Thread: Mom squirrel question

SailorMan Guest

Default Mom squirrel question

Hi,
    I have 6 small tree grey squirrels of 12 or 14 weeks in a tree behind my home. I do not see the mother, does the mother leave these little ones at this age?

I am in Canada winter coming.
    Thank you,

Default Re: Mom squirrel question

How do you know they’re 12-14 weeks old? If they are that age, mom will be getting them ready to venture out on their own for periods of time. You can be watchful to see if mom returns throughout the day or around dusk. Mom may be out looking for food.

You can also offer food for these guys, if they’re that old they might eat avocado (no skin or pit), coconut chunks, fresh corn chunks and maybe apple or cherries (no pit or stem). These are the foods my wilds will routinely eat.

3. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Mel1959 from:

cava (09-01-2018)

SailorMan Guest

Hi,
    I saved 3 baby squirrels 2 weeks ago. The mother had a car accident, she died. They had 5 to 6 weeks, I gave them to a wild animal shelter. These the way I learned to find their age.

I have not seen the mother for at least 5 days, I give the 2014 block I have left and they eat them. They stay in the tree and do not go to the ground. Very dangerous on the ground, because near a street corner.

My question is at what age does the mother leave her cubs?

Actually a mother squirrel will leave her babies anytime after 3 months so if the age is correct she might have left them. Last year I raised 6 hurricane orphans. To be honest with you I wondered how a mother squirrel could survive the abuse from SIX unruly toddler squirrels. Those teeth and claws are atrocious. Poor mama squirrel. If she has indeed left them, feeding them to help support them is a great idea. Is there any possibility of putting a nest box in your tree? It would give them great shelter for your dreadful winter. It would probably assure their survival until spring when they would be very capable of independent living.

Of course, where I'm at in FL, we aren't even thinking about Fall but where you are, Fall babies are at a definitely disadvantage when compared to spring babies. I would help them.

6. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to HRT4SQRLS:

island rehabber (09-02-2018), Mel1959 (09-01-2018)

I agree with the nest box. Chances are they will stick together through the winter and bed together and stay warm. They are old enough to survive but offering supplemental nutrition and keeping an eye on them is helpful.

8. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to cava:

island rehabber (09-02-2018), Mel1959 (09-01-2018)

SailorMan Guest

Hi,
    These what I thought, that they were old enough for what leaves them. The ones I saved two weeks ago, when I gave their milk, I noticed that it turns into little Wolverine or Werewolf, my forearms can prove it.
    Here the city forbids feeding squirrels, I will try to give them blocks 2014 in secret this winter. Because they do not seem to want to look for and hide food for the winter. They stay in the tree, they have a good nest for the winter. These old nest was the winter nest of the one who died two weeks ago, she had spent the last winter there.
    By the way sorry for my English, it is not my native.
    Thank you for your answers.

Your English is fine. Is that you in your Avatar pic?

SailorMan Guest

I look good, are you trying date me?

12. Serious fuzzy thank you's to SailorMan from:

island rehabber (09-02-2018)

.... Now you know that long distance relationships just don't work out.

I know about you sailor guys ... a squirrel lady in every port.

14. Serious fuzzy thank you's to HRT4SQRLS from:

Quote Originally Posted by HRT4SQRLS View Post
    .... Now you know that long distance relationships just don't work out.

I know about you sailor guys ... a squirrel lady in every port.
    LOL!

SailorMan Guest

Noo!!! Now we keep them on board for the long crossing, its most convenient.

Oh! How many block 2014, one squirrel need for a day.
    5% to 7% of is weight?

17. Serious fuzzy thank you's to SailorMan from:

island rehabber (09-18-2018)

When you say block 2014 are you referring to Harlan Teklad (Envigo) 2014? If so, they can have as many of them as they want. That is a staple rodent block. The Henrys blocks are limited to 2-3 per day because of the nutrients they contain and given with fresh veggies.

19. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Mel1959 from:

cava (09-01-2018)

SailorMan Guest

Hi,
    Yes, the Harlan Teklad (Envigo) 2014 block, it confuse me, because on there web site there feeding guide tell 5 gr of lab block per 100 gr of body weight.

Here the web link: https://www.chinchilla.ca/detail.php...et_-_33_lb_Bag

These amounts are referring to captive animals. Feeding captive animals too much leads to obesity and early demise.
    Free squirrels don't have those type of considerations.

I would give them a small amount in the morning and then remove the excess. You don't want them 100% dependent on you. They still need to forage. There are other problems associated with feeding too much. The blocks don't hold up well outside so it would be wasteful and you are likely to attract rats.

You could also give them nuts but even that can cause problems. You don't want to attract 'other' squirrels that will give your little ones competition.

22. Serious fuzzy thank you's to HRT4SQRLS from:

SailorMan Guest

Hi,
    This morning I gave them 2014 blocks and three big pieces of walnuts. One hours later, they had eaten the blocks and did not touch the walnut pieces. I picked up the walnut pieces not to attract other squirrels and they are hunted from their nest. There are five who are gray with white belly, one who is all black and one who is dark ashen, for a total of seven squirrel for now.

The tree where they are is really badly located, it is on a very busy street. I'm afraid of finding some who will be hit by cars. So far, I only found one two weeks ago.

Thank you everyone, for your time to answer me.
    Have a nice day.

24. Serious fuzzy thank you's to SailorMan from:

cava (09-02-2018)

SailorMan, I just want to welcome you to The Squirrel Board because you truly sound like "one of us". You care about these wild babies, and you're doing all the right things. Bienvenue!
    Island Rehabber
    NY State Licensed
    Wildlife Rehabilitator

"Ancora Imparo" (I am still learning)
    Michelangelo

If you can't afford the vet,
    You can't afford a pet.
    NEGLECT IS ABUSE.

"Better one day in the trees, than a lifetime in a cage."

'...and the greatest of these, is Love. '

SailorMan Guest

***UPDATE***

I move the story to this link: https://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/...96#post1274196

Mikeymomo1234 Guest

I found my dog with baby squirrel. Assumed it was dead but it was still breathing. I put him in a safe place and he laid quiet for a long time until I poured water on him. A bit later....I was rubbing his back and it went nuts squealing. Anyway....he seems to be recovered from my dog playing with it tho I dont know how. Now I would like to have his mom find him but not sure which tree he fell from. Any advice? Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by Mikeymomo1234 View Post
    I found my dog with baby squirrel. Assumed it was dead but it was still breathing. I put him in a safe place and he laid quiet for a long time until I poured water on him. A bit later....I was rubbing his back and it went nuts squealing. Anyway....he seems to be recovered from my dog playing with it tho I dont know how. Now I would like to have his mom find him but not sure which tree he fell from. Any advice? Thanks.
    Are you certain that he is able to move normally and survive in the wild?
    Island Rehabber
    NY State Licensed
    Wildlife Rehabilitator

"Ancora Imparo" (I am still learning)
    Michelangelo

If you can't afford the vet,
    You can't afford a pet.
    NEGLECT IS ABUSE.

"Better one day in the trees, than a lifetime in a cage."

'...and the greatest of these, is Love. '

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.