Thread: Acute respiratory distress in female juvenile

aridout Guest

Default Acute respiratory distress in female juvenile

I have a female juvenile (85 gm) that I picked up from another rehabilitator a few days ago and she began to show signs of respiratory distress almost immediately. Not sure if she aspirated some formula or brought a bug with her. I have been treating her with orbax initially and then as she worsened I have changed to injectable .25 mL baytril, twice per day. I am also doing sub Q fluids. She has seemed to improve a couple of times where she was able to drink some honey water with colloidal silver and garlic in it. That seemed to help a little bit but then a few hours later she would go downhill again. She seems to be the worst during the middle of the night. She improves quite a bit during the day. But this has been going on for several days and I really haven’t seen a sustained improvement. During the night, she is barely able to breathe and gasping for every breath. Tonight I set up a steamer with some eucalyptus in it and I am hoping that helps. Any suggestions would be welcome. I have rehabilitated close to 100 squirrels and I’ve never dealt with a respiratory illness that didn’t improve within 24 hours. This one really has me stumped.

Default Re: Acute respiratory distress in female juvenile

When a respiratory issue doesn't respond to the fluoroquinolones like Orbax (orbafloxacin) or Baytril I would consider adding Doxycycline. It will target the atypical causes of respiratory distress like Bordetella or Mycoplasma.

A nebulizer is also helpful. Even sterile saline nebulized brings relief.
    The stream treatment is good but I'm not sure about eucalyptus.

Are you using the injectable Baytril orally? Are you diluting it?

Welcome to TheSquirrelBoard

3. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to HRT4SQRLS:

Mel1959 (09-01-2018), stepnstone (09-01-2018)

aridout Guest

Thank you so much. I will check around tomorrow for the alternative antibiotic. And I will certainly try the saline. I am currently giving the injectable Baytril subcutaneously. The Orbax was an oral dose. But when she got worse, I was afraid to give it to her orally because I didn’t want her to aspirate it and get worse.

aridout Guest

I just checked on her and she is finally sleeping soundly and breathing through her nose. I think the eucalyptus and the steam are helping. I certainly hope so. It is wearing out both of us.

Happy to hear that. I hope she turns around.

The doxycycline would be good to keep on hand but unfortunately it's one that shouldn't be used after it expires. I usually buy a supply about once a year due to expiration.

Doesn’t the injectable Baytril still need to be diluted when injected? I have seen squirrels that have permanently lost hair at the injection site from not diluting.

Quote Originally Posted by Mel1959 View Post
    Doesn’t the injectable Baytril still need to be diluted when injected? I have seen squirrels that have permanently lost hair at the injection site from not diluting.
    Yes, it does. It can cause injection site necrosis and permanent hair loss in rodents.

9. Serious fuzzy thank you's to HRT4SQRLS from:

Mel1959 (09-01-2018)

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.