Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Black Squirrel

Default Black Squirrel

I have a baby Black Squirrel. Our cat brought him to the house about a week ago unharmed. He has been eating the formula just fine until this morning and he refused it. He's about three weeks old. Did the pinch test for dehydration and it looks okay. He was sucking and eating just fine last night. No clicking in the chest either. Any ideas. I'm worried.

Default Re: Black Squirrel

What formula are you using?

Try heating the formula warmer than you have - warmer than you would think it would need to be. Some babies just want it warm.

Keep all formula powder in the refrigerator or freezer. The best way is to mix up enough formula for the day and refrigerate it. Before each feeding stir well and then take out enough for just the one feeding, and heat THAT, leaving the rest in the fridge. Discard any not eaten. Don't reheat unused formula.

I'm feeding him the Esbilac Puppy Replacer every three hours. He is still quite thin but today he is once again eating. I gave him the water, salt , suger...water...in place of the formula a couple of times today. He doesn't like it very much but took some. He moves around a lot while feeding and grips my hand with his which feel quite strong. I will warm the milk more. He is still pooping and peeing. Poop is kind of yellow and firm. Pees quite a lot and it is clear. Thank you for your reply. I think I will feel better when I get him to the point when his eyes open. By the pic I've seen I think he is about 3 weeks or so?

Every three hours is probably too often at this point. Stretch him out to 3.5, then 4 hours over the next day and see if his appetite improves.
    Island Rehabber
    NY State Licensed
    Wildlife Rehabilitator

"Ancora Imparo" (I am still learning)
    Michelangelo

If you can't afford the vet,
    You can't afford a pet.
    NEGLECT IS ABUSE.

"Better one day in the trees, than a lifetime in a cage."

'...and the greatest of these, is Love. '

5. Serious fuzzy thank you's to island rehabber from:

SquirrelDad (11-05-2018)

Just a reminder, if you want to add hydration, add additional hydration in between feedings but keep feeding on schedule. The only time we replace hydration and stop feeding is if baby is constipated/bloated and unable to move solids through the bowels or severe dehydration but usually mild dehydration can be corrected by adding hydration to your formula feeding routine. The upside is that you don't have to withhold nutrition while you correct the dehydration, especially if you have an already thin baby.

7. 3 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to cava:

island rehabber (08-27-2018), Mel1959 (08-27-2018), SquirrelDad (11-05-2018)

Okay. Will try every 4 tonight.

Baby hasn't pooped the last three feedings. Pee is still okay. I haven't changed anything besides the feeding times. Stimulating him as before also.

Did you stop giving between feeding extra hydration? If so, add water in between feedings and see if that helps things to move. I add a few drops of the formula to the water to get them to take it easier.

Is the belly soft and flat or large or firm? Do you think baby is constipated?

Belly is soft and flat. Did the pinch test to check his hydration and looks good. I had backed off on the water, only giving it twice a day. Will go back to giving it between each feeding. If he is constipated what can I do? Should I add more water to the formula? I am doing 1 powder to 2 water.

Just add hydration in between meals, don't dilute the formula. If you do, you'll be diluting the nutrition he is receiving. Keep an eye on his tummy and remember to pee him every time you give hydration too. Keep us posted.

Also, you're feeding based on weight? To be sure he's getting enough to make poops? They don't go every single time but you know your baby and his schedule so you know when things are off.

You can also try dipping him in warm water up to his armpits and gently massage his belly with downward strokes. Don’t let him get chilled and dry thoroughly.

A little mineral oil massaged around the rectum might also help.

Thanks for the reply. He is doing good today. Pooped this morning and afternoon. I didn't dilute the formula, just gave him water in between. I am feeding him according to weight. This site helped me figure that out early on. Stimulating him after each feeding and he is peeing fine. Still clear. Again....thanks for your input. Helped me a lot.

15. 4 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Ginger:

cava (08-30-2018), island rehabber (08-30-2018), Mel1959 (08-30-2018), SquirrelDad (11-05-2018)

Great news!
    Island Rehabber
    NY State Licensed
    Wildlife Rehabilitator

Michelangelo

You can't afford a pet.
    NEGLECT IS ABUSE.

Baby is doing great. What is the best block to start her on? And other foods.....

Quote Originally Posted by Ginger View Post
    Baby is doing great. What is the best block to start her on? And other foods.....
    I like to start them on the Teklad 2016 blocks as soon as their eyes open....at 8 weeks old, you can get her on HHB's: henry's Healthy Blocks, which are a SUPPLEMENT that you only feed twice per day (one block). They provide nearly all the vitamins, minerals and CALCIUM that she needs, so everything else is gravy. Once she is eating her blocks well, you can introduce one item from the Healthy Diet list at a time:

https://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/...-Pet-Squirrels
    Island Rehabber
    NY State Licensed
    Wildlife Rehabilitator

Michelangelo

You can't afford a pet.
    NEGLECT IS ABUSE.

19. Serious fuzzy thank you's to island rehabber from:

stepnstone (10-23-2018)

My baby black squirrel is about 10 weeks old and has diarrhea today. Took all the food away and gave blocks only since this morning. Drinks water from a water bottle in her cage. No problem there. She drank a little formula this evening but the diarrhea isn't any better. She seems to feel better now. I haven't changed her food but she doesn't really want anything but the blocks anyway. She is backing off the formula too. Only wants it once in a while now. She looks really good. Hair is think and has a nice shine. Not too fat or too thin. Very active until today. Any meds I can give her?

You can give her a little drop of Kaopectate to stop the diarrhea long enough for her body to re-hydrate itself. Diarrhea causes dehydration, and you don't want her to go down that slippery slope. Offer her as much fluid as she'll take right now -- even water with a drop of honey or applejuice will work. What did she have in her diet that was new that may have caused this?
    Island Rehabber
    NY State Licensed
    Wildlife Rehabilitator

Michelangelo

You can't afford a pet.
    NEGLECT IS ABUSE.

My baby got better. Visitors were feeding her before I could stop them. Gave her fresh corn. I think that's what did it. She was fine the next day eating only Henry's blocks. I have a bigger issue now. I'm so upset. Baby got out of her enclosure last night. I put her food on top of the box and she was there this morning at dawn eating it. Bounce out before I could get to the door. She was up in the trees (I live way out in the country) this morning but haven't seen her all day now. Will she come back or is she doomed? She knows her nest box but will she remember where it is if she travels a distance away. I so worried.

Is this baby about 11 weeks now? Is she kept outside?

Let us know where her enclosure is in relation to where she escaped, what's the setup?

What kind of visitors?
    Is her cage outside?
    Also, as it MAY be a moot point now, in the event she does come back, you stated she was eating ONLY Henry Blocks for period of time? They should only get no more than 2-3 a day. THey are very rich in vitamins. The henrys are meant as a supliment not main diet.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast