Results 1 to 15 of 15

Thread: Potential Aspiration Pneumonia Threat

  1. #1
    ewoundy Guest

    Default Potential Aspiration Pneumonia Threat

    Hi everyone!!
    We are caring for a 4 week eastern gray since approx 10 days old. He has been doing fantastic until last night when my husband tried feeding him with a bigger syringe. He aspirated a little and sneezed up some formula. We are monitoring him closely for signs of pneumonia. So far nothing but I know it can be a slow killer.
    I cannot get baytril from our vet as they donít treat wildlife but we have access to doxy and can order fish amoxicillin. Are either one of those okay to use? Iím asking around for cipro but so far no luck. I can post later with his weight for dose help.

    Thank you!!!

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Location
    SC (Madison)
    Posts
    7,301
    Thanked: 6894

    Default Re: Potential Aspiration Pneumonia Threat

    Quote Originally Posted by ewoundy View Post
    Hi everyone!!
    We are caring for a 4 week eastern gray since approx 10 days old. He has been doing fantastic until last night when my husband tried feeding him with a bigger syringe. He aspirated a little and sneezed up some formula. We are monitoring him closely for signs of pneumonia. So far nothing but I know it can be a slow killer.
    I cannot get baytril from our vet as they donít treat wildlife but we have access to doxy and can order fish amoxicillin. Are either one of those okay to use? Iím asking around for cipro but so far no luck. I can post later with his weight for dose help.

    Thank you!!!
    Yes, please continue your search.. AP (Aspiration Pneumonia is a FAST killer, not slow). Cipro is a very common mediation for people to have and you need only a single table for a full course of squirrel treatment. Augementin is pretty common as well and is effective with AP.

    Doxy can be used but please make sure it is not expired, unlike most meds Doxy becomes dangerous (even lethal) beyond it's expiration. Amoxil works, but as you know Cipro (or Baytril) are better.

    If you could order Fish Flox, that is Cipro versus Fish Mox which is Amoxil.

  3. #3
    ewoundy Guest

    Default Re: Potential Aspiration Pneumonia Threat

    Quote Originally Posted by Spanky View Post
    Yes, please continue your search.. AP (Aspiration Pneumonia is a FAST killer, not slow). Cipro is a very common mediation for people to have and you need only a single table for a full course of squirrel treatment. Augementin is pretty common as well and is effective with AP.

    Doxy can be used but please make sure it is not expired, unlike most meds Doxy becomes dangerous (even lethal) beyond it's expiration. Amoxil works, but as you know Cipro (or Baytril) are better.

    If you could order Fish Flox, that is Cipro versus Fish Mox which is Amoxil.
    Thank you so much!!! My mother takes doxy for chronic Lyme so i know itís at least not expired. Iíll order the fish flox instead to have on hand. If he does come down with pneumonia, when should I expect to see symptoms? He is currently being babysat while I work by my mother who also has experience raising baby squirrels and she says heís eating and active.
    Iíll update his condition as we go.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Location
    SC (Madison)
    Posts
    7,301
    Thanked: 6894

    Default Re: Potential Aspiration Pneumonia Threat

    Quote Originally Posted by ewoundy View Post
    Thank you so much!!! My mother takes doxy for chronic Lyme so i know itís at least not expired. Iíll order the fish flox instead to have on hand. If he does come down with pneumonia, when should I expect to see symptoms? He is currently being babysat while I work by my mother who also has experience raising baby squirrels and she says heís eating and active.
    Iíll update his condition as we go.

    Eating and active is good! The signs of AP include loss of appetite, lethargy and the tell tale "clicking" when they breath. This is a constant click... sometimes you can hear a similar click right after they eat, but that one goes away.

    To dose medications, the weight of the squirrel is needed (so you are prepared).

    Feeding is also determined by weight...


  5. #5
    ewoundy Guest

    Default Re: Potential Aspiration Pneumonia Threat

    Quote Originally Posted by Spanky View Post

    Eating and active is good! The signs of AP include loss of appetite, lethargy and the tell tale "clicking" when they breath. This is a constant click... sometimes you can hear a similar click right after they eat, but that one goes away.

    To dose medications, the weight of the squirrel is needed (so you are prepared).

    Feeding is also determined by weight...

    No clicking yet, the event happened 14 hours ago so hopefully we are in the clear! I ordered Fish Flox just in case and it should be here tomorrow. I’m picking a scale up on my way home later since no one can find the scale at home!

  6. #6
    ewoundy Guest

    Default Re: Potential Aspiration Pneumonia Threat

    Quote Originally Posted by Spanky View Post

    Eating and active is good! The signs of AP include loss of appetite, lethargy and the tell tale "clicking" when they breath. This is a constant click... sometimes you can hear a similar click right after they eat, but that one goes away.

    To dose medications, the weight of the squirrel is needed (so you are prepared).

    Feeding is also determined by weight...

    Weíre approaching 24 hours with no signs of clicking, do you think weíre in the clear? I weighed him and heís 65g.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Dec 2015
    Location
    East coast of Florida
    Posts
    9,835
    Thanked: 12759

    Default Re: Potential Aspiration Pneumonia Threat

    Iím not sure youíre in the clear yet. The other signs you are looking for are lethargy and loss of appetite. I have had babyís snort formula out their nose and NOT develop AP, but continue to be on the watch for it.

  8. #8
    ewoundy Guest

    Default Re: Potential Aspiration Pneumonia Threat

    Quote Originally Posted by Mel1959 View Post
    Iím not sure youíre in the clear yet. The other signs you are looking for are lethargy and loss of appetite. I have had babyís snort formula out their nose and NOT develop AP, but continue to be on the watch for it.
    Thank you so much for your help!! Can you send me the dosing instructions for cipro just in case I need them? Heís 65g as of yesterday afternoon

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    East Coast, USA!
    Posts
    20,186
    Thanked: 12695

    Default Re: Potential Aspiration Pneumonia Threat

    Can you give us the active ingredients of the med you ordered and the strength (125mg or 250mg or 500mg etc)?


    Quote Originally Posted by ewoundy View Post
    Thank you so much for your help!! Can you send me the dosing instructions for cipro just in case I need them? Heís 65g as of yesterday afternoon
    See my wild squirrel adventures in the thread "Squirtle's yard!":
    https://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/...quirtle-s-Yard!

    Loving dad to Sir Max, 2017-2018. There is no foot so small that it cannot leave an imprint on this world.

    "Once in a while you get shown the light, In the strangest of places if you look at it right."
    -Grateful Dead

  10. #10
    ewoundy Guest

    Default Re: Potential Aspiration Pneumonia Threat

    Quote Originally Posted by TubeDriver View Post
    Can you give us the active ingredients of the med you ordered and the strength (125mg or 250mg or 500mg etc)?
    It is 250mg of ciprofloxacin

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    East Coast, USA!
    Posts
    20,186
    Thanked: 12695

    Default Re: Potential Aspiration Pneumonia Threat

    Check PM for dosing info.


    Quote Originally Posted by ewoundy View Post
    It is 250mg of ciprofloxacin
    See my wild squirrel adventures in the thread "Squirtle's yard!":
    https://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/...quirtle-s-Yard!

    Loving dad to Sir Max, 2017-2018. There is no foot so small that it cannot leave an imprint on this world.

    "Once in a while you get shown the light, In the strangest of places if you look at it right."
    -Grateful Dead

  12. #12
    ewoundy Guest

    Default Re: Potential Aspiration Pneumonia Threat

    Quote Originally Posted by TubeDriver View Post
    Check PM for dosing info.
    I don't have anything in my inbox

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    East Coast, USA!
    Posts
    20,186
    Thanked: 12695

    Default Re: Potential Aspiration Pneumonia Threat

    Check again!

    Quote Originally Posted by ewoundy View Post
    I don't have anything in my inbox
    See my wild squirrel adventures in the thread "Squirtle's yard!":
    https://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/...quirtle-s-Yard!

    Loving dad to Sir Max, 2017-2018. There is no foot so small that it cannot leave an imprint on this world.

    "Once in a while you get shown the light, In the strangest of places if you look at it right."
    -Grateful Dead

  14. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to TubeDriver:

    Mel1959 (08-22-2018), Spanky (08-22-2018)

  15. #14
    ewoundy Guest

    Default Re: Potential Aspiration Pneumonia Threat

    Just thought Iíd update: little Walter is doing great! So far no clicking, heís trying desperately to use his shaky little legs even though he hasnít opened his eyes yet (probably the funniest thing to watch him try to race around and stumble). Heís eating great and gets frustrated when I donít feed him at the speed he wants, sorry little dude, youíre not going to aspirate because you want to eat faster! Weíve been trying some baby led eating, if heís finished before heís eaten enough I let him stop and come back shortly after to let him finish. I figure in the wild heíd be able to eat all day long in short spurts if thatís what he needed. His sister opened her eyes yesterday so weíre anxiously waiting for his to open!

  16. Serious fuzzy thank you's to ewoundy from:

    cava (08-23-2018)

  17. #15
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Planet Earth
    Posts
    17,915
    Thanked: 13301

    Default Re: Potential Aspiration Pneumonia Threat

    Sophia346 - Moved/started to own thread:
    https://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/...ia-help-needed

    Notified OP both PM and email -w/ help being offered
    Step-N-Stone
    State Licensed
    Wildlife Master Rehabilitator


Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •