Good Evening,

My little guy, Chompers, hasn't been feeling well - today is day #2. Chompers will turn 8 this September - and has had a few mucous/struvite plugs occur over the past few months. The first time - I thought it was a "worm"...but was advised that this was not the case. I do notice that when he is struggling to urinate - it's normally after he's been sleeping for a while, and gets up to go. He will dance around a bit with his back legs, then "brace"...sometimes dance around a bit more...then he will finally urinate. I used to think it was just because I'd woken him up from his nap, to put him up for the night? Well - today is day #2 of Chompers not feeling well...he doesn't really want me to touch too much around his rear end...so I don't "scoop" him up in my hands like usual. It's kindof like his rear end is sore. He just wants me to rub his head, and along the left side of his body. He did seem to want to "play" little this afternoon - he made a few of his "snorty piggy sounds" (the little grunts he makes when he's happy)...and he played with his stuffed dinosaur for a bit. However, when it came to the part where he normally rolls onto his back with his toy - he would spring back up to attention, as if to say " - that hurts!" Then he would want 15-20 minutes of more petting.

He has had an issue with MBD in the past - several years ago.

His normal diet is: Sweet potatoes, yellow & zucchini squash, green beans, carrots, some broccoli, apples, cantaloupe - Henry's Picky Blocks, pumpkin seeds (no salt)
Snacks: Nuts in Shell - Walnuts, Pecans, Hazelnuts, Almonds

Last Week I let him try an Avacado....after seeing that squirrels love them. He didn't really care as much as the squirrel on Instagram - so we decided not to really give new foods.

If I go out of town, I put a "squirrel cake" in his cage - as back up. I have someone who comes and give him fresh food, lets him out to play, etc....but I always have put on in there "just in case". He doesn't really care enough about it anyway.

I gave him tums crushed up & mixed with baby food sweet potatoes last night (he took a little), and today I found my packet of calcium (Henry's Healthy Pets), and gave him a little (like a pinch) mixed with the baby food. He took a little - but wanted to play a bit, and be "petted".

Last night - I checked around to see if he had urinated....luckily, he did on my dresser. In the little puddle, was a longer "plug". I'll attach photos.

If someone can please advise - is there something I can give him to prevent these from forming? Does it sound like this could be the big reason he doesn't feel good? I tried to search for articles late last night, until I fell asleep.....the info was confusing. I do understand that this "could be" a kidney thing - from what I was able to find....so I'm thinking in terms of Kidney Crystals/stones - how that would be in a human. Am I on the right track? Any recommendations/Advie?

Thank you very much for any advise.

Also - I am in Northern Kentucky. I no not know of a vet to physically "see him".....I do, however, have access to a vet tech out of state who will send me meds, if needed.

Thanks again!

CarrianneName:  IMG_8291.jpg
Views: 21
Size:  101.0 KBName:  IMG_8287.jpg
Views: 21
Size:  76.4 KB