Thread: sort of clicking help please

atomant16345 Guest

Exclamation sort of clicking help please

we found a magpie with a baby squirrel, we scared the bird and it left the baby so we have adopted "sprout" we have worked out that she is a she and she is 43grams and about 2 weeks old, she dose alot of squeeking and clacking normally! but we havew noticed recently she is doing a clicking sound while what seems like when she breaths, or its just me thinking the worst the vets near me wont have alook (useless) so i have resorted to asking for help from here what can i do?????? trying to get medical surplies without a vet is hard in the uk so if the sell it on amazon its a bonus!

right lets diagnose sprout:-
    moves alot when hears us otherwise asleep
    really figaty when trying to handle
    always talkative
    temprature is usally 37.6 (deg C) +-1depending on time of day
    loss in apitie but will have minimal water
    sort of clicking sound when breathing

Default Re: sort of clicking help please

The loss of appetite and the clicking are 2 signs of aspiration pneumonia. Usually the clicking is with every breath, and lethargy is also a major symptom.

Antibiotics would be needed to treat. Ciprofloxacin ("Cipro") or amoxicillin / clavulanate (Augmentin is the common human version and vet version is Clavamox).

You might check your medicine cabinet for these meds, or ask relatives. Here inn the states we can buy a product called "Fish Flox" in pet stores (usually ones that specialize or deal highly with fish). If Fish Flox is not available, perhaps Fish Mox (amoxicillin) is available in pet stores?

Always a good idea to have antibiotics on hand when raising baby squirrels.

If you find any of these medicines share with us what you found (e.g. size / strength) and someone will provide dosing instructions for a 43gram squirrel. If you cannot locate the ones I mentioned, but do find some sort of antibiotic, share that info and someone will advise if it has any chance of helping AP (aspiration pneumonia).

Also, here is a primer of the basics to baby squirrel care (it is 6 pages long):
    https://www.henryspets.com/1-basic-setup/

3. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Spanky from:

Cipro is the "go to" medicine for urinary tract infections, so ask your female friends for that. Also, find out the size in milligrams. Regardless, you will only need one pill, and a 1cc syringe for dilution and dosing.

5. Serious fuzzy thank you's to CritterMom from:

atomant16345 Guest

Test pic of sprout
    Attached Images Attached Images  

atomant16345 Guest

I have a capsul of amoxicillin (500mg) she is 43grams how to work it out and give etc and how often

atomant16345 Guest

I have a short vid of her making noise but it won’t let me upload it so if u send me an email asking for it I’ll send it of if someone can try uploading it that would help my email is atomant1634594@gmail.com

Many thanks J

Quote Originally Posted by atomant16345 View Post
    I have a capsul of amoxicillin (500mg) she is 43grams how to work it out and give etc and how often
    atomant, I will dose the amoxicillin for you to use now but I would prefer that you try to find Ciprofloxacin, Septra, Bactrim, Clavamox (Augmentin) or doxycycline (tetracycline). I really don't like using amoxicillin for aspiration pneumonia.
    Of course, I would rather use the amoxicillin than nothing. Without antibiotics they don't survive aspiration pneumonia.

I will send dosing instructions in a Private Message.

Dosing sent with instructions to try to find other antibiotics.

Sorry atomant, I've been on TSB for almost 7 yrs and I still can't post a video so I can't help with that.

11. Serious fuzzy thank you's to HRT4SQRLS from:

cava (08-10-2018)

How’s your baby doing?

I received this video just a bit ago... I think this was taken today based upon the video files property, but it may have been edited today though and then sent...

Exclamation Re: sort of clicking help please

atomant16345, can you tell us when this video was taken?

And have you been giving the Amoxil HRT4SQRLS dosed for you?!?!?

Quote Originally Posted by HRT4SQRLS View Post
    I would rather use the amoxicillin than nothing. Without antibiotics they don't survive aspiration pneumonia. I will send dosing instructions in a Private Message.
    Quote Originally Posted by Spanky View Post
    atomant16345, can you tell us when this video was taken?

And have you been giving the Amoxil HRT4SQRLS dosed for you?!?!?
    Listening to that video... definitely AP.
    Step-N-Stone
    State Licensed
    Wildlife Master Rehabilitator

I sent a PM earlier and an e-mail later this afternoon... I hope he comes back (or at least responds to my e-mail). I am trying to be hopeful that this is a video from BEFORE the Amoxil was started and Sprout is doing well today...

17. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Spanky:

Nancy in New York (08-13-2018), stepnstone (08-13-2018)

Dosing information was sent on 8/6 WITH the disclaimer that we have not had good results with amoxicillin when treating aspiration pneumonia. I asked the poster to try to find other antibiotics.

The PM was never acknowledged.

19. Serious fuzzy thank you's to HRT4SQRLS from:

Spanky (08-13-2018)

Quote Originally Posted by HRT4SQRLS View Post
    Dosing information was sent on 8/6 WITH the disclaimer that we have not had good results with amoxicillin when treating aspiration pneumonia. I asked the poster to try to find other antibiotics.

The PM was never acknowledged.
    Yes, I saw that... just wish we knew if the video is from today or days ago. The silence from the poster is deafening.

I received the video as a result of a PM I sent with the email address. I HOPE he collected you PM right after you sent it.

I am praying this little one is recovered and doing well otherwise quick action must be taken!!!

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.