Thread: Potential Aspiration Pneumonia Threat

ewoundy Guest

Default Potential Aspiration Pneumonia Threat

Hi everyone!!
    We are caring for a 4 week eastern gray since approx 10 days old. He has been doing fantastic until last night when my husband tried feeding him with a bigger syringe. He aspirated a little and sneezed up some formula. We are monitoring him closely for signs of pneumonia. So far nothing but I know it can be a slow killer.
    I cannot get baytril from our vet as they don’t treat wildlife but we have access to doxy and can order fish amoxicillin. Are either one of those okay to use? I’m asking around for cipro but so far no luck. I can post later with his weight for dose help.

Thank you!!!

Default Re: Potential Aspiration Pneumonia Threat

Quote Originally Posted by ewoundy View Post
    Hi everyone!!
    We are caring for a 4 week eastern gray since approx 10 days old. He has been doing fantastic until last night when my husband tried feeding him with a bigger syringe. He aspirated a little and sneezed up some formula. We are monitoring him closely for signs of pneumonia. So far nothing but I know it can be a slow killer.
    I cannot get baytril from our vet as they don’t treat wildlife but we have access to doxy and can order fish amoxicillin. Are either one of those okay to use? I’m asking around for cipro but so far no luck. I can post later with his weight for dose help.

Thank you!!!
    Yes, please continue your search.. AP (Aspiration Pneumonia is a FAST killer, not slow). Cipro is a very common mediation for people to have and you need only a single table for a full course of squirrel treatment. Augementin is pretty common as well and is effective with AP.

Doxy can be used but please make sure it is not expired, unlike most meds Doxy becomes dangerous (even lethal) beyond it's expiration. Amoxil works, but as you know Cipro (or Baytril) are better.

If you could order Fish Flox, that is Cipro versus Fish Mox which is Amoxil.

ewoundy Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Spanky View Post
    Yes, please continue your search.. AP (Aspiration Pneumonia is a FAST killer, not slow). Cipro is a very common mediation for people to have and you need only a single table for a full course of squirrel treatment. Augementin is pretty common as well and is effective with AP.

Doxy can be used but please make sure it is not expired, unlike most meds Doxy becomes dangerous (even lethal) beyond it's expiration. Amoxil works, but as you know Cipro (or Baytril) are better.

If you could order Fish Flox, that is Cipro versus Fish Mox which is Amoxil.
    Thank you so much!!! My mother takes doxy for chronic Lyme so i know it’s at least not expired. I’ll order the fish flox instead to have on hand. If he does come down with pneumonia, when should I expect to see symptoms? He is currently being babysat while I work by my mother who also has experience raising baby squirrels and she says he’s eating and active.
    I’ll update his condition as we go.

Thank you so much!!! My mother takes doxy for chronic Lyme so i know it’s at least not expired. I’ll order the fish flox instead to have on hand. If he does come down with pneumonia, when should I expect to see symptoms? He is currently being babysat while I work by my mother who also has experience raising baby squirrels and she says he’s eating and active.
    I’ll update his condition as we go.

Eating and active is good! The signs of AP include loss of appetite, lethargy and the tell tale "clicking" when they breath. This is a constant click... sometimes you can hear a similar click right after they eat, but that one goes away.

To dose medications, the weight of the squirrel is needed (so you are prepared).

Feeding is also determined by weight...

ewoundy Guest

Eating and active is good! The signs of AP include loss of appetite, lethargy and the tell tale "clicking" when they breath. This is a constant click... sometimes you can hear a similar click right after they eat, but that one goes away.

To dose medications, the weight of the squirrel is needed (so you are prepared).

No clicking yet, the event happened 14 hours ago so hopefully we are in the clear! I ordered Fish Flox just in case and it should be here tomorrow. I’m picking a scale up on my way home later since no one can find the scale at home!

ewoundy Guest

We’re approaching 24 hours with no signs of clicking, do you think we’re in the clear? I weighed him and he’s 65g.

I’m not sure you’re in the clear yet. The other signs you are looking for are lethargy and loss of appetite. I have had baby’s snort formula out their nose and NOT develop AP, but continue to be on the watch for it.

ewoundy Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Mel1959 View Post
    I’m not sure you’re in the clear yet. The other signs you are looking for are lethargy and loss of appetite. I have had baby’s snort formula out their nose and NOT develop AP, but continue to be on the watch for it.
    Thank you so much for your help!! Can you send me the dosing instructions for cipro just in case I need them? He’s 65g as of yesterday afternoon

Can you give us the active ingredients of the med you ordered and the strength (125mg or 250mg or 500mg etc)?

Thank you so much for your help!! Can you send me the dosing instructions for cipro just in case I need them? He’s 65g as of yesterday afternoon
    See my wild squirrel adventures in the thread "Squirtle's yard!":
    https://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/...quirtle-s-Yard!

Loving dad to Sir Max, 2017-2018. There is no foot so small that it cannot leave an imprint on this world.

"Once in a while you get shown the light, In the strangest of places if you look at it right."
    -Grateful Dead

ewoundy Guest

Quote Originally Posted by TubeDriver View Post
    Can you give us the active ingredients of the med you ordered and the strength (125mg or 250mg or 500mg etc)?
    It is 250mg of ciprofloxacin

Check PM for dosing info.

It is 250mg of ciprofloxacin

Loving dad to Sir Max, 2017-2018. There is no foot so small that it cannot leave an imprint on this world.

"Once in a while you get shown the light, In the strangest of places if you look at it right."
    -Grateful Dead

ewoundy Guest

Quote Originally Posted by TubeDriver View Post
    Check PM for dosing info.
    I don't have anything in my inbox

Check again!

I don't have anything in my inbox

-Grateful Dead

14. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to TubeDriver:

Mel1959 (08-22-2018), Spanky (08-22-2018)

ewoundy Guest

Just thought I’d update: little Walter is doing great! So far no clicking, he’s trying desperately to use his shaky little legs even though he hasn’t opened his eyes yet (probably the funniest thing to watch him try to race around and stumble). He’s eating great and gets frustrated when I don’t feed him at the speed he wants, sorry little dude, you’re not going to aspirate because you want to eat faster! We’ve been trying some baby led eating, if he’s finished before he’s eaten enough I let him stop and come back shortly after to let him finish. I figure in the wild he’d be able to eat all day long in short spurts if that’s what he needed. His sister opened her eyes yesterday so we’re anxiously waiting for his to open!

16. Serious fuzzy thank you's to ewoundy from:

cava (08-23-2018)

Sophia346 - Moved/started to own thread:
    https://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/...ia-help-needed

Notified OP both PM and email -w/ help being offered
    Step-N-Stone
    State Licensed
    Wildlife Master Rehabilitator

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.