Thread: 10 day old squirrel with swollen rectum and can't poop with out a lot of help

Margaret Guest

Default 10 day old squirrel with swollen rectum and can't poop with out a lot of help

Every two hours I have to massage him rectum in warm water to help him poop. I fed him extra water , given him some drops of a stool softener but his bottom goes right back to a big ball at the next feeding. This has been going on for 4 days.
    Please help

Default Re: 10 day old squirrel with swollen rectum and can't poop with out a lot of help

Hi Margaret
    to TheSquirrelBoard

What are you feeding the little guy? Do you have a weight?

Here is a link for baby squirrel care. It's very helpful. (6 pages long)
    https://www.henryspets.com/1-basic-setup/

3. Serious fuzzy thank you's to HRT4SQRLS from:

Spanky (08-12-2018)

Default Re: 10 day old squirrel with swollen rectum and can't poop with out a lot of help

Are you anywhere near Louisville (Jefferson County)?

Margaret, I hope you come back. We would love to help.

Margaret Guest

Quote Originally Posted by SophieSquirrel View Post
    Are you anywhere near Louisville (Jefferson County)?
    I am in Louisville,ky
    I use the fox valley starter formula for new babies to 4 weeks old.
    I have to gently squeeze his rectum to get the poop out. It is not hard poop, it just never comes out on its own , but it's always there and always so much of it.

I am looking up a post on Fox Valley. Is it 32/40?

I have been using Esbilac Puppy with Probiotics until the eyes open and then I go to Fox Valley 20/50

This may be the problem or improper mixing. https://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/...x-Valley-32-40

8. Serious fuzzy thank you's to SophieSquirrel from:

Mel1959 (08-13-2018)

Quote Originally Posted by Margaret View Post
    I am in Louisville,ky
    I use the fox valley starter formula for new babies to 4 weeks old.
    I have to gently squeeze his rectum to get the poop out. It is not hard poop, it just never comes out on its own , but it's always there and always so much of it.
    Fox Valley 32/40 is NOT recommended. You should get some powdered Esbilac puppy formula and get him off the Fox Valley 32/40 now. When his eyes open you can transition him to the Fox Valley 20/50. Or what many folks do is use a 50/50 mix of Esbilac and FV 20/50 when eyes are open.

10. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Mel1959 from:

HRT4SQRLS (08-13-2018)

Margaret Guest

Quote Originally Posted by SophieSquirrel View Post
    I am looking up a post on Fox Valley. Is it 32/40?

I have been using Esbilac Puppy with Probiotics until the eyes open and then I go to Fox Valley 20/50

This may be the problem or improper mixing. https://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/...x-Valley-32-40
    I will switch him over to esbilac puppy with probiotics today.
    Thank you so much for this great advice

12. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Margaret from:

HRT4SQRLS (08-13-2018)

Margaret Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Mel1959 View Post
    Fox Valley 32/40 is NOT recommended. You should get some powdered Esbilac puppy formula and get him off the Fox Valley 32/40 now. When his eyes open you can transition him to the Fox Valley 20/50. Or what many folks do is use a 50/50 mix of Esbilac and FV 20/50 when eyes are open.
    Thank you so much
    I am switching him over to esbilac today

14. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Margaret from:

HRT4SQRLS (08-13-2018)

There's a lot more to it than just "switching over". You have to do it GRADUALLY. mixing the two formulas and phasing out the old formula over several feedings. You will need to plan for having Fox Valley 20/50 for switch-over again when their eyes open. Try 1/2 FV 32/40 and 1/2 Esbilac for a while and see if the problem improves. 2:1 (2 pts water : 1pt formula). Use hot water to mix, shake well and let sit in the fridge overnight. Use a warming cup and feed the next morning. Serving too soon after mixing, using cool water to mix, not shaking enough, and not waiting long enough to absorb water will cause clumping and too many solids.

Here is one opinion:
    https://www.henryspets.com/3-formula-feeding/

This label is the only Esbilac you want to use. I have some and a warming cup if you want one and I also have a little Ultraboost. I am near Middletown on Shelbyville Rd working with a zoo vet.

Name:  esb2.jpeg
Views: 116
Size:  6.7 KB

Hi Margaret, wondering if your baby is still having problems moving stool out of his rectum. It could be formula or it could be hydration or it could be an issue with his body. Let us know how your sweet baby is doing
    redwuff
    State Licensed
    Master Wildlife Rehabilitator

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.