Thread: Ongoing diarrhea

Default Ongoing diarrhea

First I would like to thank all who helped me last night about J’s eyelid. I just started the cipro and am waiting to see a difference. But both PB & J have diarrhea sometimes their stools return to normal but most of the time it’s diarrhea especially after eating. What can I do?

Default Re: Ongoing diarrhea

Quote Originally Posted by Squirrelskeeper View Post
    First I would like to thank all who helped me last night about J’s eyelid. I just started the cipro and am waiting to see a difference. But both PB & J have diarrhea sometimes their stools return to normal but most of the time it’s diarrhea especially after eating. What can I do?

Formula is the most likely cause of the diarrhea. Almost every single puppy formula will result in diarrhea (and diarrhea causes dehydration).

Esbilac Puppy Formula (the powdered one, not the premixed liquid) is just about the only one widely available in the USA that squirrels will thrive on. It looks like this:

If you are using this and still have diarhea issues it may be from overfeeding, in which case the poo would be white and watery since the formula passes through without much digestion.

If you are not feeding Esbilac, please switch immediately for the sake of the squirrels!

Many times.. way too often... squirrels fed puppy formula other than Esbilac fail to thrive and actually starve to death despite being fed formula (because the formula is deficient for the needs of squirrels).

The Cipro is for infection from the wounds, especially if they came from a cat since cats carry bacteria that are terribly deadly to squirrels. A simple cat scratch can be lethal.

Keep that eye moist / lubricated while the eyelid heals!

3. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Spanky from:

Squirrelskeeper (08-30-2018)

Im using Esbilac and the diarrhea is yellow and sort of watery. They seem to be hungry every time I feed them

You have not provided a weight on these babies, you can not possibly know how much you
    should be feeding within the 5-7% if you do not have a weight to go by. For that including
    the proper dosage for meds one needs to know their weight!

Below is the proper formula they should be eating. If not that there's a reason for diarrhea.
    Improper formula will not supply the nutrition needed and could be reason for hunger.
    Diarrhea can also be caused by over feeding, hunger could be caused by under feeding.
    You need a scale and you need to know their weight to properly administer to these babies!

Name:  ScreenGrab-Esbilac-cansWeb - NEW.JPG
Views: 74
Size:  75.0 KB
    Step-N-Stone
    State Licensed
    Wildlife Master Rehabilitator

6. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to stepnstone:

cava (08-30-2018), Mel1959 (08-30-2018)

Yeah thanks I got the right milk now and they weigh 40g how much Cipro can I give to the one with the damaged eyelid? Thx

Did you check you private messages? (At the top of the screen, just to the right of your username there is a drop down that reads "notifications", when you click on that you should be able to select you inbox and read messages).

Someone recommended his weight to be 80 g. Should I just half the 0.02 ml someone suggested

Quote Originally Posted by Squirrelskeeper View Post
    Someone recommended his weight to be 80 g. Should I just half the 0.02 ml someone suggested
    Yes.