Thread: Dosage Acyclovir , pox virus

Default Dosage Acyclovir , pox virus

I everyone ,

Its a long time i did'nt come back on the board .
    I dont know if i'm in the good section for my question ....
    I need your help for a dosage .
    I have a baby of 4 weeks old with suspected pox virus ( 1 finger swallow and a begining of ward on his tail ) . I already have a baby with early stage of pox and i had succes with Acyclovir 200mg/5ml .it was in 2011 .Today the vet gave me Acyclovir 20mg/ml and i'm totaly lost with the dosage .
    Somebody who knows this med can help me ?
    The baby is 105g
    I would like to give acyclovir 4 or 5 times a day . I need the dose per day and i will divide it .
    Thanks for your help
    I read the page where Jackie of tampa explain dosage of Acyclovir but i understand nothing ����
    flo
    NY state licenced
    Wildlife rehabilitator

Default Re: Dosage Acyclovir , pox virus

Bump! You might try reaching out to farmmom, I believe she has dosed acyclovir. I hope your little recovers.

Default Re: Dosage Acyclovir , pox virus

I will PM you the info I have on acyclovir.

I have sent the guidelines I was provided and used for Laverne (a success story).

Edit: I will add that there are some varying schools of thought about topical treatment of the lesions. Some recommended a very thin layer of silvadene others suggest anti-fungal foot powder like Mesenex if they start oozing.

When I had my Laverne they never started oozing other than one on her muzzle she manged to rip off somehow (well into her treatment) and she still has a scar there. The lesions did not seem to bother her, but others report they cause terrible itching so the squirrel scratches at them and opens them.

There have been some huge successes treating wilds with massive doses of acyclovir, and those did not have the option of topical treatments... so that was my guideline. If they were not oozing and bothering her, I was not going to mess with them topically and chance causing irritation (additional irritation?). But again, I was very fortunate not to have the oozing mess typically encountered.

As you know it takes a very long time for them to heal from Pox...

Last edited by Spanky; 08-18-2018 at 08:21 AM.

4. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Spanky from:

Nancy in New York (08-18-2018)