Thread: 4 1/2 month old American red squirrel release question

Threaded View

Default 4 1/2 month old American red squirrel release question

A few weeks ago I started a slow-release with my single American red Squirrel. She is my first squirrel I have raised, so I have many questions since I just received my rehab license and will be raising many more. The problem is she's a little too friendly and comes back everyday although she has seemed to be stashing her nuts somewhere else and sometimes sleeps somewhere else. There is another red squirrel that has been visiting her since she has been in the outdoor release cage. Now she is starting to be territorial and every time the other squirrel comes around she does her little territorial chirp dance. My question is when should I stop feeding her? I have moved her feedings to outside of the cage and have been limiting what treats I put out. I have been keeping the door open though to try to ween her off of the cage (she still likes to sleep in it sometimes).I just received a 1-2 week old gray squirrel and a 4 weeks old grey squirrel. My concern is as they get older they will have to go out to the release cage eventually and I don't want my little red to have a problem with that. How do I make this transition properly? Am I supposed to totally stop feeding my little red? I want her to still come around to visit especially since she is my first one and I will miss her very much if I don't ever see her around anymore I know Reds and Greys don't mix well. Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

2. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Shammie from:

SophieSquirrel (08-08-2018)