perhaps I am just worrying too much. He is eating and drinking and peeing and pooping. Now that I have a better understanding of the glands and wax being expressed during urination, then it seems he is pretty normal for a 14 year old blind squirrel.

Yes, I am concerned about the dark spots, did you see the x-ray? I attached it again, just in case. If you can't see it, try using google chrome or I can email it to you off the board if you p.m. me.

But I can't see surgery being an option, no matter what the dark spots are. And to find out what they are a sonogram would probably be needed.

It's looking like I should just nurse the little guy along and stop worrying so much
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Quote Originally Posted by sqrlnut View Post
    If the glands are fine, then perhaps I am just worrying too much. He is eating and drinking and peeing and pooping. Now that I have a better understanding of the glands and wax being expressed during urination, then it seems he is pretty normal for a 14 year old blind squirrel.

Yes, I am concerned about the dark spots, did you see the x-ray? I attached it again, just in case. If you can't see it, try using google chrome or I can email it to you off the board if you p.m. me.

But I can't see surgery being an option, no matter what the dark spots are. And to find out what they are a sonogram would probably be needed.

It's looking like I should just nurse the little guy along and stop worrying so much
    __________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ________________________
    Hi Sqrlnut: is your boy 14 years old???? My, my, my you've got my respect. Way to go!! I am so glad to see they can get to be that age and in good health. In your case, I hear he is blind, an additional kudos.

I work in the medical industry (da Vinci Robotic surgery) and I see x-rays at work right and left. I am no expert by any extend, but if your are referring to the dark spots on the center of the radiograph, resembling circular blobs, those are air pockets or gas in the intestines. Remember that a dark spot or area in a x-ray means the beams have struck the detector (or x-ray film) with greater strength after passing the body, and since air slows the beam the least, the film or detector appear dark (just like any area outside the subject's body).

If on the other hand you were concerned about a tumor or mass in his body, it should appear with a "whiter" coloration in its shape than the rest its surroundings (closer to the white you see on his bones).

Maybe I am missing the point, but my inexperienced knowledge of reading x-rays films says "I don't see anything that looks 'drastically' abnormal". I can however have the film viewed by my colleagues at work and see if they see anything alarming. But a vet that knows the anatomy of squirrels would be your first and best bet to have a certified assessment.

Let me know if I can help in any other way.

Trooper's dad
    __________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ _________________________________
    " When you save someone's life, you're responsible for theirs for the rest of yours" - Confucius
    Trooper's Troop: Plain, Rufina, Scratchy, Runty, Blackie, Beanie, Biff, PreetyBoy, Limpy, Jaws, Scarface, Badtail and Housemama
    Trooper's Story at: http://www.mixbook.com/photo-books/interests/trooper-friends-9554554?vk=759PD8gn7A

5. 3 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Trooper:

Diggie's Friend (09-08-2018), JLM27 (09-08-2018), sqrlnut (09-08-2018)

I have read that during mating season, defecating can be more difficult for males. Is it possibly seasonal?
    Squirrels, squirrels and more squirrels....
    Prayers for the people who make this a better world...
    savesquirrels@sbcglobal.net

7. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to SammysMom:

Diggie's Friend (09-08-2018), sqrlnut (09-08-2018)

Correction from my previous post: MTS dose (1 drop) from ml syringe given every other day for maintenance.

Noted on label: (1 ml 1000 mg. = approximately 40 drops)

9. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Diggie's Friend:

dr3am (10-16-2018), sqrlnut (09-08-2018)

Trooper wrote:

I work in the medical industry (da Vinci Robotic surgery) and I see x-rays at work right and left. I am no expert by any extend, but if your are referring to the dark spots on the center of the radiograph, resembling circular blobs, those are air pockets or gas in the intestines. Remember that a dark spot or area in a x-ray means the beams have struck the detector (or x-ray film) with greater strength after passing the body, and since air slows the beam the least, the film or detector appear dark (just like any area outside the subject's body).

If on the other hand you were concerned about a tumor or mass in his body, it should appear with a "whiter" coloration in its shape than the rest its surroundings (closer to the white you see on his bones).
    In that case this would be very good news it is not indicating a possible cancer.

Strange that the vet would say it was likely a tumor. I read had that dark spots may indicate an infection; good to know it isn't always that either.

Trooper: Sqrlnut wrote that her boy becomes uncomfortable when eating squash. Rather odd reaction, save he is constipated, then causing his bowel to move which can be uncomfortable as most all know when this happens, which resolves constipation.

Any thoughts?
    Last edited by Diggie's Friend; 09-08-2018 at 07:03 AM. Reason: e

11. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Diggie's Friend from:

sqrlnut (09-08-2018)

__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ________________________
    Hi Sqrlnut: is your boy 14 years old???? My, my, my you've got my respect. Way to go!! I am so glad to see they can get to be that age and in good health. In your case, I hear he is blind, an additional kudos.

Maybe I am missing the point, but my inexperienced knowledge of reading x-rays films says "I don't see anything that looks 'drastically' abnormal". I can however have the film viewed by my colleagues at work and see if they see anything alarming. But a vet that knows the anatomy of squirrels would be your first and best bet to have a certified assessment.

Let me know if I can help in any other way.

Trooper's dad
    Oh, yes, he is about 14 by now. He is blind from cataracts coming on the last year or so. He's just about as sweet as can be.

Air pockets does make sense. But he does have a lump in his abdomen that we can feel. It's near his bladder and the Dr. said that's what the dark spots are, however, it doesn't seem to match what we feel. And like you said, it should show up whiter rather than darker. The lump does not seem to bother him in any way at all. And though I thought is was getting bigger, I can say it really isn't. Since it appears to be near his bladder, that is why we thought he was having trouble peeing and perhaps had a UTI. I did the Sulfatrim for two weeks and it helped a lot. I believe the Dr. said Sulfatrim doesn't kill the bacteria but rather keeps it from growing till what is there dies off.

I can massage him up and down and all over and he shows absolutely no signs of pain. He doesn't wince or react no matter what I do to him. He just loves being handled and massaged all over. Especially his 'undercarriage'

He loves to climb and play all over my lap, arms and shoulders. He loves when I sit with him while he eats his Henry's or snacks on his patio table. He still manages to get himself all around his room and knows what routes to take to get where he wants to go. Honestly, the little guy is amazing.

If his glands are normal and the wax expression through urination is normal and the lump in his belly is not bothering him, and he is eating, drinking and going to the bathroom ok, then I think I'll just love the little guy for the rest of his days.

Thank you so much for all of your help

In that case this would be very good news it is not indicating a possible cancer.

Strange that the vet would say it was likely a tumor. I read had that dark spots may indicate an infection; good to know it isn't always that either.

Trooper: Sqrlnut wrote that her boy becomes uncomfortable when eating squash. Rather odd reaction, save he is constipated, then causing his bowel to move which can be uncomfortable as most all know when this happens, which resolves constipation.

Any thoughts?
    I've just been giving him all fresh (greens) veggies and fruits, mostly on the list from Henry's website. He eats his Henry's biscuits twice a day and crunches monkey biscuits throughout the day too. And he has been sipping the organic cranberry juice as well. Other than that, I give him a piece of pecan or almond or walnut as a treat here and there. And I've got him back on the PSO.

And don't forget, we can feel a lump in his belly, that's why the vet said a tumor. As I wrote to Trooper, what we feel doesn't seem to match what we see. That is why I was considering an x-ray with sedation. But the lump is not growing from what I've been feeling. Craziest thing!

Give him some watermelon.
    We live in a heaven created by our virtues --- Muktananda

Quote Originally Posted by JLM27 View Post
    Give him some watermelon.
    I usually do, but it's getting mushy this time of year. He likes things fresh and crisp

It went from 90s and humid to cold and rainy overnight. Taz hunkered down with all fresh stuffins

17. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to sqrlnut:

dr3am (10-16-2018), Grinderhead (09-09-2018)

There is another possible cause for this lump know as bladder 'Diverticulum'. a large balloon-like pouch that is forms from the bladder to the exterior of the normal bladder structure caused by the rupture of diverticula in the bladder due to an infection that is 'common to mammals'. This condition in turn can promote bladder stones. You don't want to use ibuprofen for inflamed diverticula, as this can increase bleeding. This condition is subject to reoccurring infections which may require repeated ABs. Check with your vet on this as a possible cause of the lump.

https://radiopaedia.org/images/2791407 (in human)

https://www.petmd.com/exotic/conditi...t_urolithiasis

Here is a photo of this in humans; can't presently locate one in rats. The diverticula sometimes are cancerous, but not always.

http://www.netvet.co.uk/rats/urinary-tract-health.htm

Prevention of urinary problems in rats

Prevention is always best done by making sure that the habitat is kept very clean and if a rat has an infection it should be kept away from others. Rats as they grow older often become less able to clean themselves and so elderly male rats should be inspected often to make sure that their penises have not developed a waxy plug which will make passing urine more difficult and bladder distension and possible reflux of urine into the kidney more likely. This can be cleaned away with a dampened cotton bud. Due to other conditions, rats occasionally suffer from diarrhea and if they do, it is important to keep the whole back end clean; if the rat is feeling under the weather with any other condition, the opportunistic bacteria could easily infect the urinary tract and the animal would have few resources with which to fight it off successfully.

http://diverticulitiscuredathome.com...tis-treatment/

In humans:

Bladder diverticulitis usually doesn’t need any treatment, unless any problems arise due to the formation of pouches. The treatment can help to resolve the problems like bladder stones, tumors, recurrent infection or reflux that are associated with diverticulitis. The condition can be controlled by managing the symptoms. There may require a long-term medication treatment. In case of recurring infection, antibiotic therapy is recommended. To resolve urinary obstruction, the treatment aims at relief of obstruction and possible removal diverticulum. In some cases, surgery may be needed to remove the pouches. Both open and laparoscopic options are available for bladder diverticulitis surgery. The surgery may be difficult due to inflammation of chronic infection of diverticula. In patients who cannot undergo an open surgery, the diverticulum should be treated by enlarging its opening into the bladder.

19. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Diggie's Friend from:

sqrlnut (09-09-2018)

Be sure to keep up the support of the pre-probiotics with Pet Flora by "Safer Medical", as this is an essential part of a healthy diet.

21. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Diggie's Friend from:

sqrlnut (09-09-2018)

Be sure to keep up the support of the pre-probiotics with Pet Flora by "Safer Medical", as this is an essential part of a healthy diet.
    Yes, I have this for him too. Thank you

23. Serious fuzzy thank you's to sqrlnut from:

Diggie's Friend (09-09-2018)

"Prevention of urinary problems in rats

Prevention is always best done by making sure that the habitat is kept very clean and if a rat has an infection it should be kept away from others. Rats as they grow older often become less able to clean themselves and so elderly male rats should be inspected often to make sure that their penises have not developed a waxy plug which will make passing urine more difficult and bladder distension and possible reflux of urine into the kidney more likely. This can be cleaned away with a dampened cotton bud. Due to other conditions, rats occasionally suffer from diarrhea and if they do, it is important to keep the whole back end clean; if the rat is feeling under the weather with any other condition, the opportunistic bacteria could easily infect the urinary tract and the animal would have few resources with which to fight it off successfully."

I will say the little fellow couldn't be more clean. He still cleans his face and paws and fluffs his tail all the time. I check him for wax build up about 100 times a day and wipe him with a warm cloth as needed or not needed because I fuss over him so darn much I keep his stuffins changed every other day or so and love on him every extra second I have

He sips organic cranberry juice as well.

25. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to sqrlnut:

cava (09-09-2018), Diggie's Friend (09-09-2018)

Hi Sqrlnut;

I quickly read all the posts, and let me clarify a few things about the lump you feel on Taz. My Trooper has two "fatty tumors" under his right chest, just above his diaphragm that show and feel like a big blob of fleshy tissue but it is not hard when you press with two fingertips (this is one of the test my vet taught me to assess if it could be malignant, in which case it should feel hard like a fresh snow pea). Also is you press on it as noted above and the squirrel shows any sign of pain, it too would be reason for concern, as malignant tumors hurt a bit when pressed.

As far as what I read from your vet indicating that the round blobs on the x-rays could be tumors, if I read the post right, I think he/she is misinformed on squirrel anatomy. Attached are two old squirrel anatomy dissection diagrams. One for ground female and the other for tree male squirrels. Both subspecies show the bladder at the end of the body, almost near the anus (one marked "Urinary Bladder' and the other "bl".

The supposed tumors or lumps referred to in the x-rays are in front of Taz testicles and in the mesentery liver-stomach area, so they could not be a bladder tumor/mass. Also as I noted, masses or higher densities formations should register on an X-ray as a whiter coloration not almost black. Sorry if I seem insistent, but knowledge is power and I hate you worrying for the wrong reasons.

Trooper's dad
    __________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ _________________________________
    " When you save someone's life, you're responsible for theirs for the rest of yours" - Confucius
    Trooper's Troop: Plain, Rufina, Scratchy, Runty, Blackie, Beanie, Biff, PreetyBoy, Limpy, Jaws, Scarface, Badtail and Housemama
    Trooper's Story at: http://www.mixbook.com/photo-books/interests/trooper-friends-9554554?vk=759PD8gn7A

27. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Trooper:

sqrlnut (09-10-2018), TubeDriver (09-10-2018)

Hi Sqrlnut;

I quickly read all the posts, and let me clarify a few things about the lump you feel on Taz. My Trooper has two "fatty tumors" under his right chest, just above his diaphragm that show and feel like a big blob of fleshy tissue but it is not hard when you press with two fingertips (this is one of the test my vet taught me to assess if it could be malignant, in which case it should feel hard like a fresh snow pea). Also is you press on it as noted above and the squirrel shows any sign of pain, it too would be reason for concern, as malignant tumors hurt a bit when pressed.

As far as what I read from your vet indicating that the round blobs on the x-rays could be tumors, if I read the post right, I think he/she is misinformed on squirrel anatomy. Attached are two old squirrel anatomy dissection diagrams. One for ground female and the other for tree male squirrels. Both subspecies show the bladder at the end of the body, almost near the anus (one marked "Urinary Bladder' and the other "bl".

The supposed tumors or lumps referred to in the x-rays are in front of Taz testicles and in the mesentery liver-stomach area, so they could not be a bladder tumor/mass. Also as I noted, masses or higher densities formations should register on an X-ray as a whiter coloration not almost black. Sorry if I seem insistent, but knowledge is power and I hate you worrying for the wrong reasons.

Trooper's dad
    Hi Trooper's Dad!

Wow, that's interesting where the bladder is in a squirrel, I'll save those pics to share.

We played so much tonight, he was in super good spirits and had a blast climbing my shoulders and sitting on my lap doing sniffy sniffers. Taking off and doing laps around his room and finding his way back to me. Lots of full body massages, hugs and kisses. And like I say, he shows absolutely no signs of pain no matter what I do to him. I massage his font legs and paws, back legs and feet, back, chin, ears and undercarriage. He loves it all! I'm working in all his supplements and he is eating good.

I would have to say the lump in his abdomen is not hard, firm perhaps, but not hard. I don't like to disturb it, though it certainly doesn't seem to bother him.

Hope Trooper is well! Give him a scritchie from us!

Just a quick note to say hi! Been busy and spending so much time with Taz. He is doing good, eating, drinking, peeing, pooping and playing very well. He is my Heart

30. 3 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to sqrlnut:

cava (10-07-2018), dr3am (10-16-2018), Grinderhead (10-07-2018)

Adorable 😍

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast