Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Mycoplasma arthritis??

Default Mycoplasma arthritis??

Is anyone here familiar with mycoplasma arthritis in squirrels? Can somebody tell me symptoms diagnosis and causes? My 3 week old appears to have some swollen joints. I've been speaking with other rehabbers trying to figure out what is going on with this poor guy and mycoplasma arthritis seems like a possibility but don't know much about?

Default Re: Mycoplasma arthritis??

Can you post up photos and describe the symptoms? I wonder if young squirrels would get the benefit of maternal antibodies for some reasonable period of time? Treatment with tetracycline and steroids might work? But there could be other reasons for swollen joints....
    See my wild squirrel adventures in the thread "Squirtle's yard!":
    https://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/...quirtle-s-Yard!

Loving dad to Sir Max, 2017-2018. There is no foot so small that it cannot leave an imprint on this world.

"Once in a while you get shown the light, In the strangest of places if you look at it right."
    -Grateful Dead

Is it just the one arm that you showed in the other post or are more locations swollen?

Frances, my first one, had swollen shoulder and elbow and turned her hand in when she bore weight on it. We determined it was damaged to the fall that caused me to get her (from a roof during a storm). It took a couple of months and she got pain management. I didn't pick up on the problem until she was mobile and felt absolutely terrible, but she recovered and was very active and agile and was released without problem.

Do you have access to a vet who could x-ray?

4. Serious fuzzy thank you's to cava from:

Diggie's Friend (08-15-2018)

Yes, i posted about this in another forum. I'm just so worried about him, now we noticed his knee on the same side is becoming swollen as well. I have had him for a week, would a prior injury just now show up like this? He turns his hand in too and kinda drags it along with him when he tries to walk... I feel like it is progressing very quickly and it really scary Another rehabber i spoke with thinks it might be mycoplasma arthritis and says there is no cure He is also doing a little sneeze once in a while which apparently is a symptom of mycoplasma arthritis. I hope it is just from a fall and can be cleared up.. Cava, thank you, this gives me hope! My vet was not in today but I left a message with her, hopefully she will have time to see him tomorrow. I will post more pics...

Name:  20180814_224956.jpg
Views: 110
Size:  88.6 KBName:  20180814_092907.jpg
Views: 108
Size:  67.7 KBName:  20180814_092851.jpg
Views: 109
Size:  82.4 KBName:  20180814_092835.jpg
Views: 108
Size:  97.4 KB

Also there are a few videos of Frances moving and her arm problems if it helps to compare, she was just opening her eyes, close to his age?

Again, as she grew up the "swelling" went away and she was just normal. She did miss a jump when she was six months old or so and required ibuprofen for a day but then was fine.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hCCy...ature=youtu.be

8. Serious fuzzy thank you's to cava from:

Mel1959 (08-15-2018)

Kiko,

A friend of mine had a baby that started swelling similar to what is going on with your baby. The swelling started in his face and then spread to his limbs. It spread quickly and she was able to get him to a vet who, after diagnostic tests confirmed necrotizing fasciitis. The meds he was put on were clavamox and clindamycin. Meds were given 7 days past resolution of symptoms.

Of course we don't know if this is the same as what is going on with your baby.
    redwuff
    State Licensed
    Master Wildlife Rehabilitator

Quote Originally Posted by cava View Post
    Also there are a few videos of Frances moving and her arm problems if it helps to compare, she was just opening her eyes, close to his age?

Again, as she grew up the "swelling" went away and she was just normal. She did miss a jump when she was six months old or so and required ibuprofen for a day but then was fine.

This looks very similar to what my baby is doing! Except mine is more swollen. Was this video taken after the swelling went down?

Quote Originally Posted by redwuff View Post
    Kiko,

A friend of mine had a baby that started swelling similar to what is going on with your baby. The swelling started in his face and then spread to his limbs. It spread quickly and she was able to get him to a vet who, after diagnostic tests confirmed necrotizing fasciitis. The meds he was put on were clavamox and clindamycin. Meds were given 7 days past resolution of symptoms.

Of course we don't know if this is the same as what is going on with your baby.
    Thank you! Yikes.. I googled necrotizing fasciitis and the pictures that came up were pretty horrifying.. did this other baby have any visible skin issues? Or just swelling?

12. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Shammie from:

redwuff (08-15-2018)

It was swelling under the skin like abscesses.
    redwuff
    State Licensed
    Master Wildlife Rehabilitator

Quote Originally Posted by redwuff View Post
    It was swelling under the skin like abscesses.
    necrotizing fasciitis*in people is very contagious and causes open wound bacterial infections.. the amputation of limbs is necessary to stop this infection from Spreading... is it different in squirrels?? Should I be separating him from the other babies? I will be getting meds for him tonight from another rehabber. Praying he will be ok.. I feel like the swelling has gotten worse

Cava, what did you treat this baby with?

The two possibilities here (NF or MP) really require different antibiotics. If you can get this one to a vet to get a culture done, that would be best.

Loving dad to Sir Max, 2017-2018. There is no foot so small that it cannot leave an imprint on this world.

"Once in a while you get shown the light, In the strangest of places if you look at it right."
    -Grateful Dead

Quote Originally Posted by TubeDriver View Post
    The two possibilities here (NF or MP) really require different antibiotics. If you can get this one to a vet to get a culture done, that would be best.
    Yes, I have been trying to reach my vet that I am suppose to be working with as a rehabber. This will be the first time I've needed her since I recently received my license. I've left messages for the receptionist yesterday and today telling her it was an emergency and she has still not gotten back to me. She was not in yesterday and today she has surgeries all day.. ugh.

I was going to go in and try to pull out fluids from the swelling areas to see if it is pus filled but if it's a swollen joint issue, I dont want to poke around at it and make it worse

I treated with ibuprofen to reduce inflammation and pain. Do you have the dosing info for infant ibuprofen or access to metacam?

You'll really don't know what abs to use unless you get a diagnosis but I think giving NSAIDS for pain and swelling would be ok, unless someone else thinks it's contraindicated.

I treated with ibuprofen to reduce inflammation and pain. Do you have the dosing info for infant ibuprofen or access to metacam?

You'll really don't know what abs to use unless you get a diagnosis but I think giving NSAIDS for pain and swelling would be ok, unless someone else thinks it's contraindicated.
    yes, I have Metacam. I will give him that tonight. I finally was able to reach my vet. I will be going there first thing in the morning.

ok.. i can't seem to figure out the dosing for Metacam. My book says .02 mg for 100g. How would I measure such a tiny dose? It's just like a tiny granule..

Is the Metacam in pill form? If so, what is the amount (ie 15mg pill for example). What is his weight? I can PM you accurate dosing directions.

Quote Originally Posted by Kiko View Post
    ok.. i can't seem to figure out the dosing for Metacam. My book says .02 mg for 100g. How would I measure such a tiny dose? It's just like a tiny granule..

-Grateful Dead

23. Serious fuzzy thank you's to TubeDriver from:

cava (08-16-2018)

Quote Originally Posted by TubeDriver View Post
    Is the Metacam in pill form? If so, what is the amount (ie 15mg pill for example). What is his weight? I can PM you accurate dosing directions.
    I have powder form. Another rehabber gave me a tiny bottle of it. He weighs 115g

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast