Thread: Ember is acting weird. Is she sick?

Default Ember is acting weird. Is she sick?

So yesterday morning I went in to fed her and she wasn’t in a good mood so i thought okay let me leave her alone for a bit maybe she’s just in a bad mood. That evening I went to go check on her and give her some nuts and more food and she wouldn’t come out of her home and didn’t touch anything I had given her. I then noticed liquidity poop i guess like diarrhea around her cage. I thought maybe something was up but sometimes it resolves itself the next day so I figured I’d wait and see if anything changed today.
    Today I came home and went to check on her food still untouched from yesterday and she was growling and attacking me through the cage. I took her house out tomake sure she was physically okay. I got her out of the cage and on the floor and she is walking funny she keeps tucking her butt in while she walks. She seems fine for the most part. I give her 2 henry blocks every day. she doesnt always eat them most days she does. I feel like shes a bit weaker and slower. ill post a picture of her poop. She just had some water so thats good. I dont know if im just overly paranoid because of when she was little and kept getting sick or if it will pass or what.
    Name:  8A78BDBE-77F9-4C50-A60B-A8B796C699C2.jpg
Views: 129
Size:  154.5 KB

Default Re: Ember is acting weird. Is she sick?

Name:  A1FD1698-E41F-44F1-AF7F-15A9D768E104.jpg
Views: 113
Size:  77.5 KB

How is Ember doing? Does she still have soft stool?

What else does she eat besides Henrys blocks? Have you changed any foods?

You mentioned she’s walking funny. Can you examine her rectum to see if it’s either irritated or has feces sticking to the fur around it?

4. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Mel1959 from:

tori_theanimallover (12-20-2018)

She seems better today. I feed her butternut squash, brussel sprouts, sugar snap peas, avocado, lettuce usually. Ill add sweet potato, and some treats in and fruits too not everyday though. Shes a very picky eater and never eats everything i give her. I also have tried steaming, boiling, microwaving, air frying foods for a different taste and she still wont eat everything.
    She does have poop stuck to fur near her butt. her rectum didnt look irritated yesterday, she wouldnt let me look at it when I got home from work I will try again in a few hours. She let me cuddle her and hold her but occasionally gave a growl. shes active again but the liquidity poops are still all over the cage.

if there are fees sstuck to her little butt, she will rub her rear end as she walks. Trouble is, the more she does this, the more she'll end up with stuck up there - happened to one of my boys. It may even end up blocking her anus and could lead to her faces being impacted inside.

I would clean up her little rear, using vaseline, or coconut oil to get the worse off, then wash it delicately to make sure she can evacuate easily.

Poor little thing... they're such clean creatures by nature, they are miserable when that happens.

I would make sure to clean the cage thoroughly and check for chaches... she might have gotten hold of some old food... or maybe something else in the room. My guy had found an old auntrap left over by the previous owner!!! Nearly poisoned himself with it.
    "In the midst of our lives we must find the magic that makes our souls soar."
    My darling Scooter, beloved Hami, sweet gentle Simon... YOU are the ones who brought that magic in my life. You've changed the way I see all things around me now and, because of you, I want to be a better person. This is not goodbye, my sweethearts. You be at peace, your work here on earth is done... now you are finally, truly free. Until we meet at the Bridge again, please remember that I will always love you.
    The greatness of a nation can be measured by the way it treats its animals.
    - Gandhi -

7. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Scooterzmom:

Diggie's Friend (12-20-2018), tori_theanimallover (12-20-2018)

Thank you so much! I just cleaned her bootay got a big dried poop off and now shes cleaning herself. Next I will clean the cage. Ive heard that squirrels are clean but Ember mist be the black sheep because she is so dirty!! Her house always has old food and what not. She has recently found my hoodie pocket and hood to be enjoyable spots to cuddle up. Sorry to hear about the ant trap with your bubs least hes okay! Thanks for all your help I get so worried with her maybe she just had a little cold

9. Serious fuzzy thank you's to tori_theanimallover from:

Scooterzmom (12-20-2018)

Their personal hygiene is great, yes. Their nest and surrounding??? Well, that's a whole different story.

I would check her little bootie again tomorrow, just to be on the safe side.
    My darling Scooter, beloved Hami, sweet gentle Simon... YOU are the ones who brought that magic in my life. You've changed the way I see all things around me now and, because of you, I want to be a better person. This is not goodbye, my sweethearts. You be at peace, your work here on earth is done... now you are finally, truly free. Until we meet at the Bridge again, please remember that I will always love you.
    - Gandhi -

11. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Scooterzmom from:

tori_theanimallover (12-21-2018)

Definitely clean the cage and her bedding and continue to check her bottom for dried feces. Make sure she’s getting plenty of liquids while her stool is loose. Infant rice cereal can be mixed with water and given by syringe or offered in a bowl. She might eat it and it helps firm stool. Other things are bananas and pumpkin (canned but not the pie mix). You can also give a drop of pepto bismol or Imodium, beware it may turn the poop dark as it’s passing through.

She definitely looks like she doesn’t feel good in the picture.

13. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Mel1959:

Scooterzmom (12-21-2018), tori_theanimallover (12-21-2018)

Quote Originally Posted by Scooterzmom View Post
    Their personal hygiene is great, yes. Their nest and surrounding??? Well, that's a whole different story.

I would check her little bootie again tomorrow, just to be on the safe side.
    haha that is true! and i did her poops are still soft but they are hardening up. they have form now. her rectum looked a bit pinkish red but it’s probably irritated from all the scooting around. activity levels are normal too today

Quote Originally Posted by Mel1959 View Post
    Definitely clean the cage and her bedding and continue to check her bottom for dried feces. Make sure she’s getting plenty of liquids while her stool is loose. Infant rice cereal can be mixed with water and given by syringe or offered in a bowl. She might eat it and it helps firm stool. Other things are bananas and pumpkin (canned but not the pie mix). You can also give a drop of pepto bismol or Imodium, beware it may turn the poop dark as it’s passing through.

She definitely looks like she doesn’t feel good in the picture.
    Got it! and good idea ill give her some banana tonight. She’s pretty good with drinking water but ill keep all that in mind. Tahanks for all your help.
    Yeah that was the 1st or 2nd and she just seemed out of it but this was her yesterday.
    Name:  A9B0FC65-3F96-4021-A057-9B0DFF3350EA.jpg
Views: 93
Size:  77.8 KBName:  B354FF09-B81D-4414-ABB1-5E27D856C62C.jpg
Views: 80
Size:  66.6 KB

16. Serious fuzzy thank you's to tori_theanimallover from:

Scooterzmom (12-21-2018)

You might put some vaseline aroune her little anus, to help with the irritation. Re. the bananas, make sure it's not too ripe/soft, that would give her the runs again.
    - Gandhi -

Add a 1/2 Tsp. of cooked Old Fashioned plain quick cook (no sugars or sweeteners) organic oatmeal.

It adds bulk to the bowel and slows up digestion which supports firmer stools. It also contains, 'glucans' that soothe the lining of the intestinal tract.

Any organic brand will do; I favor Bob's Red Mill brand old Fashioned organic quick cook oats. 1/4 Tsp. yields about 1/2 Tsp. cooked. (don't use instant)

There are a number of variations, this one is the one used in a squirrel diet.

https://www.bobsredmill.com/gluten-f...lled-oats.html

Add a 1/2 Tsp. of cooked Old Fashioned organic plain quick cook oatmeal (no sugars or sweeteners).

It adds bulk to the bowel and slows up digestion which supports firmer stools.

It also contains, 'glucans' that soothe the lining of the intestinal tract.

I favor Bob's Red Mill brand old Fashioned organic quick cook oats.

(1/4 Tsp.) yields about (1/2 Tsp.) cooked. (do not use instant) Add just 1/4 Tsp. cooked twice a day to each of 2 meals.

There are a number of variations, this one is the one used in a squirrel diet.

https://www.bobsredmill.com/gluten-f...lled-oats.html

20. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Diggie's Friend from:

tori_theanimallover (12-30-2018)

Thank you. Going to try that as her poops started to get better but now are back to how they were. she wont really eat rodent blocks and hasn’t been cracking open her walnuts. she has lost some weight (shes always been small and a picky eater) but i can feel her spine a lot more now. do you guys have any tips on what i can do to help her gain healthy weight. she’s active and will eat i got fresh food for her today. just gave her some cooked celery, mushrooms, brussel sprouts, acorn squash and some raw sugar snap peas. As well as a few blueberries. i tried giving her some peanut butter but she only had a little then got tired of it. aside from her weight loss and diarrhea she seems fine but i know animals have a tendency to hide things well.any tips?