Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Pinkie and formula help

Default Pinkie and formula help

A friend gave me a pinkie squirrel 8 days ago. I guessing she is about 10-14 days old. She is eating good and going to the bathroom but she seems to dehydrate easily. I’ve been giving her pedialyte every 3rd feeding instead of formula but she still seems to dehydrate. Her skin is dry. I have taken her off the formula for about 6-8 hours a couple of times and she comes back (skin normal clammy pink color). I’ve tried to mix her formula 3/1 but her skin is dry again. Just looking for some recommendations im feeding puppy esbilac with probiotics. Thanks

Default Re: Pinkie and formula help

Pedialyte should only be used for about 24 hrs. Try switching to plain warm water with a little honey for flavor. Keep her feedings on schedule and add the water BETWEEN feedings for a 24 hour period and see how she looks. Don’t dilute the formula with extra water because that also dilutes the nutrients she gets. Some babies need extra hydration periodically.

Just to confirm, there’s no diarrhea, correct?

3. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Mel1959 from:

ClemC5 (08-08-2018)

Correct. No diarrhea.

5. Serious fuzzy thank you's to albright123 from:

Mel1959 (08-08-2018)

Milo's Mom is offline Permitted Pennsylvania Wildlife Rehabilitator

If it's her skin that is dry, let's take a look at the type of container you have her in. Also, are you providing a source of extra humidity in the container?

Top-quality custom cage gear, accessories, blankets, & toys.
    Boutique items are fun, unique, and anything but ordinary.

TSB thread: Auntie MM's Custom Boutique Website: https://auntiemmscb.square.site/ Facebook: Auntie MM's Facebook Page

She is in a clear plastic tote. I haven’t put the lid on it yet since she is small and can’t climb out currently. I have a fleece blanket inside with a heating pad under one end of the container.

Is the Esbilac your feeding the powered as below?

Name:  i-fbcDH6c-S.jpg
Views: 72
Size:  65.8 KB
    Step-N-Stone
    State Licensed
    Wildlife Master Rehabilitator

Yes. I’ve been mixing in a little heavy whipping cream with it as well.

Quote Originally Posted by albright123 View Post
    Yes. I’ve been mixing in a little heavy whipping cream with it as well.

Personal opinion the cream is just giving her young body more to have to process,
    I'd cut out the cream at least until she's older and processing her formula better.
    Step-N-Stone
    State Licensed
    Wildlife Master Rehabilitator

I ageee with stepnstone -- the cream is often too much for pinkie tummies.
    Island Rehabber
    NY State Licensed
    Wildlife Rehabilitator

"Ancora Imparo" (I am still learning)
    Michelangelo

If you can't afford the vet,
    You can't afford a pet.
    NEGLECT IS ABUSE.

"Better one day in the trees, than a lifetime in a cage."

'...and the greatest of these, is Love. '

12. Serious fuzzy thank you's to island rehabber from:

stepnstone (08-08-2018)

Ok thanks. I’ll take that out.

Ok. I’ve changed the formula and stopped with the in between pedialyte feedings and started giving water. She hasn’t pooped in 16 hours Her belly isn’t hard. She’s very wiggly and now isn’t peeing. Any suggestions? She acts like she is hungry but I haven my given her any formula since 4 am because she hasn’t pooped.

This is a long time for a pinky to go without calories/sugar. Are you able to see a milk line (milk in the stomach) and is it moving/empty? Tell us about your stimulation (what do you use, how often, when and for how long.)

Are you hydrating her every hour with water? Water will help the bowel soften stool and make easier to go. Also, she should be urinating and stimulated to urinate every time you give water.

Can you post a photo? We can help you look at the tummy and milk line.

This is a useful link with pages...https://www.henryspets.com/baby-squirrel-care/

Formula should be mixed hours before use and never reheated and reused. These practices will decrease constipation risk.

Name:  1D18221B-9860-4120-BC42-60D6722735AC.jpg
Views: 50
Size:  58.6 KBI have been mixing formula the night before and keeping it in the fridge just putting a syringe in a cup of hot water to warm before I feed her. She has peed twice in the last hour but it is very yellow on the cotton pad. I’m trying to post a picture of her.

Ok, she needs to be given water every hour. You can rub a tiny bit of molasses/honey/karo syrup on the lips every few hours to avoid drop in blood sugar since she hasn't fed since 2 am, over 12 hours. She looks dehydrated to me and with a too large tummy. Can you post a photo of her from the front and stretched so we can see if we can "see through" her abdominal skin and look for her milk line.

Here is the protocol given by a member who has had constipated/bloated babies. The trick for me seemed to be getting in as much water, as quickly as possible, once you see and feel the hardness in the belly. Not sugar water or Pedilyte, but plain water. I did this every hour (giving about .2-.3 ml) and ensure you stimulate after each, for 2 reasons.
    1. You have to get that water out of the bladder, and it will burst if you don't.
    2. You want that water to start working on the crud in the belly.
    After 8-10 hours, you should start seeing some movement out of the bowel (they will continue to poop, but you will start to see it more watery, which is what you want). At that time, start introducing diluted formula at the ratio of 25% Esbilac, 75% water. Feed this for the first half day. The second half day, I bumped up the ration to 50/50. I fed this for a day and then went to 75% Esbilac, 25% water and introduced full food the next day (and the blockage was gone!). So far, I am at 100% success rate. One note though. I check my pinkies after every feeding, so see if their bellies are hard or squishy. I would suggest everyone get in the habit of checking them after every feeding as habit and you can't go wrong in catching them before they bloat up. Once they take on that angry red color on their bellies (this is when their system goes septic), they are gone and can't be saved, so the trick is to catch them before this happens (hence, getting in the habit to see if their tummies are hard or not).

Also, give infant gas x (simethacone) to reduce the amount of gas in the gut. It decreases pain and may help baby push a bit. Give 0.1 ml. You can get this at a pharmacy.

Constipated babies can't eat therefore this is an emergency that will require you to stay up all night and get this baby hydrated. The water should be warm and you may have to give drop by drop. Shoot for 5% of baby's weight every hour and remember to stimulate to pee!

You can also put baby in a bowl of warm water, up to the armpits and gently stroke belly downward. Be sure to keep her warm during and after and stimulate by petting or simulating grooming, moving legs around, etc might also help promote peristalsis (gut moving) and poops.

I have started doing all of this. And I gave her a drop of Kari about 10 mins ago. I did find out my husband did feed her formula this morning about 8:30. We have been taking turns since we work opposite shifts. I think she looks dehydrated too. That’s what started my concern. She has peed a couple of times but still no bowel movement. If there is a milk line it is faint. I’ll try to get another picture but she doesn’t like to stretch out

19. Serious fuzzy thank you's to albright123 from:

cava (08-09-2018)

Sounds like you're doing the right things already. Gas x can be a big help. I have a growing up squirrel now who required so many interventions due to constipation when she was little. It required lots of sleepless nights. Sylvia is the thread if you're interested but eventually I realized she had motility issues and had to offer enemas and meds.

Many babies only get constipated once and do fine after that. Hopefully that's what your case will be. Stay on top of it and we're here if you need us.

Name:  A7FB61B5-D966-4F18-9972-57E29954A1A8.jpg
Views: 49
Size:  50.2 KBthis is the best I could get in of her belly. She doesn’t want to stretch out.

It's hard to see anything. Keep up the Duckman's protocol and keep us posted in between. Best wishes to you tonight!

Just got a little poop. It was small but it was something.

24. Serious fuzzy thank you's to albright123 from:

cava (08-09-2018)

Great job!

If it were me, I'd keep going for a few more hours to see if you can get that belly down before starting the diluted formula suggested in the protocol. If she becomes constipated again, back off and hydrate! The goal is mashable poops, not hard nuggets.

Here's a pic of one of my babies and her milk line. Notice the white under the skin, it's milk in the stomach. It should be gone before the next feeding and from now on, check that it's empty before feeding. This will give you a chance to catch things very early.

I posted this photo in my original thread because this baby had a small milk line and I wasn't sure if it was ok to feed yet. It's more noticeable right after feeding, and bigger. (It's the whitish band across the abdomen.)

Name:  DSCN3243_LI.jpg
Views: 48
Size:  66.7 KB

26. Serious fuzzy thank you's to cava from:

Mel1959 (08-09-2018)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast