Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Swollen Jaw - Need a Vet

Default Re: Swollen Jaw - Need a Vet

Quote Originally Posted by TamiKakes View Post
    Oh no. I hope he comes around soon. I know how that feels. I have my family of neighborhood squirrels and I get so worried when I don't see some of them for days.
    He didn’t come again today. I went twice to check on them. I left nuts in their bowl tonight and set up a trail camera. I will check it tomorrow evening. If he’s not on it I will assume the worst.

I would not assume the worse, wild food is plentiful and some of their favorites are readily available.. acorns, figs, hickory nuts, etc. Also, my observation has been that females with juveniles venturing out of the nest get extremely territorial and the males usually stay away after a few run ins... there is plenty of of fall goodies available.

Quote Originally Posted by Spanky View Post
    I would not assume the worse, wild food is plentiful and some of their favorites are readily available.. acorns, figs, hickory nuts, etc. Also, my observation has been that females with juveniles venturing out of the nest get extremely territorial and the males usually stay away after a few run ins... there is plenty of of fall goodies available.
    I didn’t see him again today. My trail camera didn’t get anything. My female was around each time I went, but not him. There aren’t many other squirrels where they are and it isn’t a huge area either. He has always come to me every day. The only time he wouldn’t come was if it was stormy, rainy, or if I got there too late. There are so many predators of squirrels. I can’t stand to think about something slaughtering him.

I finally found the little tyrant the day before yesterday. He was hiding some nuts close to the spot where I feed him. The thing is, he acts like he can’t hear me. I walked over to him, crunching leaves and twigs with every step. He didn’t even pay any attention. I don’t know if it’s because I was yelling his name for 20 minutes and he knew it was me, or maybe he was too worried about hiding his nuts. Usually, with any sound, squirrels are on alert. They cock their head sideways, prick their ears, and figure out what’s going on.

After I made it to him I put my hand on the ground in front of him. He ran up my arm, sat on my shoulder and ate a nutball, then he nibbled on my fingers and rubbed all over me. I put him down and I had to run home and get a few more nuts. When I got back to him, same thing. He wouldn’t come to my call. I had to make my way to him. When I got to him, he ran right up my arm again.

I called to him yesterday and today. I’m sure I saw him in the near distance carrying a nut, but he never came to me.

Also, he’s a little puny.

Maybe he’s just worried about getting prepared for the winter. He doesn’t have time for me now. I just worry because his face was swollen on the one side for a few days. I hope it wasn’t something that affected his hearing.

Great news that you have seen your buddy...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12