Thread: 4 1/2 month old American red squirrel release question

Default 4 1/2 month old American red squirrel release question

A few weeks ago I started a slow-release with my single American red Squirrel. She is my first squirrel I have raised, so I have many questions since I just received my rehab license and will be raising many more. The problem is she's a little too friendly and comes back everyday although she has seemed to be stashing her nuts somewhere else and sometimes sleeps somewhere else. There is another red squirrel that has been visiting her since she has been in the outdoor release cage. Now she is starting to be territorial and every time the other squirrel comes around she does her little territorial chirp dance. My question is when should I stop feeding her? I have moved her feedings to outside of the cage and have been limiting what treats I put out. I have been keeping the door open though to try to ween her off of the cage (she still likes to sleep in it sometimes).I just received a 1-2 week old gray squirrel and a 4 weeks old grey squirrel. My concern is as they get older they will have to go out to the release cage eventually and I don't want my little red to have a problem with that. How do I make this transition properly? Am I supposed to totally stop feeding my little red? I want her to still come around to visit especially since she is my first one and I will miss her very much if I don't ever see her around anymore I know Reds and Greys don't mix well. Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

2. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Shammie from:

SophieSquirrel (08-08-2018)

Default Re: 4 1/2 month old American red squirrel release question

How long was the red in the release cage? If she’s only 4 1/2 months old she’s just barely older than the recommended release age. I think the older the better for release. I’m not sure if reds mature faster than grays or not, hopefully someone who’s raised one will chime in.

If you just took in a 2 week old and a 4 week old then you have several months before you will need the release cage for them. I don’t put my guys out in the release cage till 14+ weeks old. And then I let them be in the release cage anywhere from 2-4 weeks. Because I have a very large release cage I have actually let them be in there for longer than 4 weeks.

Because I wanted my releases to stay around what I found that has worked well for me is to provide two wooden nest boxes inside the release cage and let them get used to them and get their smell on them. Then when I release I move one of the boxes up into a nearby tree. This way they have an automatic home in the trees and also a safe box to sleep in if they choose to return to the RC at night. It’s very common for new releases to return to the release cage to sleep for awhile, some longer than others. I wouldn’t boot her out and I’d definitely continue to feed her by placing food in the release cage. Some need more support than others. IMO she’s still pretty young.

4. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Mel1959:

Diggie's Friend (08-16-2018), SophieSquirrel (08-08-2018)

Quote Originally Posted by Mel1959 View Post
    How long was the red in the release cage? If she’s only 4 1/2 months old she’s just barely older than the recommended release age. I think the older the better for release. I’m not sure if reds mature faster than grays or not, hopefully someone who’s raised one will chime in.

If you just took in a 2 week old and a 4 week old then you have several months before you will need the release cage for them. I don’t put my guys out in the release cage till 14+ weeks old. And then I let them be in the release cage anywhere from 2-4 weeks. Because I have a very large release cage I have actually let them be in there for longer than 4 weeks.

Because I wanted my releases to stay around what I found that has worked well for me is to provide two wooden nest boxes inside the release cage and let them get used to them and get their smell on them. Then when I release I move one of the boxes up into a nearby tree. This way they have an automatic home in the trees and also a safe box to sleep in if they choose to return to the RC at night. It’s very common for new releases to return to the release cage to sleep for awhile, some longer than others. I wouldn’t boot her out and I’d definitely continue to feed her by placing food in the release cage. Some need more support than others. IMO she’s still pretty young.
    Reds definatly mature quicker then greys. She has been in the RC for about 7 weeks, and I opened the release portal 3 weeks ago.. she was definitely ready. I am planning on putting her box out in a tree, just haven't done it yet but she is sleeping somewhere else half the time already. When she is in the cage she actually prefers to sleep in her hammock or her hanging basket thing. I do have a large release cage as well 8ft tall x 6ft '6ft.

6. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Shammie:

Mel1959 (08-08-2018), SophieSquirrel (08-08-2018)

Red moms can speed up the growth rate of their young in response to environmental stress. Dr Joel Brown discussed this in a "squirrel seminar" I attended.

Link: https://www.livescience.com/28892-re...offspring.html

8. Serious fuzzy thank you's to SophieSquirrel from:

Shammie (08-08-2018)

Quote Originally Posted by SophieSquirrel View Post
    Red moms can speed up the growth rate of their young in response to environmental stress. Dr Joel Brown discussed this in a "squirrel seminar" I attended.

Link: https://www.livescience.com/28892-re...offspring.html
    Thank you for sharing this, very interesting!

When it's hot they tend to sleep in drays or hammocks in your case but when the weather changes they use the nest boxes or holes in trees (or attics, etc.) I have four spring releases who still come around the release cage (but don't go inside) and I had to reduce the amount they get to encourage them to leave the deck and forage for themselves. (In retaliation they hung on the windows, jumped on our backs when we came outside and ate ALL of the green tomatoes on my brother's upper deck plants and he is not happy.) Now they "check in" once a day but don't just lay around the cage all day waiting for hand outs.

May be you could set up a feeding area away from the release cage if you think she has somewhere else to sleep anyway, close the hole to keep her out, when it's time. That way you can still enjoy her company and feed her but get her out of the habit of going into the cage. Mel is right you have a while before they will go out anyway.

I hang a nest box for every one I release before winter rolls in and also open the portal to the RC during the winter so anyone can use it.

11. Serious fuzzy thank you's to cava from:

Mel1959 (08-09-2018)