Thread: 3-4 week old squirrel aspiration protocol

jpruitt4 Guest

Default 3-4 week old squirrel aspiration protocol

Hello I have a 2-3 week old squirrel that I adopted yesterday after a friend found her in her yard and watched her for over 5 hours and the mother wouldnt take her back. She aspirated today during feeding and quit breathing. I know she aspirated because when I did CPR and I did compressions formula came out of her nose 3-4 times. She is breathing now and is not clicking but when i watch her respirations she has shallow quick respirations. She is still active moving her box around and is urinating and defecating with no issue. I have augmentin 500mg tablet i know i need to know how much she weighs before i know dosing but i dont have a gram scale and she isnt registering on a regular scale not even an oz. I want to act quickly and to give her the best chance to fight against aspiration pneumonia. I am open to any suggestions. This is my first squirrel I have had baby raccoons baby rabbits and a baby opossum before and Ive had success getting them healthy and releasing them back to their natural habitat.

Default Re: 3-4 week old squirrel aspiration protocol

Hi there. She needs to start antibiotics asap. Can you please go purchase a gram scale from Walmart or any store that sells kitchen scales. They are generally under $20. Then someone can send you a private message explaining how to turn that pill into a mixture and how much and how often to dose and to the use of probiotics.

Also, what are you feeding her with, how much, how often and what formula. Feeding is based on weight and you'll use that scale every other day as you adjust formula amounts.

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.