Thread: My Squirrel Barely Eating Don't Know What to do

Default My Squirrel Barely Eating Don't Know What to do

I don't know what to do. My girl squirrel Elizabeth is throwing up every time she tries to eat and I do not know why. What would be a good reason why she would throw up?

2. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Roky's mom from:

SophieSquirrel (08-05-2018)

Default Re: My Squirrel Barely Eating Don't Know What to do

Could she have ingested anything toxic? Ant poison, ant traps, rat poison... moldy nut... anything? Check hes stash... she might have hidden some foood that went bad.

Make sure she does not dehydrate! Try to flush what is making her ill... make her drink a lot of water, but a little at a time.

Hoping others will come and chime in soon.
    "In the midst of our lives we must find the magic that makes our souls soar."
    My darling Scooter, beloved Hami, sweet gentle Simon... YOU are the ones who brought that magic in my life. You've changed the way I see all things around me now and, because of you, I want to be a better person. This is not goodbye, my sweethearts. You be at peace, your work here on earth is done... now you are finally, truly free. Until we meet at the Bridge again, please remember that I will always love you.
    The greatness of a nation can be measured by the way it treats its animals.
    - Gandhi -

4. 3 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Scooterzmom:

Diggie's Friend (08-05-2018), island rehabber (08-05-2018), SophieSquirrel (08-05-2018)

Sounds like an intestinal blockage, to be honest, and that is very serious. How old is she and what is her diet normally like? Do you have a squirrel-friendly vet available? Is the Orlando area possible for you? (One of the best squirrel vets on the planet is there.)
    Island Rehabber
    NY State Licensed
    Wildlife Rehabilitator

"Ancora Imparo" (I am still learning)
    Michelangelo

If you can't afford the vet,
    You can't afford a pet.
    NEGLECT IS ABUSE.

"Better one day in the trees, than a lifetime in a cage."

'...and the greatest of these, is Love. '

6. Serious fuzzy thank you's to island rehabber from:

Please give some more information. What is the history, what is her diet, how old is she, what toys to you give/is she unsupervised with things she could chew and ingest, how long has this been going on, what are her poops like, have you tried anything that helps or makes it worse, does she have any other known issues (teeth, diseases, etc.)...?

8. Serious fuzzy thank you's to cava from:

Dr Emerson is the first choice but she is not always available on short notice for emergencies, you can try calling at 7AM: (386) 788-1550

Website: https://ravenwoodvet.net/our-veterin...cia-emerson-2/

If not available for IMMEDIATE emergency appointment (with Dr Emerson only) try this one as he always fits in emergencies:

Dr Santiago Diaz the top exotic vet in FL call at 9 AM tomorrow and get her in there ASAP

Phone: 407-286-3484

Address: 24 Sturtevant St, Orlando, FL 32806

Yes this vet does not mind if I post his info

10. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to SophieSquirrel:

Diggie's Friend (08-05-2018), Mel1959 (08-06-2018)

I don't know what to do. My girl squirrel Elizabeth is throwing up every time she tries to eat and I do not know why. What would be a good reason why she would throw up?
    Yes, get her to this vet asap!

You haven't by chance fed lettuce in the last few weeks? I mention this as there hass a recall on lettuces in 15 states including Florida, due to a microorganism that can cause vomiting and diarrhea. If you have fed lettuce be sure to mention this to the veterinarian. This is treatable, but it is needful to get help asap.

http://www.msn.com/en-us/health/medi...C7Z?ocid=ientp

https://medical-dictionary.thefreedi...com/Cyclospora

The illness can last a few days to a few months, and patients might feel better but then get worse again. Cyclosporiasis can be treated with antibiotics.

Illnesses have been reported in 15 states: Connecticut, Florida, Iowa, Illinois, Indiana, Kentucky, Michigan, Minnesota, Montana, Nebraska, Ohio, South Dakota, Tennessee, Virginia and Wisconsin. However, the patients in Connecticut, Michigan, Tennessee and Virginia bought their salads in Illinois while traveling, and the Florida patient bought the salad in Kentucky.

The company's salad mix recall was connected with a public health alert issued Monday by the US Department of Agriculture's Food Safety and Inspection Service advising consumers that certain salad and wrap products might be contaminated with cyclospora. The products were sold by grocery stores including Kroger, Trader Joe's and Walgreens.
    Is she pooing ok? Again, how old is she, adult, juvenile, or baby?

Is her belly bloated? Some foods are harder to digest, and can promote bloat, in particular stalked greens and cabbages. Boiling these greens reduces reduce their gassiness can help to reverse bloat and possibly entice her to eat them.

Pet Flora from Vitality Science is a source you can get that supports the well digestion of foods, and calcium absorption; it also counters bad bacteria in their gut.

In summer insects may get in the house and into the area a squirrel is living. I have seen our squirrels eat bugs on the run; yet bugs carry bad bacteria and intestinal parasites. In the wild squirrels nuts that are higher in tannins, which is a natural parasiticide that is commonly found in nuts and berries. If they don't get some tannins in their diet they may be overcome with GI distress on account of a parasitical infection, and inflammation to the lining of the intestines from sharp outer skeleton parts.

Dr. Goodpet also offers a different complement of pre probiotics. https://www.amazon.com/Dr-Goodpet-Pr...pet+probiotics

https://www.amazon.com/Pet-Flora-cap...ience+for+cats

1/64 Tsp. to 1/32 Tsp. daily.

12. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Diggie's Friend from:

Quote Originally Posted by Roky's mom View Post
    I want to say thank you for all the advice. I am planning to call Dr. Emerson in the morning. Elizabeth's diet is Henry's block and vegetables with 1 piece of fruit , and 1 nut in the evening, anytime she is out of he crate she is always supervised.

14. 3 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Roky's mom:

Diggie's Friend (08-06-2018), island rehabber (08-06-2018), TubeDriver (08-06-2018)

I would encourage you to check the brand of lettuces you may feed from the articles on lettuce recall.