Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Mycoplasma arthritis??

Default Re: Mycoplasma arthritis??

so this sucks... just when I thought he was all compleatly healed up.. he is starting to develop another lump on his arm on the same spot, ugh! Don't know what to do for this poor boy

It sounds like all the infection may not have drained out. Did you treat with Clavamox?

Quote Originally Posted by Mel1959 View Post
    It sounds like all the infection may not have drained out. Did you treat with Clavamox?
    i made sure the infection was completely drained before it healed up. I treated him with Baytril that wasn't working well so then I treated with TMS and it completely healed up. I feel like it is starting all over again, makes me think maybe it is mycoplasma arthritis.

Quote Originally Posted by Kiko View Post
    i made sure the infection was completely drained before it healed up. I treated him with Baytril that wasn't working well so then I treated with TMS and it completely healed up. I feel like it is starting all over again, makes me think maybe it is mycoplasma arthritis.
    Baytril was the wrong med to begin with, TMS has a slow activity level.
    The link below w/ post #1 and #3 is very informative and will explain the difference and what meds are needed to successfully treat abscesses.

https://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/...S-IN-SQUIRRELS
    Step-N-Stone
    State Licensed
    Wildlife Master Rehabilitator

If it was just an abscessed, why would it completely heal up with no more visible wound? His fur is even growing back over the spot where the absess was. We had him on Bayril in the beginning because we thought it was something else going on with his joints. The lump is starting again like it was before, under the skin with no visible wounds. I feel like something else is going on with his joint that is causing the abcess.

That's actually very common. If the treatment isn't long enough or the antibiotic isn't optimal, the abscess will come back. Often a subpopulation of resistant or somewhat resistant organisms will persist and blow back up once the antibiotics are discontinued. There are also extenuating circumstances that will cause an abscess to come back. If there is a foreign body or bone/joint involvement an infection will come back. I doubt this is a foreign body. I know of a squirrel that was treated for literally months for a jaw/face infection. Every antibiotic was used including the CANNON antibiotics. They absolutely should have worked. They did work while being used but the infection came right back once discontinued. After months of treatment, while being surgically debrided a sliver of bone shot across the room. It was not seen on X-ray. With the bone sliver gone the wound healed beautifully in a few weeks after MONTHS of treatment.

If there is even slight bone or joint involvement a week of antibiotics definitely isn't long enough. It would take weeks of treatment. If this is below the skin it is unlikely to involve bone/joint unless of course it's over a joint.
    Try the Clindamycin. I REALLY don't think this has anything to do with Mycoplasma.

7. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to HRT4SQRLS:

stepnstone (09-20-2018), TubeDriver (09-20-2018)

Thank you for the advice! I have another rehaber in my area that keeps thinking its mycoplasma arthritis, I hope not :/ I will try more antibiotics. Should I treat with Clavamox first? What would be the dowsing for 330g ?

Quote Originally Posted by Kiko View Post
    Thank you for the advice! I have another rehaber in my area that keeps thinking its mycoplasma arthritis, I hope not :/ I will try more antibiotics. Should I treat with Clavamox first? What would be the dowsing for 330g ?
    ~ Requested dosing answered (through PM) in OP's other forum ~
    Step-N-Stone
    State Licensed
    Wildlife Master Rehabilitator

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234