Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: JD Marx has VERY high Keytone Count --Oh Boy

Default Re: JD Marx has VERY high Keytone Count --Oh Boy

Okay, so .... tested JD at 6am this morn.... JD Keytones as high as they could register...

by 11:30am they are down to nothing and PH is completely Normal.

What ? ? ! ! ? ?

I understand the numbers can go up and down a bit, but really..........

Going to test this afternoon once I can get another pee sample.

Quote Originally Posted by Diggie's Friend View Post
    How do we know which trees here have that chemical in them or maybe most do?

They eat the bark and leaves off the branches we put in the play rooms all the time, but not sure about the composition of them.
    They love the peeled bark and the leaves of the almendra's and the Guanacaste and a few others we offer but still do not know what
    is in them. They just eat them.
    No acorns here .....
    I will read further on the site. See if I can glean anything else.
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by HRT4SQRLS View Post

Here is a TOTALLY crazy idea. Do you have any nuts (almonds, hazelnuts or pecans)?
    It's just an experiment if you want to try it. I'm just trying to think of a way to eliminate most of the dietary sugar for 24 hrs. You could him an HHB and a couple calcium dusted nuts only. Just for grins give him some leafy veggies. I doubt he will eat them. Give him a tree branch. NO fruit for 24 hrs. Test his urine after 24 hrs and see if the ketones go down at all. It's just a crazy idea. I'm the LAST person on earth to give diet advice because I'm losing my hair from lack of protein in the diet.

He won't starve in 24 hrs and at least it's worth a try.
    Our babies are not fond of "nuts' other than almendra's. JD will eat walnuts when he feels like it, and just a little of California Almonds. Like you said, they would gobble the mushroom and ignore the nuts if they had the choice. JD loves his greens so that will not be a problem to get him to eat.
    As I stated in a most recent post I tested him again at 11:30am and everything was normal and this was about an hour or two after he ate his huge breakfast.
    Going to test him again tonight.
    I will plan to do as you suggested depending on the evening test result...... not sure about the spiking. It is a juggling act here.

Started J.D. on his limited diet for the day....
    this morning his keytones were once again sky high.

I have been trying to read up on Keytones and came across this information:
    Ketones are molecules that your heart, brain and muscles can use for energy, instead of sugar or fat. Most of your cells are actually 25 percent more efficient when using ketones instead of sugar. Having ketones circulating in your blood can help prevent seizures in epileptics and could also help protect you against neurodegenerative disorders, such as Alzheimer's and Parkinson's diseases.

That's just great. Here we are trying our so hard to limit or stop his seizures in which keytones can help and now the
    keytones could harm him. Perfect. Just stinking perfect. I know too many keytones could cause coma and death so
    that is scary, but now I am very concerned that once we lower the keytones his seizures will increase.

Any one have any knowledge about this ? ? ?

He still has seizures, had a couple of big ones recently, just not as many as when he does not get the magnesium.

Was the high reading before he ate or after?

It's a total mystery to me. Do you think the high levels might be related to the magnesium?

Did you change anything in his diet during the last 24 hours?

Quote Originally Posted by RamaMama View Post
    Okay, so .... tested JD at 6am this morn.... JD Keytones as high as they could register...

by 11:30am they are down to nothing and PH is completely Normal.

What ? ? ! ! ? ?

I understand the numbers can go up and down a bit, but really..........

Going to test this afternoon once I can get another pee sample.
    See my wild squirrel adventures in the thread "Squirtle's yard!":
    https://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/...quirtle-s-Yard!

Loving dad to Sir Max, 2017-2018. There is no foot so small that it cannot leave an imprint on this world.

"Once in a while you get shown the light, In the strangest of places if you look at it right."
    -Grateful Dead

Was the high reading before he ate or after?

It's a total mystery to me. Do you think the high levels might be related to the magnesium?
    The high readings were periodical throughout the day.....the low one was taken in the
    afternoon... he will not eat usually in the afternoons except for some young coconut meat, almendra's, and walnuts.
    He refuses all other food except on occasion he will eat his Romaine/Bib lettuce in the afternoon's.
    I could not get any good pee to test last night. Bummer !

I read the info in the link Diggie'sFriend provided. I am now thinking it may very well BE the magnesium
    that could be the problem. Below is a quote from that same article:

Ketone Salts
    A ketone body is typically bound to sodium, calcium, magnesium or potassium. While it may not be as effective at raising ketone levels, it’s much easier on your digestive system.

I am also VERY confused and as you state, it is a mystery....... the magnesium helps with the seizures although I have to keep adjusting it a bit. One day twice a day, the next once, and on and on. Maybe that IS what is creating the excess keytones. I only have about 10 strips left, due to having tested the other babies several times through the days. They are all perfect, even Miss Potato Head Mancha.
    I want to add that I did a taste test on J.D.'s urine and it is like syrup.... so he is not processing sugars it is being passed out in his urine.
    Maybe there are two separate problems happening at the same time ? ? ?

Any one else have any suggestions? for J.D

I will keep J.D. Marx on the limited diet for today...... see what happens as this is his twice a day dose of the Mag. It may not matter as I suppose the Mag could be built up in his system. { ? }

Quote Originally Posted by TubeDriver View Post
    Did you change anything in his diet during the last 24 hours?
    No. But today he is getting no fruits nor the squash seeds, nor any seeds. Only HHB's, some leafy greens,
    almonds and walnuts. That's pretty much it. I think. Oh but he has been given Almendra's and branches
    and leaves to eat.
    HOPE that's okay.
    Some one tell me if it is not.

Is that almonds? A few should not hurt.

Quote Originally Posted by RamaMama View Post
    No. But today he is getting no fruits nor the squash seeds, nor any seeds. Only HHB's, some leafy greens,
    almonds and walnuts. That's pretty much it. I think. Oh but he has been given Almendra's and branches
    and leaves to eat.
    HOPE that's okay.
    Some one tell me if it is not.
    See my wild squirrel adventures in the thread "Squirtle's yard!":
    https://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/...quirtle-s-Yard!

Loving dad to Sir Max, 2017-2018. There is no foot so small that it cannot leave an imprint on this world.

"Once in a while you get shown the light, In the strangest of places if you look at it right."
    -Grateful Dead

More confusion going on here.... second quote from an article:

Ketones are not present in foods. Although ketones are a source of energy that almost all of your body cells can use, ketones are actually a byproduct of fat oxidation. In other words, when your body burns fat, it produces ketones that can be used for energy. The more fat your body burns, the more ketones are produced. Although foods do not have ketones, the foods you choose can help you promote ketosis -

So, does this mean that J.D.'s body is burning too much FAT and not using the glucose to fuel the body ?? so the sugar is being thrown out in his urine. Or is this some thing different than what is happening to JD ?

Also read that Magnesium can affect blood sugar. ? ? Just didn't say in what way.

IF.... IF I could get a urine sample to have tested for diabetes what would they look for? Just sugar? because we know he
    has, at least most of the time, high sugar levels in his urine.

If today's diet restrictions do nothing dose any one think maybe I should take JD OFF the Mag for a bit and see if the keytones go down? I have no way to test for the sugar in his urine other than the taste test which I do not mind. I do realize IF I take him off the Mag he could start having more or bigger seizures..... but need to know what is wrong with him. Thoughts on this ? ?

You mentioned you tested for ketones after a meal and there were none. That makes me think his body was using the sugar in the food he ate as fuel (v burning fat for fuel). Did you also mention he only eats in the morning? If so, may be his afternoon/evening fasting is causing ketones.

I suggest, before making any other changes, to get a clear picture of the effect of his diet. When he eats, what he eats, when you are testing and when you are getting ketones and in what relation to his eating habits. Test urine throughout the day for a few days.

If you make numerous changes at once (quitting Mag, removing fruit, changing diet) and something goes well or poorly you don't know what caused the reaction because you did more than one change.

12. Serious fuzzy thank you's to cava from:

Diggie's Friend (08-13-2018)

Quote Originally Posted by TubeDriver View Post
    Is that almonds? A few should not hurt.

Giving him both California almonds { only a little as he does not care for them too too much}
    and the local Almendra almonds.
    Is that bad????

Quote Originally Posted by cava View Post
    You mentioned you tested for ketones after a meal and there were none. That makes me think his body was using the sugar in the food he ate as fuel (v burning fat for fuel). Did you also mention he only eats in the morning? If so, may be his afternoon/evening fasting is causing ketones.

I suggest, before making any other changes, to get a clear picture of the effect of his diet. When he eats, what he eats, when you are testing and when you are getting ketones and in what relation to his eating habits. Test urine throughout the day for a few days.

If you make numerous changes at once (quitting Mag, removing fruit, changing diet) and something goes well or poorly you don't know what caused the reaction because you did more than one change.

I already started him on the very limited diet early this morning. { ? } Guess I will finish the day?? ? ? ?? Or should I not?
    Will not take him off the Mag right now. Will see what his afternoon and morning urine test shows and then take it from there I guess unless anyone thinks it is imperative that I change what I am doing right now. I only have a few of the test strips left so I have be be careful or I won't be able to test him at all.

He has only eaten some greens, bib lettuce, and a tiny bit of Romaine and culantro, maybe 1 HHB, some almendra bark and
    almendra nuts.

RamaMama, will you be getting more test strips?

Quote Originally Posted by cava View Post
    I 100% agree. Change one thing at a time. Don't stop the magnesium. Actually, if the Mg is controlling the seizures that is way more important than the ketones.
    An uncontrollable seizure can cause death.

The diet change was to get the sugar WAY down and see if it makes a difference.
    Is almendra a nut? I apparently missed that. I thought it was another fruit.

17. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to HRT4SQRLS:

cava (08-12-2018), Diggie's Friend (08-12-2018)

Have you checked his digs for a stash? Maybe he is eating when you don't know it.
    We live in a heaven created by our virtues --- Muktananda

I 100% agree. Change one thing at a time. Don't stop the magnesium. Actually, if the Mg is controlling the seizures that is way more important than the ketones.
    An uncontrollable seizure can cause death.

The diet change was to get the sugar WAY down and see if it makes a difference.
    Is almendra a nut? I apparently missed that. I thought it was another fruit.
    Almendra's are a nut........ but, the outside is covered with a layer of 'meat'. He has never like it
    or ate it, of course until today so that was bad. He hasn't had any more except those that have ALL
    the meat scraped off.

J.D. urine tested 12:00 pm

PH - extremely Alkaline, almost as high as it can get on the test strip.

Keytones - Moderate

Urine taste test - Sugar water, extremely sweet.

How long might it take for the sugar to leave his system?

I usually give JD his Mag between 5 and 7pm. Should I try giving it much earlier to see if there is a change?

I thought high Keytones could cause coma and death. ? ? ? The high content of sugar is as bad or worse ? ? ?

Quote Originally Posted by JLM27 View Post
    Have you checked his digs for a stash? Maybe he is eating when you don't know it.
    He does not have a stash, but that was a good idea.
    He is scarfing all his greens.

HOW MUCH GREENS CAN I GIVE JD IN ONE DAY ? ? ? ?

Other than the walnuts he isn't eating anything. He does not like HHB's, never has.
    only Boo Balls...... but they have a lot of "STUFF" in them.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast