Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: JD Marx has VERY high Keytone Count --Oh Boy

Default JD Marx has VERY high Keytone Count --Oh Boy

We noticed that the urine from J.D. Marx was "oily". Greasy to the touch. We googled and were told it can be a symptom of high Keytones. We have test strips and his urine produced almost the darkest result color..LARGE amount of keytones.
    I think diet is a main reason and we will try to reduce some of the "sugars" in his diet. He eats the same as what the entire CREW eats daily.
    His daily Coconut water serving is already less than the others.
    J.D. is prone to seizures and since he was a baby...he has been on a Magnesium dosage twice a day to control them. Recently we noticed his urine dried leaving a powdery ring at the edges so we reduce the Magnesium -just a little. That helped with the powder effect.
    NOW---we have to deal with high keytones.....

Name:  keytones test strips 1319x1547.jpg
Views: 122
Size:  84.6 KBName:  keytones JD Aug 10 2130x1610.jpg
Views: 119
Size:  76.1 KB

Default Re: JD Marx has VERY high Keytone Count --Oh Boy

FYI
    We urine tested the CREW..
    The other three tested normal....

Any other symptoms noted recently? How is his weight?
    See my wild squirrel adventures in the thread "Squirtle's yard!":
    https://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/...quirtle-s-Yard!

Loving dad to Sir Max, 2017-2018. There is no foot so small that it cannot leave an imprint on this world.

"Once in a while you get shown the light, In the strangest of places if you look at it right."
    -Grateful Dead

4. Serious fuzzy thank you's to TubeDriver from:

Diggie's Friend (08-11-2018)

Do you think he might have diabetes?
    We live in a heaven created by our virtues --- Muktananda

Do you have a glucose test strip?

You need to push fluids. If I remember correctly JD is a handful. I'm not sure how you would do that. Ketones can be associated with dehydration secondary to diabetes. Fasting also causes high ketones.

Quote Originally Posted by HRT4SQRLS View Post
    Do you have a glucose test strip?
    No-the ones we had were exposed to moisture--no good anymore.

You need to push fluids. If I remember correctly JD is a handful. I'm not sure how you would do that. Ketones can be associated with dehydration secondary to diabetes. Fasting also causes high ketones.
    J.D. has been drinking a lot--lately...more that the others in our Crew.

Drinking a lot is a definite sign of diabetes.

9. Serious fuzzy thank you's to HRT4SQRLS from:

Diggie's Friend (08-11-2018)

Quote Originally Posted by JLM27 View Post
    Do you think he might have diabetes?
    I'm not sure..............

Quote Originally Posted by TubeDriver View Post
    Any other symptoms noted recently? How is his weight?
    He appears to maintain his weight.... I can't weigh that little (psycho) boy.

Is he the only one of the crew that is like 'crazy'?

I though to ask for diabetes effects the brain also.

Of course some squirrels just don't well accept human handling.

Drinking a lot is a definite sign of diabetes.
    Yeah--I thought that was a symptom...Little whirl-wind has his share of issues....

Quote Originally Posted by Diggie's Friend View Post

Of course some squirrels just don't well accept human handling
    Yes--J.D. can attack either one of us--at any time--with out provocation...(Surprise) Ya JUST NEVER KNOW when he will go from calm to CRAZY.
    Rama Rota is always aggressive towards me and is totally loving with Rama Mama.
    So I just don't interact. No surprises...

__________________________________________________ _
    We still LOVE him 100%...we're just cautious ( that means 3 shirts and a sweatshirt--to mitigate any arm bites). However --even with that--JD did get Rama mama last week on the wrist. DEEP and Bloody.

He drinks so much I do not know if forcing more would help much....... plus I would never be able to hold him like would be
    necessary. YIKES ! ! BUT, he loves ICE water from my cup, so I will try giving ice water {hope that's ok } to him in a syringe
    through the day.....
    I have been working with J.D. for many months now and although I still have to be SUPER careful {as he can turn aggressive
    in a instant } he likes to be out with me and even wants to play. I just have to put on many heavy shirts and pay close attention to his moods.

I have noticed his ' excessive drinking' for some time..... I knew there was a possibility that he could be diabetic as he drinks so much more than the others but, ... I did not want to accept that possibility but kept watching him. Then I saw the oily pee not knowing which one did it and I could not remember what causes it so looked it up online. Once I read about the keytones and diabetes I started testing them all. We had the strips because Seis was diabetic. I suspected Mancha and or J.D. J.D. due to drinking so much water, and Mancha because she is somehow "not quite right" and is 'shaped' and acts a bit like Seis. Somethings not right but I do not know what it is. { All CR squirrels are long in body, all of ours have always been as such
    except Seis who had health issues.

Back to JD.... his weight as of June 15, 2018 was 699 grams down from 723 in April of 2017. He stays pretty much the same....
    big but not fat. I tested his last pee of the evening last night and his first of this morning.... both were identical to the pictures Stosh posted.

JD will ONLY eat in the morning hours...... refuses pretty much everything except a few tidbits and almendras in the afternoons.
    He sometimes gets coconut meat in the mornings or afternoons or both....... coconut meat creates natural Keytones {BUMMER} and some studies show it helps with neurological diseases which would be good for him { a bunch of other good things too }.... but between the keytones and the sugar content. big bummer Wilds eat coconut meat and drink the water all the time here, every day pretty much, as it is a huge part of their diet and during the dry season saves their lives.

HRT4SQURLS I finally noticed that when JD is not feeling good he has attacked me. He could attack other times as well I supposed but..... I learned this one day when he seemed out of sorts in his cage, but he had not been out at all the day before and I thought maybe he was just hyper from being cooped up. I let him out and although I could 'see/feel' that he was not feeling quite right, tried to have a normal out time with him and play time. In a flash I could see the change come over him and bamb, he grabbed me and began to bite. I got hold of him and it was only one deep puncture and back into his cage. Within a minute he had a pretty big seizure......... poor little guy.

I gave him a quarter of a piece of HHB this morning hoping he would eat it, he did some. I wish he would eat them more. I will keep trying. Just wanted to update and answer your question since I deal with him one on one a lot more than Stosh.

__________________________________________________ ________________________________________

Since we are talking squirrel health and Mancha was brought up, we are having a problem getting her to readily 'chew' on almendra's or coconut, which she also does not or will not eat. It should be her 'natural instinct' to eat the almendra meat, coconut meat and to chew on both.......
    even Luna and Rama who do not have all their teeth still have the desire and try.
    ? ? ?
    I told Stosh we need to look at Mancha's mouth/teeth. It is not normal not to scritch like crazy.

16. Serious fuzzy thank you's to RamaMama from:

TubeDriver (08-12-2018)

Of course some squirrels just don't well accept human handling.
    JD is the only one that will "attack" like he wants to kill and that only
    on occasion. But I have to be careful all the time. .

OK........ so now I am really confused. I have done more reading about the young coconuts meat and water and .... this is from
    One article...

Research has shown that coconut water can lower blood sugar levels and improve other health markers in diabetic animals (8, 9, 10).

In one study, diabetic rats treated with coconut water maintained better blood sugar levels than other diabetic rats (9).

The same study also found that the rats had lower levels of hemoglobin A1c, a measure of long-term blood sugar control (9).

Another study found that providing the water to rats with diabetes led to improvements in blood sugar levels and reductions in markers of oxidative stress, including malondialdehyde (MDA) (10).

Sooooo, would the coconut be good for JD or not good? ?

March 4th 2018 JD's Keytones were tested and he had barely a trace.

His PH level was perfectly balanced.

So, some time between March and the present something changed even tho his diet is always constant......
    the changes come as various items come into season....... hmmmm. The one fruit I have been giving them
    just recently is Petaya, the red dragon eggs as I call them grown from cacti plants here. Not really super sweet but....
    He only gets it in the morning, of course, since that is when he eats most, BUT, I am going to cut that out from today
    and test him several times a day for a week or so.
    Does any one think this a good thing or am I just grasping at straws? ? ?

Frankly, I can not recall WHEN he started or HOW LONG he has been drinking a lot of water. During the dry
    season we all drink a lot more. So HOT and dry !

Thoughts on this and previous posts ?
    His super high Keytones could kill him so I am quite DISTRESSED ! ! !

I suppose my hands will break out again again due to the stress and worry. Bummer. They were just starting
    to heal from the distress of losing Dude and Seis back to back.

-

20. Serious fuzzy thank you's to RamaMama from:

TubeDriver (08-12-2018)

Poor Rosie, this has been a tough year for you guys.

I wish I had an answer for this problem but unfortunately I don't. I think it's fair to assume that JD probably does have diabetes although we have no proof. I have no idea how you would lower the sugar in the diet when their diet is primarily fruit in the wild. Unfortunately we go back to that dilemma that always arises in that fruit might be what they eat in nature but we are very aware of their shortened life expectancy in nature. We can't duplicate the natural diet. In addition to fruit, they also eat bark, leaf buds, lichens, mushrooms, root bulbs, bugs and other things that they dig up.
    I remember offering Susie a nut once. She was on a tree. We walked right past the nut and went to the ground. She scratched in the leaves and dug up a quarter sized mushroom and ate it. I was totally surprised by that.

Here is a TOTALLY crazy idea. Do you have any nuts (almonds, hazelnuts or pecans)?
    It's just an experiment if you want to try it. I'm just trying to think of a way to eliminate most of the dietary sugar for 24 hrs. You could him an HHB and a couple calcium dusted nuts only. Just for grins give him some leafy veggies. I doubt he will eat them. Give him a tree branch. NO fruit for 24 hrs. Test his urine after 24 hrs and see if the ketones go down at all. It's just a crazy idea. I'm the LAST person on earth to give diet advice because I'm losing my hair from lack of protein in the diet.

He won't starve in 24 hrs and at least it's worth a try.

23. 5 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to HRT4SQRLS:

cava (08-11-2018), Diggie's Friend (08-12-2018), Mel1959 (08-12-2018), RamaMama (08-11-2018), TubeDriver (08-12-2018)

I was hoping you would come to Rosie's thread Diggie. Diet is certainly not my area.

25. Serious fuzzy thank you's to HRT4SQRLS from:

Diggie's Friend (08-12-2018)

I found this also, it is about good ketones in fruit that aren't related to Ketoacidosis. It may be the fruit you fed raise this form, and if so there would be no negative health issues on that account. As far as another, that I couldn't guess to say.

https://www.perfectketo.com/raspberr...-with-ketosis/

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast